• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Vs. all Others

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
My first test drive. Well my local dealer is offering $7,500 off MSRP to match the $7,500 POS instant credit. Great deal, $15k off but after owning a Model 3 and seeing how cheep they were assembled we are having hard time on EV vs Gas. I don’t haul or tow so I would be good with this as an EV truck and as great daily driver.. And it’s way cheaper than the EV Chevy, Ram and CT once these $30k-$80k more expensive options are finally released. Know purchasing this ⚡ will save a lot of we money compared to EV comps. So my question to all is ⚡ worth it? Any current owner issues?
Sponsored

Last edited:

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
There are several issues that plague some people. The most obtrusive one seems to be that there was likely a run of bad battery modules. Once the trucks figures that out it results in a series of messages to "Stop safely now" and basically stop driving the truck. Getting it into a reputable dealer service center seems to get you back on the road in a week. Some people have seen it take months or result in a lemon law, or buyback from ford.

Look through this forum for "stop safely now" or HVB failures for the gory details.

That said I think this is pretty rare, and most other issues are minor. I personally have a problem with camera alignment and finding a service tech who know what to do about it. But it's not a big deal.

I think the body panels and interior bits you'll find the quality far outdoes Tesla's lately. Everything about this truck is a solid truck. In sport mode it outperforms my Mustang MachE (I didn't have the GTPE). I think the only thing people really complain about is that it's a power hog, 2.0 miles/kWh is pretty low compared to things that aren't such a brick shape, but I use it for hauling loads around town quite often and it's a solid work horse. And I use it for moving the family around, and we're all comfortable. And I use it to get groceries cause solar power means it's always cheaper to operate than the most fuel efficient ICE.

OP
OP
BlueLightning

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
I use it to get groceries cause solar power means it's always cheaper to operate than the most fuel efficient ICE.
Awesome information. Yes I would only use for daily driver vs a ICE truck. So looks to be a better option for those who prefer trucks. And $2-$4 a day charging is way better than $50-$70 a week in a ICE truck . That’s another issue the transitioning from ICE to EV…Decisions, decisions. Thanks again

ekaddo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning,VolvoXC90T6, BMW1250RT
Occupation
Consultant
I am one year in to my lighting, it's my first EV and my 7th F-150. So I am partial to F150s. But so far I have had 34,000 stress free miles. The only issue I've had is a generic F150 issue (window switch), not EV related. This is the fastest and smoothest driving F150 so far. And the savings are huge, with regarding putting premium gas in an ecoboost vs. $19/month home charging (90% of the time),. With a ~200 mile round trip commute, the saving are awesome. If I had to complain, it would be on software updates resetting my radio presets.

OP
OP
BlueLightning

BlueLightning

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 ⚡XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
I am one year in to my lighting, it's my first EV and my 7th F-150. So I am partial to F150s. But so far I have had 34,000 stress free miles. The only issue I've had is a generic F150 issue (window switch), not EV related. This is the fastest and smoothest driving F150 so far. And the savings are huge, with regarding putting premium gas in an ecoboost vs. $19/month home charging (90% of the time),. With a ~200 mile round trip commute, the saving are awesome. If I had to complain, it would be on software updates resetting my radio presets.
This is great info. Making it easier to decide. Thanks.

Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
I don't see any point in buying a new one at this point. The market is saturated with used models that can be had at a huge savings.

You can get a 22/23 ER Lariat under 10k miles all day for under 58k without even haggling.

If you only want a SR, you can get sub 50k for the same trim.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I don't see any point in buying a new one at this point. The market is saturated with used models that can be had at a huge savings.

You can get a 22/23 ER Lariat under 10k miles all day for under 58k without even haggling.

If you only want a SR, you can get sub 50k for the same trim.
Agreed. A used one is the way to go.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
The truck is amazing.

I am also very fortunate to have a fantastic dealer. That's the important part, make sure you have a capable dealer. There are more horror stories about bad service than anything else.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Unpopular opinion(s) incoming. If you don't haul or tow there are more luxurious alternatives for the money than an EV truck. If you road trip they will also be faster.

If I were to do it again, I would go for the cheapest Lightning model possible. I'm of the opinion that the ride and noise are better with the 800 lbs lighter battery pack and solid roof.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Unpopular opinion(s) incoming. If you don't haul or tow there are more luxurious alternatives for the money than an EV truck. If you road trip they will also be faster.

If I were to do it again, I would go for the cheapest Lightning model possible. I'm of the opinion that the ride and noise are better with the 800 lbs lighter battery pack and solid roof.
This is not an unpopular opinion. I think most of us here agree that there are better alternatives for the price point. That being said, if you need the space, comfort and bed then it's hard to beat unless you get an ICE.

Rivian also just came out with cheaper R1T also.

Sponsored

Mcgyverrod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning LariatER (Rec'd 7/13/23)
Occupation
Retired x2
There are several issues that plague some people. The most obtrusive one seems to be that there was likely a run of bad battery modules. Once the trucks figures that out it results in a series of messages to "Stop safely now" and basically stop driving the truck. Getting it into a reputable dealer service center seems to get you back on the road in a week. Some people have seen it take months or result in a lemon law, or buyback from ford.

Look through this forum for "stop safely now" or HVB failures for the gory details.

That said I think this is pretty rare, and most other issues are minor. I personally have a problem with camera alignment and finding a service tech who know what to do about it. But it's not a big deal.

I think the body panels and interior bits you'll find the quality far outdoes Tesla's lately. Everything about this truck is a solid truck. In sport mode it outperforms my Mustang MachE (I didn't have the GTPE). I think the only thing people really complain about is that it's a power hog, 2.0 miles/kWh is pretty low compared to things that aren't such a brick shape, but I use it for hauling loads around town quite often and it's a solid work horse. And I use it for moving the family around, and we're all comfortable. And I use it to get groceries cause solar power means it's always cheaper to operate than the most fuel efficient ICE.
I am surprised you only get 2.0 mi/kwh. I live in the mountains with 1300 ft of elevation to and from my home and still get 2.4 mi/kwh over 7,000 miles

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I am surprised you only get 2.0 mi/kwh. I live in the mountains with 1300 ft of elevation to and from my home and still get 2.4 mi/kwh over 7,000 miles
I should have clarified at high speed. My lifetime average since I bought it in November, about 3300 miles, has been 2.5, Phoenix is warm and flat, and I do a mix of short slow kid shuttling and long range freeway driving across town.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I would do it again!

I have a Lariat ER loaded with all the towing technology even though I don’t see me towing anytime soon.

It’s our first EV and we have not been disappointed. No significant issues and ride likes a luxury car (on steroids).

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have had mine for just over a year. I have also had zero issues. My local small town dealer has also been a pleasant surprise, the light bar recall and customer satisfaction program fixes were all done in a day.

It's a wonderful vehicle. The frunk is fantastic, especially on road trips to keep things secure. The truck comfortably fits 5 grown adults. I've had some big boys ride with me comfortably, and I myself am on the larger side. It's quiet, I like the interior finish, plus the plethora of aftermarket support. I just ordered a bed cap, unlike Tesla or others, there's no need for a bespoke solution, I just went to my local truck solutions store and ordered it from Leer. There's a lot to be said about sharing components with one of the most popular family of vehicles ever (F-Series).

I could honestly go on and on. I paid close to 90k for mine at the peak price. I don't regret it and would get it again. So if you have the opportunity to get it for below 70, I think you'll find it well worth the cost.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Pro for a year and I highly recommend it. I am very happy with the level of automation, sound system, comfort, quietness, performance and overall value of my ride. I only have 8K on mine so I can't speak to long term reliability but so far other than software updates, it has been very predictable and reliable.

If you do a lot of local drives, you can get great numbers with very little penalty for the shape of the truck. But if you don't need a truck and are on the highway all the time, I would get something more efficient.

It does turn like an aircraft carrier so if you are coming from small cars and tight spaces, you may have to adjust.

No regrets here.
Sponsored