• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mountain Top vs Retrax tonneau cover

PaulO

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150
I came across Mountain Top tonneau cover‘s and wanted to see if anyone has one? Thoughts? Im debating which one to go with on my 22 F150.
Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I can't give you any insights into actually owning a Mountain Top tonneau cover. I own a Retrax MX Pro. I had it on my '17 F150 and I'm moving it over to my '22. I like that it's low profile and is lockable. I can give you my thoughts by reading the descriptions on the Mountain top and compare it to the Retrax that I own.

For the most part, it appears that the 2 are very similar (Retrax also offers a version you can connect the t-slot accessories to). They are both aluminum and both are retractable. I do appreciate that it appears the Mountain top has a smaller cannister than the retrax. My retrax does take up a lot of space, but I've personally never run into an issue with that. I know if I need to put something bigger in, I can just remove the tonneau cover temporarily.

One thing to note is that it appears that in order to access the bed with the mountain top, you have to open the tailgate to retract the tonneau. The retrax does not have this limitation. I can lock it and unlock it and access my bed without dropping the tailgate. I would argue that perhaps the Mountain Top is more secure as the lock on the retrax is not anything super special.

The last big difference I can see is the Retrax is a lot more low profile than that MT. That might not be a concern for some. I sought out a low profile tonneau and settled on the retrax, so I am biased when it comes to this apect :)

I know it's not much, but I hope it is somewhat helpful.