• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Non-Tesla Supercharger Pilot in Europe

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging

Non-Tesla Supercharger Pilot

Launched in November 2021, our Non-Tesla Supercharger pilot will continue to expand to new sites and countries in support of our mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.
Access to an extensive, convenient and reliable fast-charging network is critical for large-scale EV adoption. That’s why, since opening our first Superchargers in 2012, we have been committed to rapid expansion of the network. Today, we have more than 30,000 Superchargers worldwide.
With this pilot, some stations are now accessible to Non-Tesla EV drivers in selected countries via the Tesla app (version 4.2.3 or higher). Tesla drivers can continue to use these stations as they always have, and we will be closely monitoring each site for congestion and listening to customers about their experiences.
It’s always been our ambition to open the Supercharger network to Non-Tesla EVs, and by doing so, encourage more drivers to go electric.
More customers using the Supercharger network enables faster expansion. Our goal is to learn and iterate quickly, while continuing to aggressively expand the network, so we can eventually welcome both Tesla and Non-Tesla drivers at every Supercharger worldwide.
Frequently Asked Questions

General
Where is the pilot currently live?
The Non-Tesla Supercharger pilot is currently available for Supercharging stations in the following countries:
  • France
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • UK
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Belgium
  • Austria
Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Some additional key info:

Does the Supercharger cable reach all EVs?
Certain Supercharger site layouts may not be suitable for some cars. Please do not obstruct other cars by parking over the lines if the cable cannot comfortably reach your car.
Do Supercharger posts support all connector types?
This pilot is only accessible for CCS-enabled vehicles. If a Supercharger post has two cables, Non-Tesla cars can only charge with the CCS connector. If the connector does not fit your car, please report it to Tesla Customer Support.
The port on the fender of the Lightning is almost certainly too far away from the plug on most superchargers. There is sometimes a single "pull through" spot at a station, but not always. Those would work. Even if Tesla installs CCS cables on superchargers, they appear to be the same length as the original:

I've not seen any CCS extension cables. I think we're unlikely to see them given the power going through the cables already, but it'll be interesting to see if someone can come up with one that works.

Reactions: GDN

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
I believe in the US supercharger rates are up to .45 / kWh so it will certainly help accelerate Teslas earning. I haven’t SC’d my MYP in a bit so I could be wrong. However I’d pay the premium for road trip security where EA is still growing.

edit: just checked and amended to .45 / kWh so only .02 more than I pay as a non-member at EA. I wonder if non-Tesla’s will pay same rate as a Tesla. Either way I welcome it. The SC network is without peer.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I believe in the US supercharger rates are up to .45 / kWh so it will certainly help accelerate Teslas earning.
They're cheaper than that, at least where I typically charge:

Ford F-150 Lightning Non-Tesla Supercharger Pilot in Europe 1652976936097

I pay around 12 cents/kwh at home (24h rate), so I'd wager they are ~3x as much as the typical residential rate. That's still a bargain. If I could supercharger the lightning, a Lightning will go ~2 miles down the highway on 37 cents of electricity. If you get 24 highway mpg in an ICE F150 and gas is $4.50/gal, those 2 miles will cost you about the same. That's pretty good price parity if gas is pricey, but honestly since only 10% of my car's electricity comes from DCFC, I would happily stomach a higher DCFC rate if it meant more stations. I've read that 85% of EV owners charge at home, so DCFC is really just for long trips right now.

Drawing another home vs. away analog, I can make a cup of Starbucks nitro coffee at home for around 70 cents. At a store it's $5 or more, but at the store I'm paying for the convenience while I'm out so I only get it if I'm away and need a fix.

OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So bottom line is the charging companies have soaked up most of the MPGe savings due to electric vs ICE by charging a higher electric price unless you charge at home or augment with solar. Of course if gas goes to $10 and electricity does not follow the savings will multiply.

On other hand most all people can use home charging if they drive less than a couple of hundred miles a day so the savings should be real. A family member has two VoLts in a solar roof house in CA and fills the tanks once a year. Our Volt met a deer in NY late one night a few years ago and both are no more.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I pay around 12 cents/kwh at home (24h rate), so I'd wager they are ~3x as much as the typical residential rate. That's still a bargain.....

I would happily stomach a higher DCFC rate if it meant more stations. I've read that 85% of EV owners charge at home, so DCFC is really just for long trips right now.
This is also why I anticipate that we will see DCFC adoption move up quickly. Profit. If you can sell electricity for 3X cost to customers who are begging to buy it, there is a huge business opportunity right there.

Crowded chargers are very rare. But as more EVs sell, this will cause more charging use - which will generate more profits, and thus more chargers.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

1652976936097.png

I pay around 12 cents/kwh at home (24h rate), so I'd wager they are ~3x as much as the typical residential rate. That's still a bargain. If I could supercharger the lightning, a Lightning will go ~2 miles down the highway on 37 cents of electricity. If you get 24 highway mpg in an ICE F150 and gas is $4.50/gal, those 2 miles will cost you about the same. That's pretty good price parity if gas is pricey, but honestly since only 10% of my car's electricity comes from DCFC, I would happily stomach a higher DCFC rate if it meant more stations. I've read that 85% of EV owners charge at home, so DCFC is really just for long trips right now.

Drawing another home vs. away analog, I can make a cup of Starbucks nitro coffee at home for around 70 cents. At a store it's $5 or more, but at the store I'm paying for the convenience while I'm out so I only get it if I'm away and need a fix.
Yup - I think higher prices on DC fast charging, to support network buildout, is fine. Home charging is where the savings is (or other L2 charging opportunities - for the most part)

Both of my ICE vehicles get between 15 and 18 mpg, so even the non-member EA rates ($0.43/kwhr) are a savings for me.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
This is also why I anticipate that we will see DCFC adoption move up quickly. Profit. If you can sell electricity for 3X cost to customers who are begging to buy it, there is a huge business opportunity right there.

Crowded chargers are very rare. But as more EVs sell, this will cause more charging use - which will generate more profits, and thus more chargers.
I think the real opportunity for profit is the surrounding business. Put a DC fast charger next to a decent restaurant near a major highway and watch the money roll in. Heck raise your food prices ~20% or more over standard and folks will still stop for the convenience of having the chargers there.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
If you could fill your gas powered car at home for 1/3 of what it cost on the road then it would start to cost more on the road. People would only need to fill up on road trips. The price at DCFC should be more expensive than at home to cover the cost of the infrastructure and the cost of electricity. I don't know how they will make a profit now because the vast majority of charging is at home. Maybe as EV adoption increases there will be more wild type charging vs domestic charging. It is even worse if EV users also have a gas powered car for longer trips. How much incentive is needed for DCFC to be built?

For the US the ccs cables at Tesla superchargers will need to be long enough to reach non-standard port placements (with left rear being the standard). At least in Europe Tesla uses a ccs connection. What is going to happen when a mach e, lightning, bolt, Ev6, ionic 5 is parked in such a way to block the adjacent supercharger stall?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
This discussion is why, unfortunately an EV isn't for everyone still, likely those that can't charge at home, ie apartments, etc. We hope that shared housing charging scenarios improve, but as the DCFC owners get profitable and find that line waiting on their electricity, it won't get any cheaper.

However, in the mean time I'm doing some great savings being able to charge both cars and the future Lightning at home at around .09 / kWh.

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I understand DCFC companies want to turn a profit, but they're dumping loads of DCFCs into urban areas. I've supercharged twice in busy urban areas - once at home because I was painting my garage, and once in Philly on a day trip. All my other charging has been on random highways. Some charging has been to high SoCs because the next charging stop would be relatively far away. If you're in the desert, I bet you'd happily pay $10 for a bottle of water.

EVs are still largely in their infancy and they're still a luxury item. The people who buy them can generally afford to pay the early adopter tax and have a place to charge them at home. Once battery prices come down to make the cars on par with gas, there will be more demand for DCFCs in urban areas.

I am a bit concerned that charging on a trip will become more of a hassle as small, infrequent stations are overwhelmed by more EVs, pushing for long lines to charge, and charging companies are flat-footed to satisfy peak demands. I don't want my 30 minute stop to turn into a 90 minute one. Right now it seems like charging companies think they've got interstate travel covered.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I understand DCFC companies want to turn a profit, but they're dumping loads of DCFCs into urban areas. I've supercharged twice in busy urban areas - once at home because I was painting my garage, and once in Philly on a day trip. All my other charging has been on random highways. Some charging has been to high SoCs because the next charging stop would be relatively far away. If you're in the desert, I bet you'd happily pay $10 for a bottle of water.

EVs are still largely in their infancy and they're still a luxury item. The people who buy them can generally afford to pay the early adopter tax and have a place to charge them at home. Once battery prices come down to make the cars on par with gas, there will be more demand for DCFCs in urban areas.

I am a bit concerned that charging on a trip will become more of a hassle as small, infrequent stations are overwhelmed by more EVs, pushing for long lines to charge, and charging companies are flat-footed to satisfy peak demands. I don't want my 30 minute stop to turn into a 90 minute one. Right now it seems like charging companies think they've got interstate travel covered.
I am with you 100%, however the DFW Tesla FB group is full of whiners about the wait they are starting to encounter at the DCFC's and they are local owners. I've been vocal about them charging at home too, but none really want to disclose whether or not they can or want to. I know for a fact one guy treats it like a social outing. He has a charger in his garage, he does not have Free supercharging, but he will go get in line and wait and still charge at the SC. Just a little bit crazy.

The number of Superchargers in just the last year has doubled around DFW, all of them v3. The biggest one has 16 stalls. It is ONE mile from an older Urban charger with 11 stalls - both of them can fill up in the afternoon and have a wait. I find it very hard to believe there are that many owners that can't charge at home.

However, I will note that DFW has exploded and not exaggerating, most of my drives are short errands within 2 to 3 miles of the house and I rarely make a trip without seeing 3 to 4 other Tesla's. I now have 4 others in my small neighborhood. One of them does it the hard way too - he parks on the street and every other night or so he strings his 110 extension cord out and plugs it into his Mobil adapter to charge overnight. He also happens to have a 2 car attached garage. I can't for the life of me understand why you don't clean the crap out of the garage to store you $65K car in and charge from a 240 plug.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla owners are weird, man. I don't think I'd own an EV if I couldn't charge at home.

I won't be able to fit the Lightning in my garage (something that drove me away from antimatter blue) but I'll at least put the CSP on the little piece of driveway alongside my house and not park it on the street like my Ridgeline.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Tesla owners are weird, man. I don't think I'd own an EV if I couldn't charge at home.

I won't be able to fit the Lightning in my garage (something that drove me away from antimatter blue) but I'll at least put the CSP on the little piece of driveway alongside my house and not park it on the street like my Ridgeline.
I wouldn't own an EV without home charging. I know an f150 fits because my 2011 just fit in the garage, though I will have to clean out the last two or three feet of it. My lightning will share the garage bay with a Volvo XC90 PHEV, so evse placement is tricky. I want to be able to charge inside and outside without blocking access to the garage. I do know of some EV owners who don't have home charging, but I wouldn't do it. Infact we had Chevy buyback our bolt when they said no parking inside due to fire risk.

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired

1652976936097.png

is the rate location dependent. I had our MYP in Tallahassee since the fall, son is an FSU student, and it’s .45 / kWh there. Lower is better of course.
Sponsored