• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning vs Silverado EV after the latest ford price increases/feature deletes?

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
I don’t know how anyone can trust Chevy to deliver a product after the Bolt debacle. It literally tainted the image of EVs for a lot of people. I still literally have people ask if I am scared of my Lightning catching fire.

Maybe in 2-3 generations and they have PROVEN reliability, these would be comparable.
Sponsored

OP
OP

sando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I don’t know how anyone can trust Chevy to deliver a product after the Bolt debacle. It literally tainted the image of EVs for a lot of people. I still literally have people ask if I am scared of my Lightning catching fire.

Maybe in 2-3 generations and they have PROVEN reliability, these would be comparable.
https://datahub.transportation.gov/stories/s/38mw-dp8u

Ford is #1 on vehicles affected by recalls this calendar year. Ford is also behind Chevy on jd power reliability ratings.

Do you remember how Ford recently had to recall mach Es for their windshields and sunroofs being improperly attached and having potential to fly off while driving?

Point is, assuming any manufacturer (especially the long-standing American brands) guarantees reliability is pointless. They all have major problems and do their best to avoid spending the money to make things right.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
You won't get lower trim Silverado EV until at least 2025, plus, Chevy would increase price for sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP

sando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
You won't get lower trip Silverado EV until at least 2025, please, Chevy would increase price for sure.
what do you think Chevy will remove for an 80k trim? 2025 is a realistic expectation, and there will also be even more competition in 2025 than today. We will probably see a RAM EV, more rivian offerings, a cyber truck, and maybe even other startups like Canoo in 2025. I'd say that there's a really high chance that Chevy will offer 400mile range Silverado at that price point in 2025 to stay competitive.

If ford doesn't have their ground-up lightning redesign out by then, do you think they will lower their prices drastically? I don't see ford getting range increases until that time. Offering a 240 range SR lariat for 80k in 2025 would be horrible.

Side note: It looks like GMs ultium platform is very modular and they are able to swap out individual sections of the battery packs over time. As prices fall and battery chemistry advances in the future, it wouldn't be unreasonable to see GM in a position where they can make incremental improvements to range and power while keeping costs down, where other manufacturers would have to redesign/replace their entire battery pack

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
what do you think Chevy will remove for an 80k trim? 2025 is a realistic expectation, and there will also be even more competition in 2025 than today. We will probably see a RAM EV, more rivian offerings, a cyber truck, and maybe even other startups like Canoo in 2025. I'd say that there's a really high chance that Chevy will offer 400mile range Silverado at that price point in 2025 to stay competitive.

If ford doesn't have their ground-up lightning redesign out by then, do you think they will lower their prices drastically? I don't see ford getting range increases until that time. Offering a 240 range SR lariat for 80k in 2025 would be horrible.
For $80k, I see Chevy offering between 250 and 300 miles of range, reduced power, and a trimmed down interior. They will likely keep the mid gate and multi-function tailgate, though potentially as options. I would guess air suspension will be gone or part of an expensive (off road) options package.

They will likely keep the 800V architecture which should keep the high charging speeds.

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I'd say that there's a really high chance that Chevy will offer 400mile range Silverado at that price point in 2025 to stay competitive.
Model X price increased from 90k to 120.1k, a 34.4% increase, mainly due to battery material price increase and inflation. Chevy has no reason to escape.

Just look at Cybertruck price increase.

OP
OP

sando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
For $80k, I see Chevy offering between 250 and 300 miles of range, reduced power, and a trimmed down interior. They will likely keep the mid gate and multi-function tailgate, though potentially as options. I would guess air suspension will be gone or part of an expensive (off road) options package.

They will likely keep the 800V architecture which should keep the high charging speeds.
Interesting take. I definitely see them keeping the midgate as a competition-differentiator, but I'm not sure if we would see range that low. We at least know that they are planning on offering the fleet work truck as a 400+ mile range trim, so perhaps they will have a similar strategy to ford but with better numbers. 300mile SR and 400 ER might happen. If that is the case, I hope they decouple the battery choices from other parts of the trim packaging so we don't have to deal with the ER xlt scenario.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I get your concerns and you know your needs/finances; but, the potential for price increases (either from direct costs or feature deletions) is exactly why I chose not to defer my order until MY 2023. An additional consideration for me was the potential loss of use cost of not having a fuel efficient pickup.

I wanted (and only need) an XLT badly, but they were all gone by Wave 4…so, I bit the bullet and ordered/took delivery of my Lariat ER. My brother in law chose to wait….he is regretting it for everything I noted above…..

We can spend a lot of time analyzing pros/cons/features, but if the vehicle will do what you need it to….and, you have the opportunity to buy, do so…. ”….he who hesitates is lost….” as my dad used to tell me. My corollary to that phrase is “He who hesitates is last”.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
If chevy can get the payload to 1700 then I'll think about it. 1200 like they were advertising is not usable for myself.

OP
OP

sando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I get your concerns and you know your needs/finances; but, the potential for price increases (either from direct costs or feature deletions) is exactly why I chose not to defer my order until MY 2023. An additional consideration for me was the potential loss of use cost of not having a fuel efficient pickup.

I wanted (and only need) an XLT badly, but they were all gone by Wave 4…so, I bit the bullet and ordered/took delivery of my Lariat ER. My brother in law chose to wait….he is regretting it for everything I noted above…..

We can spend a lot of time analyzing pros/cons/features, but if the vehicle will do what you need it to….and, you have the opportunity to buy, do so…. ”….he who hesitates is lost….” as my dad used to tell me. My corollary to that phrase is “He who hesitates is last”.
Yep, 100%. I will likely order a 2023 Lariat SR for the price of a 2022 Lariat ER. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Part of my original reasoning for making this thread was to find out why some folks have the sentiment that the Silverado EV "isn't a real truck" or "can't do as many truck things as a lightning", when it seems to me that it has more truck usability features than the current short bed lightning. I get people will either hate or love the styling, but from an actual feature perspective - the Silverado EV seems to have a really nice offering.

Sponsored
OP
OP

sando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
If chevy can get the payload to 1700 then I'll think about it. 1200 like they were advertising is not usable for myself.
What's weird to me is that the stripped down (and presumably much lighter) work truck has a 1200 lb payload capacity, but the loaded SRT is over 1300lb.

This is the opposite that we see on the lightning where loading up with features makes you lose 600lb or so of payload.

It makes me wonder if we will get a mid level trim that has the internals of the SRT but less crap jammed in it (weight) and more payload.

They claim that a 20,000lb towing capacity trim is in the works, so perhaps that also means they will make a much higher payload capacity trim as well.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Yep, 100%. I will likely order a 2023 Lariat SR for the price of a 2022 Lariat ER. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Part of my original reasoning for making this thread was to find out why some folks have the sentiment that the Silverado EV "isn't a real truck" or "can't do as many truck things as a lightning", when it seems to me that it has more truck usability features than the current short bed lightning. I get people will either hate or love the styling, but from an actual feature perspective - the Silverado EV seems to have a really nice offering.
I agree. I used to drive a Chevy 1500 WT for work and loved it….if GM had been first to the table with an EV pickup, I would have probably purchased one and been happy. That said, I’m very happy with my Lightning!!! ….and my brother-in-law is terribly envious 😎

OP
OP

sando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I agree. I used to drive a Chevy 1500 WT for work and loved it….if GM had been first to the table with an EV pickup, I would have probably purchased one and been happy. That said, I’m very happy with my Lightning!!! ….and my brother-in-law is terribly envious 😎
I too am envious of everyone who has gotten their lightning already :)

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
If the extra development time to do the Silverado from scratch allows GM to reduce components, moving functionally in to a single CPU (ala Tesla), that may allow them to avoid supply constraints. This would enable easier feature additions, and better software.

I am sure they will cost reduce the interior to stay competitive, but the range and faster charge rate is a winner for me. GM has done enough EVs that I would feel comfortable buying in the second year of the first version.

Ford was smart to use so much of the current ICE F150. It reduced time to market, and for me, alleviated most of my concern about buying in year one of the first version.

I should have a solid year+ of ownership of the Lightning before having to decide to swap.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I'm not sure how I feel about Chevy. They repurchase out bolt, though it took 6 months. They asked lots of information, which I provided within two business days on every occasion and I waited for them to get back to me in the timeframe they outlined. They always ran weeks late and it cost us an additional 3k in sales tax on our bolt replacement. The Silverado EV does have some features going for it and I have a first 5 minute reservation. I was able to order a lightning in February, so likely will not convert my Silverado EV reservation. I am more of an EV person than traditional truck person, though we have had a truck in the household since 2011. Ford won the race and luckily I got the chance to order one.
Sponsored