• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Vs. all Others

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
So my question to all is ⚡ worth it? Any current owner issues?
Yes. I traded a 2013 FX4 and would not go back. From build quality, to safety features, to tech package, my ER Lariat blows it all away. It's had a few issues but all have been dealt with by my local dealer with no headaches. So far they've reupholstered the front seat, repaired the bed-liner on the rear gate, repaired a faulty harness for the rear camera, and taken care of all other recalls for hardware and software.

Added bonuses includes the quietness of the truck, ability to backup my house, outlets out the a**, tons of lockable dry storage, full size spare, low fuel cost (I have lots of solar) and I'm not driving the Wiener Mobile down the street that draws a crowd of 50 people every time I stop.

Forgot the mention, access to Teslas network in 2024 checks off the box for the biggest nuisance of owning the truck; the coordination it takes for long trips. Some people aren't willing to take on the task of planning stops since we're all use to "oh look, I'm at 1/4 tank. Better stop at the next exit and fuel up".
Sponsored

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Sorry in advance, but this always bugs me. Keep your units straight. Day /= week. Also would help to state your assumptions. What's your kWh rate at home? And what is your local gas price per gallon?
not OP, but here is an example for me with numbers you can adjust to your specific case

Mileage per year ~15,000

Gas cost $3.00/gal (actually closer to $4.30 because I used premium, but using regular for wider applicability)

Previous F150 efficiency - 16mpg (was closer to 13 mpg in my raptor, but went back to my 2016 XLT)

Lightning efficiency to date - 1.8 mi/kWh

Charging efficiency - 0.95

cost per kWh - 18.5c (highest seen over 12 months)

ICE cost per year = (15000mi / 16mpg) * $3/gal = $2,812

Lightning cost per year = (15000mi / (1.8mpk * 0.95))*.0185 = $1,632

Savings per year = ~$1,200 or $100/mo.

azypather

First Name
Azy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Merc GLe 350, 2018 VW Golf SE, 2023 F150 - L
Occupation
IT Consultant
Lariat SR, Feb 10th was my 1 year anniversary. I absolutely love my truck. The space, the luxury, the acceleration, the ride, the quiet...can't be beat. It's the perfect vehicle for local use. The only thing I'd do different is get the ER, but even then, not for typical long distance road tripping, which I don't do more than twice per year anyway. I live in Navarre, FL and drive to Mobile, AL a few times per year...that's a 200-220 mile round trip. I thought it would be fine for the SR but at 80 mph on the interstate, I wouldn't get more than 140ish miles. Stopping for a 30-40 minute recharge on a short trip like that does not make sense to me. This is a gripe that's unique to me but my ICE backup is decent enough for those rare trips I sadly leave my truck in the driveway!

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Pro SR for my local commute and occasional truck needs (including local towing) has been a great vehicle. Best truck I ever owned, even in the "work truck" trim. Love the comfort of the huge cab.

Hard to beat the value of the 2022 Pro SR which had a sticker around $44k ($39k base + max tow, pro-power, tailgate step) when I bought it.

AI_Speed

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Investor
My first test drive. Well my local dealer is offering $7,500 off MSRP to match the $7,500 POS instant credit. Great deal, $15k off but after owning a Model 3 and seeing how cheep they were assembled we are having hard time on EV vs Gas. I don’t haul or tow so I would be good with this as an EV truck and as great daily driver.. And it’s way cheaper than the EV Chevy, Ram and CT once these $30k-$80k more expensive options are finally released. Know purchasing this ⚡ will save a lot of we money compared to EV comps. So my question to all is ⚡ worth it? Any current owner issues?
I may pursue a buy back given so many service calls - but am open to buying a '25 if FMC provides incentives. Take it for a test drive in all road conditions and see if you don't agree it has the best ride/handling vs. most anything - plus the power-speed is amazing - are you leaning toward a buy? Functional range is an issue even with an ER - given heat/cold 20-80% fast charge limits and NACS-Tesla infrastructure will help but infrastructure is still an issue.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BlueLightning

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
Sorry in advance, but this always bugs me. Keep your units straight. Day /= week. Also would help to state your assumptions. What's your kWh rate at home? And what is your local gas price per gallon?
Ha ha, true, charging at $7-$8 a week, is better than $50-$70 a week on gas on same size truck. Take care.

Reactions: cal
OP
OP
BlueLightning

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
Well the mission is done, ended up getting Blue Lightning. lol. Thanks all for the great info.
Sponsored