• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
I don’t think so!? Will it improve my range?
I believe it does mine. I seldom have to touch the brake because the vehicle uses all the braking more efficiently to put the energy back into your battery. Here's a simple test. Drive as you would normally without one pedal driving, coming up to a stop sign. Once you come to a complete stop you'll see your regenerative braking score. Now turn on one pedal driving and repeat that procedure without using your brake pedal. Note you may need to let up on the accelerator a bit sooner than you did when you were using your brake pedal. Also turn on what's called vehicle hold which will keep your vehicle from creeping while at a stop sign when your foot is off the accelerator. Your braking efficiency should have gone to 100% as long as you don't use the brake pedal.
Sponsored

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
I’m in the middle of a return trip home across the eastern KS charging abyss. I will put together a comprehensive trip analysis. But I have a couple of observations while I’m sitting in Chanute KS on a L2 charger getting enough Juice to get home. XLT SR.
Cooler weather has a significant impact on range.

- Driving to KC speed control set to 62 mph 196.5 miles covered. Started with 100% arrived with 22%. M/KWh showed 2.4. No wind. Temps started at 90 and cooled to 73.

-Return trip temps started at 74 degrees and have cooled to 60. No wind driving the exact same route and speed. HVAC off. Getting 2.3 M/KWh and dropping as it cools.
-This morning made an early run to the KCI airport started with a cold truck @55 degrees F. HVAC was set to 66. Lost 12 (net) miles of range on a 60 mile round trip. (72 miles loss on a 60 mile trip),
- Finally I haven’t found any indicator when the cabin heat is on when in auto mode. I could tell with trip energy that cabin heat was being consumed. On the airport run 10% of the trip energy went to battery and cabin conditioning.
I'm normally driving alone so I set my cabin heat fairly low in the winter and use my heated seats to save energy.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
Is that also 100% city? Very impressive. I have a 52 mile round trip commute for work. I currently do roughly 70 city/30 highway but can easily modify route to be 100% city. You've got me thinking if the extra 10 min would be worth that extra efficiency.
All city driving will definitely increase your mileage range. While driving in the city only my range can easily be as good as 3/mpk.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
Lariat ER with ~1800mi on the odometer. My guess-o-meter says about ~250 miles on a full charge. That doesn't surprise me - most of my driving is either at/above 80mph on the highway or doing *brisk* acceleration around town. I would expect the number to go down even further in the colder temps that are now upon us. Generally my trips indicate about 1.8 mi/kwh so that lines up.
I'd say that's pretty good range driving an average speed of 80 mph.

Sponsored

daveross1212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tahoe Z71, 22 X5 45e, '22 F150L Lariat ER
I believe it does mine. I seldom have to touch the brake because the vehicle uses all the braking more efficiently to put the energy back into your battery. Here's a simple test. Drive as you would normally without one pedal driving, coming up to a stop sign. Once you come to a complete stop you'll see your regenerative braking score. Now turn on one pedal driving and repeat that procedure without using your brake pedal. Note you may need to let up on the accelerator a bit sooner than you did when you were using your brake pedal. Also turn on what's called vehicle hold which will keep your vehicle from creeping while at a stop sign when your foot is off the accelerator. Your braking efficiency should have gone to 100% as long as you don't use the brake pedal.
Using the brake pedal on the truck does not mean you are using the friction brakes. I see zero difference in efficiency using 1PD vs not - in either mode you are using the exact same amount of regen to slow down, and in either mode if you need to slow down more than the regen system is capable of delivering, the friction brakes are used.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Yep, I use the brake pedal and still easily get 100% brake score. I've never used one pedal driving and average better than 2.6mpk (2.8 in cooler temps).

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I’m at 2.6mpk since may when i reset my tripmeter. Winter (nov-april) was 1.8mpk. This spring/summer i’m at about 4000 miles of mostly commuting (80% highway). No big roadtrips this year. August through November last year was at 2.4, so a bit higher this year likely due to the span of may-june which was pretty mild. Overall i’m at 2.1 mpk since gettin the truck. I figure i must be close to tipping over to 2.2 all time since i’ve been consistently at 2.6 for 5 months. Overall pretty good.

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
In 3,666 commute miles (~ 88 miles a day) I averaged 2.6 mi/KWh. With a 131 KWh battery that’s 340 miles but… since I rarely charge to 100% I never see that.

But every day I track the 10% of battery useage and I’m consistently at 3.14-3.23 miles per 1% for the first 10% or 31.4-32.3 miles. I backed checked for an entire month (August: 2743 miles) of use via ChargePoint HomeFlex data and my monthly average of mile/power delivered via charger was 319.9 miles. That includes preconditioning. I’ve no complaints. Of note: 88 Commute miles =
24 miles 53-58 mph (rural 2-lane highway)
24 miles 25-50 mph (Town-rural/urban).

Since that 2.6 mi/KWh is August and late July are similar I deem that “Summer mileage”. With fall here I expect that to drop to 2.2-2.3.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
3.2 if I drive 45 in otherwise perfect conditions and little terrain(300+ miles)

2.5 under more 'normal' faster speeds and some terrain and weather(especially high 90s)

1.4 if towing my 3,000lb single-axle camper, which I have for maybe 15,000 miles so far...

Sponsored

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
Using the brake pedal on the truck does not mean you are using the friction brakes. I see zero difference in efficiency using 1PD vs not - in either mode you are using the exact same amount of regen to slow down, and in either mode if you need to slow down more than the regen system is capable of delivering, the friction brakes are used.
I definitely disagree. Proof is indicated on the left side of your dash display. If you don't use your brakes to come to a complete stop that value will indicate 100% regenerative braking. If you use your brake pedal even slightly to come to a complete stop you will see less than 100% regenerative braking. When it's right in front of your eyes, it's impossible to deny that one pedal driving can achieve 100% regenerative braking where even slightly using the brake pedal reduces the efficiency of regenerative braking. Think what you want, but I'm convinced one pedal driving saves me energy.

daveross1212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tahoe Z71, 22 X5 45e, '22 F150L Lariat ER
I definitely disagree. Proof is indicated on the left side of your dash display. If you don't use your brakes to come to a complete stop that value will indicate 100% regenerative braking. If you use your brake pedal even slightly to come to a complete stop you will see less than 100% regenerative braking. When it's right in front of your eyes, it's impossible to deny that one pedal driving can achieve 100% regenerative braking where even slightly using the brake pedal reduces the efficiency of regenerative braking. Think what you want, but I'm convinced one pedal driving saves me energy.
Uhhh what? I use the brake pedal all the time and see 100% unless I consciously decide to drive like an a-hole, and in those circumstances, if I was in 1PD mode, I would be using the brake pedal too.

It's pretty easy to see where the limits of regen braking are (where the power guage goes into the green) and as long as you don't brake hard enough to max it out (thus engaging the friction brakes) you will see a 100% score.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
Uhhh what? I use the brake pedal all the time and see 100% unless I consciously decide to drive like an a-hole, and in those circumstances, if I was in 1PD mode, I would be using the brake pedal too.

It's pretty easy to see where the limits of regen braking are (where the power guage goes into the green) and as long as you don't brake hard enough to max it out (thus engaging the friction brakes) you will see a 100% score.
That's impossible, while in one pedal driving if I use the brakes at all to come to a stop I don't get 100% regenerative braking.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired

Whatever, I only use my brake pedal to move the shifter when required. Never touch that pedal when driving. I LOVE ONE PEDAL DRIVING.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
This is not the case for me. I can still use the brake pedal and keep it only in the regeneration mode until stopped. While I use one pedal mostly, I have noticed the more aggressive nature. So maybe you are heavier on the brake then I am causing you to pass regeneration into the brake pad.
Sponsored