• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Buying reasons importance hierarchy ranking -- what's yours?

What order are these 3 Lightning benefits on your importance list?

• Total voters

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
I am curious to the buying reasoning for the Lightning community. The 3 primary reasons I hear for buying the Lightning or really any EV vs the ICE equivalent are the following.... No tailpipe emissions, Performance, and Operating costs. What order are these 3 on your importance list?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
No emissions and performance are the big ones for me. In that order. Operating savings just let me afford a more expensive trim!

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
Until recently, it was the incredible value of a MY 22 PRO at $40k with $7,500 tax credit, then the utility of a crew cab pickup with frunk, then performance, then low o&m cost.....but that's just me.

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
convenience is definitely next on the list… I didn’t want the poll list to get too long!

Sponsored
OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Until recently, it was the incredible value of a MY 22 PRO at $40k with $7,500 tax credit, then the utility of a crew cab pickup with frunk, then performance, then low o&m cost.....but that's just me.
yea, from my perspective Ford threw a few loss leader PRO's out there... if you or anyone got one, good on you! The buy in price definitely won't be the majority of Lightning owners due if nothing else to realistic supply. If demand for Lariat or XLT ER or even Platinum remains saturated Ford will not saturate the "PRO" demand. Nor should they.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
The Frunk is what did it for me so that all of the boxes of a pick up were checked.

1. Secure storage
2. Spacious cab
3. Pick up bed for messy things that my wife wants from Home Depot that I refused to put in the back of my then newish Suburban

Being a BEV is just a huge bonus!

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for all your responses... this is kind of what I suspected but results so far are definitely cementing my beliefs. Not many people here are buying with the "Eco Reason" being the top reason. This is Exactly why Ford used their top macho (Mustang & F150) name plates for reinvigorating their EV efforts instead of focusing on "Eco" branding/market.

For me the savings is the "justification" and top reason over just another ICE truck. It will save me $100's a month vs my 14 MPG Nissan Titan. Number 2 is performance, a distant # 3 is no tailpipe emissions. I would probably put convenience (no gas station stops) and functionality (frunk) over the potential eco benefits.

Ford F-150 Lightning Buying reasons importance hierarchy ranking -- what's yours? Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 6.02.41 AM

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
1. I'd rather charge at home than go to a gas station.

2. I drive about 30k miles a year and I'm tired of going to gas stations.

3. I really hate going to gas stations.
I probably drive 1/4 the miles you do. I still hate gas stations (unless I'm on a road trip). Late for work.. oh no got to get gas. Done with work.. want to stop for gas!? Heck no! Going out to a fully fueled vehicle every morning is very high in my list of reasons.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Well, wanting it for environmental reasons or not, I am just glad that more folks are going to EVs that that some more, great, options are hitting the market.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I probably drive 1/4 the miles you do. I still hate gas stations (unless I'm on a road trip). Late for work.. oh no got to get gas. Done with work.. want to stop for gas!? Heck no! Going out to a fully fueled vehicle every morning is very high in my list of reasons.
I had to go to the gas station a couple of nights ago after work to make sure I had enough to get to work and back for the next day. I drive 1 hour one way, and have a 12 hour shift. By the time I got to the gas station, I'm 15+ hours into my day. I just want to go home and eat dinner so I can go to bed and it just so happens the pump was running about half speed that night. Took 20 minutes to fill my 36 gallon tank, thus adding about 30 minutes to my commute home.

I'm done. Can't wait to just come home and plug in.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
1. No tailpipe emissions
2. A truck, because I need ground clearance
3. Big enough for a family of four and a 55lb dog

I’m still trying to figure out what to replace our minivan with, there’s nothing available that is equivalent (R1S?) without spending 90k+.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
1. No tailpipe emissions
2. A truck, because I need ground clearance
3. Big enough for a family of four and a 55lb dog

I’m still trying to figure out what to replace our minivan with, there’s nothing available that is equivalent (R1S?) without spending 90k+.
The Hyundai/Kia twins are supposed to have something out in the next year or so. VW Buzz should also come to the US next year.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I am a gadget guy, so much so that my family has always come to me for the tech questions. Things like computers, TV, camera and anything electronic they are having problems with or want to purchase they see me first. I was nine days late to reserve, for the life of me I can not figure out how I missed out on even knowing the lightning was coming out until the day I reserved.
I'm usually up on on the new tech coming but a EV F150 was not even on my radar. I wanted a EV but didn't want to give up my truck for one.
So my reasons are.

1. No more Gas
2. Latest technology
3. I cant be without a truck

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
1) Point in time, Federal and State tax incentives made this the cheapest EV I could buy, 2nd only to the Nissan Leaf.

2) Given the relationship and Ford's history of badge engineering, I thought it would be a Rivian R1T with a F-150 shell.

3) Made a bet with my neighbor that I could get a F-150L before he gets his Cybertruck, I win.

In order of least important to most important. 3 obviously trumps all the rest.
Sponsored