• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Higher mileage used lightnings?

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
For the past several months, I've been gearing up towards buying a lightning. My plan had been to wait until 2025 to buy a used lightning, however due to some recent experiences, I'm quite done with my 10-year-old Tesla and decided to push up the date.

Looking at a some listings around here, and I found a used 2022 Lariat that has really caught my eye. Looks like I can save at least $10,000 on this one due to its high mileage. But that of course brings up an obvious question. Any special concerns with a higher mileage used lightning? The one in question has 60,000 km (37,000 miles) on it (there's also a platinum with 80,000 km (50,000 miles) at a good price.)

Assuming no obvious damage, what would people's concerns be buying a 2022 with those sorts of mileages on them? Anything that could be done to mitigate those concerns?
I will probably be putting about 15,000 km (9,000 miles) a year on to the truck, and plan to keep it for around 10 years. And while I obviously like lower mileage rather than higher mileage, $10,000 is a lot of money!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Battery warranty is 8 years/150,000kms. Make sure you factor that in.
Based on my estimates, I would hit that 8 years and 150,000 km at roughly the same time, so I guess the battery warranty would be fine. Pretty sure bumper to bumper warranty is already gone at that mileage not sure about drive train.

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
Usually we want the lowest miles possible but with an EV it means a little less to me. I would want to put a car scanner on it and check battery health, voltages, etc.... As long as that stuff looked normal I wouldn't worry about the milage if you ok with the warranty part of it.

OP
OP

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To clarify, how do you tell battery health?

Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Some scanners claim they can determine State Of Health (SOH). However, I have read several academic papers on efforts to develop a real SOH test since there is significant money involved in the secondary use of EV batteries. There are many factors inside the battery chemically and physically NOT visible by today's scanners. So consider those scanner readings accordingly.

How the battery has been treated in just the first year can significantly impact its capacity to hold energy and deliver power, before the end of your 10 year ownership plan. When the real SOH testers become available, resale value of an abused vehicle will be much less regardless of who is selling it.

The original warantee on that 2022 model will address your battery only if it shows more than 30% loss of capacity at the end of 6 years for you. There is a significant chance that the battery will show better than that, but will it be satisfactory to you at 70% to 75% of original capcity? That 240 mile range you regularly use today is 180 in 6 years and is not out of warantee.

Not to discourage buying used. If you can meet the prior owner they may have very good reasons why they are selling. They may have intended to keep it for ever. They may provide some clue about how far they drove between charges, what they thought the useful range is, thus how many times that truck has been nearly 100% cycled to attempts to reach it's maximum range.

I don't know the used market in Canada, but as new prices have dropped they automatically reduce used values too. There is no shortage of new trucks, so many dealers are reducing prices of new trucks and that looks like a trend may continue for awhile. There are only so many potential buyers now looking to buy.

I recommend you get the best real quote on the new truck before considering a 2 year old used truck.

OP
OP

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you for your honesty. I am no stranger to electric vehicles, being that I have driven my Tesla model S for 9 years now. And while there are risks to buying used, there's a big difference between spending $90,000 CAD (or more!) versus $65,000 CAD, and as such, some risk may be required.
I think my main concern with the high mileage vehicle like this, is that I have no way of knowing if that high mileage was because they were pushing the battery to the limits every day, and fast charging frequently, in which case degradation could be a serious concern. Unfortunately, the private sale used market for lightnings near here is basically non-existent, which means it's all dealers, which means there's no chance of having any real knowledge of the history of that particular vehicle beyond what shows up in a carfax report.

RI fisherman

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lighting on order
Thank you for your honesty. I am no stranger to electric vehicles, being that I have driven my Tesla model S for 9 years now. And while there are risks to buying used, there's a big difference between spending $90,000 CAD (or more!) versus $65,000 CAD, and as such, some risk may be required.
I think my main concern with the high mileage vehicle like this, is that I have no way of knowing if that high mileage was because they were pushing the battery to the limits every day, and fast charging frequently, in which case degradation could be a serious concern. Unfortunately, the private sale used market for lightnings near here is basically non-existent, which means it's all dealers, which means there's no chance of having any real knowledge of the history of that particular vehicle beyond what shows up in a carfax report.
I have an early 2022 Lariat ER with "high millage" lol 36,000 I have had zero issues with Themis truck other than one recall where the replaced the rear tail light because of moisture. Dealer gave me a free 2024 rental truck and had it back in a few days. Honestly this is the best vehicle I have ever owned and while not for everyone's use case works perfect for me. I was on the fence about owning such a new model long term but it's given me no reason to not have confidence. One other thing is you can buy an extended range warranty or "service plan" for pretty cheap as well check out https://www.floodfordesp.com/

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I wouldn't buy a SR Lightning used if you need years of range reliability.

If these are at Ford dealerships ask for maintenance, repairing recall list from service. If not Ford, get VIN and ask local Ford service to check for you.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
In general there are risks like any used vehicle, but I wouldn't necessarily call 37k miles "high mileage" even for a two-year old truck. That's less than 20k per year which is regular for lots of people. As you say, if you were able to ascertain how it's been treated, then great, but honestly it's going to be challenging to know anything of real value.

IMO, if you're normally comfortable guying used, go for it. Bumper-to-bumper is over but the battery warranty and the EV component warranty (covers motors, inverters, controllers, etc) are still there.

Crullbri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Semi Retired, Part time Handyman
Isnt there a way to see the charging history through Ford Pass? I would check that out if you can. I thought it showed past charging and where.
Sponsored