• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Considering we got around 1/2" of snow yesterday 15-20 miles North of Dearborn the same day of the tweet, it is still cold in Michigan. My Chevy Volt has shown around a 20-25% degradation in range for the last week or so at these temps, so my expectation is that it is an ER version of the truck.
I'm a Hartland native so above 40 is shorts weather! I agree with ER though and probably not 1,000 pounds in the bed!
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
@LightningShow and @VTbuckeye have both used the right word - it is a SOC, State of charge. Is it 17% or 94% or 100% charged. That is the bigger number on the screen. The smaller number up there that says miles, is just like your DTE - Distance to Empty display if you have one today. It does not matter which auto you drive, choose any of them, that number will change and be different for any driver, ie driving style, for what you are pulling, for the weather you are in. Your ICE vehicle will try to calculate it and change depending on the circumstances.

Once you put it in drive, this number in the Lightning (or any other EV) is going to do the same thing. Two people get in two identical trucks and one may just go further than the other.

That number will never be perfect, that number will be different for each of us.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
As a reference point, the battery pack is 98kWh. To get 288 miles, the average consumption would have to be 340wh/mi.

For comparison, my Model S 75D averages 340wh/mi in mixed driving.

Unless Ford is lying about the battery size..Call me skeptical.

Wolf Man

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
"GOM: Guess-O-Meter. On the dashboard of every electric car is a gauge that estimates how many miles you have left in your battery pack...."
Ah, okay, thanks!

Sponsored

stimpy

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
As a reference point, the battery pack is 98kWh. To get 288 miles, the average consumption would have to be 340wh/mi.

For comparison, my Model S 75D averages 340wh/mi in mixed driving.

Unless Ford is lying about the battery size..Call me skeptical.
The 75D is old technology by now. My 2019 Model S LR gets 258 Wh/mile and my Wife’s Model X gets ~280 Wh/mile. The newer refreshed models are more efficient than mine.

I don’t think that the Lightning will be as efficient as the Model X due to it’s weight and aerodynamics, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility to be in the mid 300s. Probably closer to 400 every day driving, but below 60 mph I could definitely see it.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I believe it is an extended range XLT. No sun roof and black mirror caps
The screen graphic does show a dual pane sun roof. Anything is possible, but that is from the dash graphic.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Even my ICE F150 can give a wide range of Miles-until-empty after a full charge..... I mean a fuel top-off.

Regardless of what algorithm it uses to arrive at that estimate, it can't possibly predict what I'm going to do in the next 550-700 miles. (both extremes have been shown on fill up)

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
288 miles for a 320 range battery in those temperatures is actually extremally good.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Mystery solved! ?

F150_Xpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Sprinter,R1250 GSA, Husky TPI, KTM 790
That’s my entire point. That’s likely how this demo SR has been treated it’s entire life. And why it shows such a higher than normal predicted range. Real world realistic? No. Fun marketing opportunity? Yes. It’s also why this tweet exists in the first place. Ford execs are not going to share and celebrate a tweet showing a miss on specs this early on.

Not counting on it. Own multiple Tesla, most being SR trim. I know that for 99% of days I drive <20 miles. ER is simply not needed. Even towing some skis to the ocean would be a 30 mile round trip. Driving to Vegas / LA you’d have to stop to charge no matter what. So SR vs ER makes almost no difference. And generally I think that holds for 99% of owners. Anyone claiming they need the ER to support heavy use etc will be likely disappointed :/ EV is simply not yet there, stick to ICE (diesel).
That's great and accurate but since Tesla has superchargers everywhere you are not going to experience the range anxiety that others will feel not being near a level 3 charger.

As a Model 3 owner and EV owner for the past 11 years I'm staying with the ER.
Sponsored