• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mach-E Recall for Battery Contactor Issues

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Recall and stop sales of Mach E.

“overheating of the vehicle’s high voltage battery main contactors, which is an electrically controlled switch for a power circuit. The issue can lead to a malfunction that could cause the vehicle not to start or immediately lose propulsion power while in motion”

Should be fixable OTA. Same equipment for the lightning?

Link to the recall notice & discussions on macheforum.com
Sponsored

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
I just posted something similar about this in the 5/23 group. The last production date of the Mach E to be effected was 5/24/22. I believe that was also the last build day that was getting their mods popped within 24hrs before the 12 day long delay that set in.

Since it's a software issue, I bet it took them time to implement software update and that's why mods have been delayed.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
May well be a hardware issue that they are working around with a SW limitation, likely to performance.

Will the stop ship free up chips for the Lightning?

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
I would think the lightning may have different spec parts as the battery size and motors are higher rated but who knows. I've had my MachE 17 trouble free months, but their a a number of owners who've had the issue and their Mach E quits.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Please change the title of this thread.the recall is not about “battery issues.”

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
May well be a hardware issue that they are working around with a SW limitation, likely to performance.
This sounds the most plausible. I bet they extend the warranty on the HVJB to 150k on models built with the older parts.

Kevin22

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Systems Test Engineer
Holy cats. I did not get a chance to order a Lightning this year so I ordered a Mach E instead. Guess who’s Mach E was built smack dab in the middle of the dates in question? Only one guess each… I will be driving my ole’ 2014 Chevy Volt for a little longer I guess?!?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Will the stop ship free up chips for the Lightning?
I am just hoping they don't gimp there performance too much, our Mach-e GT is already gimped with the 5 second limit. Since this is impacting pretty much all Mach-3 trims, they may need to drop down to like 100 HP and seriously nerf charging speeds if that is the real fix. Would be a lot of upset people (including me).

Reactions: GDN

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Recall and stop sales of Mach E.

“overheating of the vehicle’s high voltage battery main contactors, which is an electrically controlled switch for a power circuit. The issue can lead to a malfunction that could cause the vehicle not to start or immediately lose propulsion power while in motion”

Should be fixable OTA. Same equipment for the lightning?

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/14/for...nt=Intl&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1655217121
Early Teslas had a similar problem, although it definitely was hardware. I was accelerating onto a freeway when "BAM!" it felt like I was rear-ended. Negative contactor welded itself shut, car detected it, and isolated the positive contactor, leaving me without propulsion.

It turned out to be a really good thing for me, though - back then, Tesla repair facilities couldn't field-service the contactors. They swapped my revision A battery pack (90 kW max charging) with a new rev D pack (full 150 kW charging) and let me keep it. A few months later, the policy changed that your pack was your pack - they'd send yours off to get fixed, then they'd put your old one back in.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Hoping the SW limitation is just a stop gap and the govt makes them update/replace the parts. Or maybe Ford will do the right thing on their own.

Either way - just gimping the car with SW for a long term fix is a cheap way out and a very bad precedent.

Kevin22

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Systems Test Engineer
Hold on everyone. This is a stop ship not a stop sale. I believe Ford can still sell just not give you your Mach E? Selling will continue. Maybe? Check the last paragraph in the article below. A lot of confusion today!

Ford recalls 49,000 electric Mustangs, says battery may overheat
Alix Martichoux, Nexstar Media Wire
5 hours ago
Ford F-150 Lightning Mach-E Recall for Battery Contactor Issues 1640116132903

A 2022 Mustang Mach-E. (Photo: Ford/Media Kit)

(NEXSTAR) – Ford has filed a recall notice with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, directing dealers to stop delivering nearly 49,000 Mustang Mach-E electric cars as they fix an issue with a battery component that could cause it to overheat.
Dealers can still sell the Mach-E to customers, Ford spokesperson Said Deep said, but they are pausing delivery of the new cars as the issue is addressed.
Sponsored