• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning with Enphase Battery

d2blake

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 FX4
Occupation
Engineer/Contractor
Just going to post my testing results…
Lightning pro power works in tandem with Enphase battery backup during outage if you set the system to Zero export and have the battery backup/solar started prior to connecting the lightning. This worked with the lightning pro power connected to Enphase Smart Switch grid connection. If you don’t have zero export set or you connect the pro power prior to starting the solar/battery, then the lightning will shutdown with an error.
Sponsored

rraustad

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT SR
I was wondering how to supplement a solar/battery system with the Lightning and you just proved that is possible. I wondered if the F150 generator would sync up with an existing sine wave without blowing the inverter.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Just going to post my testing results…
Lightning pro power works in tandem with Enphase battery backup during outage if you set the system to Zero export and have the battery backup/solar started prior to connecting the lightning. This worked with the lightning pro power connected to Enphase Smart Switch grid connection. If you don’t have zero export set or you connect the pro power prior to starting the solar/battery, then the lightning will shutdown with an error.
I have an Enphase storage Battery system. I have Enphase engineering updating me as to when they will be able to integrate the Lightning into their system. All I got is that the integration will be ready at the end of this year. What you saying is to set up your Storage Battery system to zero export, solar/backup engaged and then the Lightning Power Pro engaged.
Enphase is trying to basically simplify this process.
I was wondering if I can simulate a power outage by switching the 200amps circuit breaker off and engage Lightning. The Storage Battery system will be on as soon as it detects the grid is offline.
I need to get back with their Tech Support of Enphase.

OP
OP

d2blake

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 FX4
Occupation
Engineer/Contractor
I have an Enphase storage Battery system. I have Enphase engineering updating me as to when they will be able to integrate the Lightning into their system. All I got is that the integration will be ready at the end of this year. What you saying is to set up your Storage Battery system to zero export, solar/backup engaged and then the Lightning Power Pro engaged.
Enphase is trying to basically simplify this process.
I was wondering if I can simulate a power outage by switching the 200amps circuit breaker off and engage Lightning. The Storage Battery system will be on as soon as it detects the grid is offline.
I need to get back with their Tech Support of Enphase.
Yes if power goes out then you would need to change Enphase settings to zero export, make sure the change is complete, then make sure main grid is off (so when power comes back on it doesn’t feed the lightning), then connect pro power. You can also charge the lightning if there is extra solar production.

Obviously this is not a perfect solution but it works and in an emergency it gives extra power and storage. It is also very low cost.

v2h8484

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Enphase export limiting may allow AC coupling (i.e. connect the outputs) of Enphase and Pro Power under stable startup conditions because it disables solar power initially then slowly ramp up (up to minutes). However, it's unlikely to work reliably in dynamic real world conditions in general. Enphase export limiting can take seconds to respond to large power changes (e.g. solar power surge when clouds move out or A/C power demand collapse when cycling off'). During that time, large power spikes to the Pro Power inverter can happen and cause degradation/damage/shutoff. The initial Pro Power inverter shutoff observed was likely due to such power spikes.

Sponsored

LightningMcqueen

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150, 2021 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I am excited and waiting for the enphase bidirectional charger. This seems so much better than the pro charger setup.

OP
OP

d2blake

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 FX4
Occupation
Engineer/Contractor
Enphase export limiting may allow AC coupling (i.e. connect the outputs) of Enphase and Pro Power under stable startup conditions because it disables solar power initially then slowly ramp up (up to minutes). However, it's unlikely to work reliably in dynamic real world conditions in general. Enphase export limiting can take seconds to respond to large power changes (e.g. solar power surge when clouds move out or A/C power demand collapse when cycling off'). During that time, large power spikes to the Pro Power inverter can happen and cause degradation/damage/shutoff. The initial Pro Power inverter shutoff observed was likely due to such power spikes.
The initial shutoff was due to the battery/solar startup. When pro power was running and then the Enphase system started after, there is a spike when the preset startup time elapses. The instant that happens, the pro power shuts down. I ran the setup for 3 days at a trade show and that was the only time it had that issue. More testing with larger variable loads would be good to see.

The only other issue was when I had the truck charging at 1.5kW and switched to the strictly battery backup when solar production was near 0. With just a 3kWh battery, this caused an AC overload instead of the charger ramping down.

v2h8484

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
The only other issue was when I had the truck charging at 1.5kW and switched to the strictly battery backup when solar production was near 0. With just a 3kWh battery, this caused an AC overload instead of the charger ramping down.
That's expected behavior. You would need a way to dynamically change the truck charging current/power limit based on the available power capacity to avoid the problem.

Another similar overload shutdown issue is likely to occur if you have more Enphase batteries that can charge at a rate higher the Pro Power capacity. The Enphase batteries basically see Pro Power as the utility grid and will charge at max power when the batteries are low. Enphase (and most other home batteries) don't provide a way for owners to set current/power limit when charging from the utility grid.

Last edited:
OP
OP

d2blake

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 FX4
Occupation
Engineer/Contractor
That's expected behavior. You would need a way to dynamically change the truck charging current/power limit based on the available power capacity to avoid the problem.

Another similar overload shutdown issue is likely to occur if you have more Enphase batteries that can charge at a rate higher the Pro Power capacity. The Enphase batteries basically see Pro Power as the utility grid and will charge at max power when the batteries are low. Enphase (and most other home batteries) don't provide a way for owners to set current/power limit when charging from the utility grid.
Yeah, with 1.22kW from the 3kWh I just wasn’t sure if the charger would adjust to the lower maximum or what would happen with the 10s ramp down from 1.9kw.

Would take 6x3kWh to overload the pro power when charging. Solark has flexibility as you can adjust amperage. I’m sure some others can too.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
I am excited and waiting for the enphase bidirectional charger. This seems so much better than the pro charger setup.
Yep, same. I have solar with enphase microinverters, just waiting to see what their system is going to be vs go ahead with DIY and using the truck just for longer outages via generator port.

v2h8484

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Would take 6x3kWh to overload the pro power when charging.
That would require no other loads running. Realistic limit on Enphase batteries is likely much lower.

Solark has flexibility as you can adjust amperage. I’m sure some others can too.
It wold provide more control but that would not help any existing Enphase batteries since there is not DC battery access for third-party chargers. Realistically, a standalone inverter/charger like SolArk or just a programmable battery charger would not be adequate. Unless you set the charging current limit very low which is not so practical in general, you would still need a way to dynamic adjust charging current based on what other loads are running.
Sponsored