• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Non-Tesla Supercharger Pilot in Europe

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
Tesla owners are weird, man. I don't think I'd own an EV if I couldn't charge at home.

I won't be able to fit the Lightning in my garage (something that drove me away from antimatter blue) but I'll at least put the CSP on the little piece of driveway alongside my house and not park it on the street like my Ridgeline.
Most Tesla owners charge at home. i certainly do for my Tesla and 2 other EVs. The best part of EV ownership is home charging cheap and never going anywhere for fuel.

However, on road trips the Tesla SC network is light years better than EA and EV GO combined. They have multiples more locations and more stalls. The Tesla app is also great at telling what’s in use and if any are out of service.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I am with you 100%, however the DFW Tesla FB group is full of whiners about the wait they are starting to encounter at the DCFC's and they are local owners. I've been vocal about them charging at home too, but none really want to disclose whether or not they can or want to. I know for a fact one guy treats it like a social outing. He has a charger in his garage, he does not have Free supercharging, but he will go get in line and wait and still charge at the SC. Just a little bit crazy.

The number of Superchargers in just the last year has doubled around DFW, all of them v3. The biggest one has 16 stalls. It is ONE mile from an older Urban charger with 11 stalls - both of them can fill up in the afternoon and have a wait. I find it very hard to believe there are that many owners that can't charge at home.

However, I will note that DFW has exploded and not exaggerating, most of my drives are short errands within 2 to 3 miles of the house and I rarely make a trip without seeing 3 to 4 other Tesla's. I now have 4 others in my small neighborhood. One of them does it the hard way too - he parks on the street and every other night or so he strings his 110 extension cord out and plugs it into his Mobil adapter to charge overnight. He also happens to have a 2 car attached garage. I can't for the life of me understand why you don't clean the crap out of the garage to store you $65K car in and charge from a 240 plug.
I drove my Mach-E to visit my brother in Plano last summer. What struck me was the total lack of CCS DCFCs north of Dallas. An EVGo in Addison, and a smattering of car dealers. Some dealers will allow non-brand cars, but they are generally pretty slow. I was fortunate to stay at a hotel with a L2, so when I left for the return trip, I was fully charged and made it to McAelester OK without issues.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I know for a fact one guy treats it like a social outing. He has a charger in his garage, he does not have Free supercharging, but he will go get in line and wait and still charge at the SC. Just a little bit crazy.
WTF?

What did he do before Tesla? Hang out at gas-stations?

• Haha
Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I drove my Mach-E to visit my brother in Plano last summer. What struck me was the total lack of CCS DCFCs north of Dallas. An EVGo in Addison, and a smattering of car dealers. Some dealers will allow non-brand cars, but they are generally pretty slow. I was fortunate to stay at a hotel with a L2, so when I left for the return trip, I was fully charged and made it to McAelester OK without issues.
You have noted my pain and point exactly about Ford and EA and their lack of support of TX and especially DFW. Only 4 EA stations in the metro area - TOTAL and none close to me. I will charge at home, but it is slim pickings after that.

The other note about Oklahoma is they have a good covering of chargers by Frances Energy, most are supposed to support 150kWh or being upgraded to that, but it is still hit or miss and will be hard for a Lightning and battery of this size.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You have noted my pain and point exactly about Ford and EA and their lack of support of TX and especially DFW. Only 4 EA stations in the metro area - TOTAL and none close to me. I will charge at home, but it is slim pickings after that.

The other note about Oklahoma is they have a good covering of chargers by Frances Energy, most are supposed to support 150kWh or being upgraded to that, but it is still hit or miss and will be hard for a Lightning and battery of this size.
Other than having to call to get one station to initiate a charge, I had pretty good experiences with Frances. There is also a good EA station in Vinita. Durant and Muskogee were both 200 KW stations.

• Love

Sponsored

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
In CA, supercharger rates are now $0.58/kWh during peak times. I know because people on the Tesla group sites are going nuts over it!

More competition in the charging space will be nice, because currently Tesla is going nuts with rates where demand is high.

I topped up at a supercharger near me on off-peak time in upstate NY, just cause I hadn't been to one in six months. $0.48 per kWh meant I only stuck around for a few minutes, versus the $0.12 I pay at home.

OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I looked into the infrastructure bill and it looks like there is 5B$ allocated for EV chargers. Things might actually be looking better starting this fall!

White House rolls out $5 billion funding plan to states for electric vehicle chargers
Emma Newburger

PUBLISHED THU, FEB 10 2022 5:00 AM EST

The Biden administration this week rolled out a plan to allocate $5 billion to states to fund electric vehicle chargers over five years, as part of the bipartisan infrastructure package that includes $7.5 billion to build a sprawling network of EV charging stations across the country.
The investment is part of the administration’s broader agenda to combat human-caused climate change and advance the clean energy transition. The Biden administration has touted EVs as more affordable for Americans than gas-powered cars and has pledged that half the vehicles sold in the U.S. will be electric or plug-in hybrids by 2030.
The new guidance will help states build a network of EV charging stations along designated alternative fuel corridors on the national highway system, senior administration officials said during a press briefing Wednesday.
Despite a rise in EV sales in the U.S. in recent years, the transportation sector is still one of the largest contributors to U.S. greenhouse gas emissions, comprising roughly one-third of emissions each year.
Roughly 24% of new vehicles sold worldwide are likely to be fully electric by 2030, according to forecasts from consulting firm Alix Partners. The U.S. is the world’s third-largest market for EVs behind China and Europe.
“We’re not going to go electric fast enough if we don’t have the ability to eliminate range anxiety for people and to be able to have them plug in wherever they live, wherever they work, wherever they want to head,” Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm said during a speech in Washington, D.C., on Thursday.
The program to build out charging stations could save an average driver who uses an electric vehicle up to $1,000 each year on gasoline, President Joe Bidensaid. Tritium, an Australian company that makes EV chargers, is set to build a manufacturing facility in Tennessee that will produce up to 30,000 chargers each year and create 500 local jobs.

Under the plan, entitled the National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Formula Program, states must submit their EV infrastructure deployment plans to the Joint Office of Energy and Transportation by Aug. 1. The Federal Highway Administration will approve eligible plans by Sept. 30.
“It’s going to help ensure that America leads the world on electric vehicles,” the president said during a speech earlier this week to promote American companies expanding EV infrastructure in the U.S.
“China has been leading the race up to now, but this is about to change,” Biden said. “Because America is building convenient, reliable, equitable national public charging networks. So wherever you live, charging an electric vehicle will be quick and easy.”
Officials during the call Wednesday said they will unveil guidance on the other $2.5 billion for EV charging stations as part of the bipartisan infrastructure plan later this year. That funding will involve discretionary grants for corridor and community EV charging.
The administration has previously proposed an EV incentive package that would allocate additional money for consumers who bought electric vehicles built by unionized workers. The administration has also committed to replace its federal fleet of 600,000 cars and trucks to electric power by 2035.
“This announcement demonstrates that clean energy investments deliver for America,” Elizabeth Gore, senior vice president of political affairs at the Environmental Defense Fund, said in a statement.
“Building out a national network of charging stations will mean less pollution, more jobs and cleaner cars,” Gore said. “It will also allow more Americans to skip paying at the pump by making electric vehicles a practical choice for more working families.”

OP
OP

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
And some more detail -
https://highways.dot.gov/newsroom/p...-billion-over-five-years-national-ev-charging

President Biden, USDOT and USDOE Announce $5 Billion over Five Years for National EV Charging Network, Made Possible by Bipartisan Infrastructure Law
Thursday, February 10, 2022

Joint Energy and Transportation Office and DriveElectric.gov Available to Assist States with Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Deployment Plans
FHWA 05-22
Tel: (202) 366-0660
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Departments of Transportation and Energy today announced nearly $5 billion that will be made available under the new National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) Formula Program established by President Biden’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, to build out a national electric vehicle charging network, an important step towards making electric vehicle (EV) charging accessible to all Americans.
The program will provide nearly $5 billion over five years to help states create a network of EV charging stations along designated Alternative Fuel Corridors, particularly along the Interstate Highway System. The total amount available to states in Fiscal Year 2022 under the NEVI Formula Program is $615 million. States must submit an EV Infrastructure Deployment Plan before they can access these funds. A second, competitive grant program designed to further increase EV charging access in locations throughout the country, including in rural and underserved communities, will be announced later this year.
“A century ago, America ushered in the modern automotive era; now America must lead the electric vehicle revolution,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg. “The President’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law will help us win the EV race by working with states, labor, and the private sector to deploy a historic nationwide charging network that will make EV charging accessible for more Americans.”
“We are modernizing America’s national highway system for drivers in cities large and small, towns and rural communities, to take advantage of the benefits of driving electric,” said U.S. Secretary of Energy Jennifer M. Granholm. “The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law is helping states to make electric vehicle charging more accessible by building the necessary infrastructure for drivers across America to save money and go the distance, from coast-to-coast.”
Today’s news follows President Biden’s announcement earlier this week on EV manufacturing, and the White House Fact Sheet on actions taken to date to prepare for this historic EV investment.
To access these new Bipartisan Infrastructure Law funds – and to help ensure a convenient, reliable, affordable, and equitable charging experience for all users – each state is required to submit an EV Infrastructure Deployment Plan to the new Joint Office of Energy and Transportation that describes how the state intends to use its share of NEVI Formula Program funds consistent with Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) guidance.
These plans are expected to build on Alternative Fuel Corridors that nearly every state has designated over the past six years of this program. These corridors will be the spine of the new national EV charging network. The Joint Office will play a key role in the implementation of the NEVI Formula Program by providing direct technical assistance and support to help states develop their plans before they are reviewed and approved by the Federal Highway Administration, which administers the funding.
“Americans need to know that they can purchase an electric vehicle and find convenient charging stations when they are using Interstates and other major highways,” Deputy Federal Highway Administrator Stephanie Pollack said. “The new EV formula program will provide states with the resources they need to provide their residents with reliable access to an EV charging station as they travel.”
The new Joint Office of Energy and Transportation also launched a new website this week at DriveElectric.gov. There, officials can find links to technical assistance, data and tools for states, and careers. To join the Joint Office and support a future where everyone can ride and drive electric, individuals are encouraged to apply to be an EV charging fellow.
As part of today’s announcement, FHWA released the NEVI Formula Program funding to states that will be available following approval of state plans for Fiscal Year 2022 in addition to the Program Guidance and a Request for Nominationsfor states to expand their existing Alternative Fuel Corridors. Here is state-by-state NEVI funding for Fiscal Years 2022-2026.
FY 2022 Funding*
StateNational
Electric Vehicle
Formula Program
Alabama 11,738,801
Alaska 7,758,240
Arizona 11,320,762
Arkansas 8,010,850
California 56,789,406
Colorado 8,368,277
Connecticut 7,771,342
Delaware 2,617,339
Dist. of Col. 2,468,807
Florida 29,315,442
Georgia 19,978,342
Hawaii 2,616,956
Idaho 4,425,511
Illinois 21,998,178
Indiana 14,743,125
Iowa 7,604,168
Kansas 5,847,059
Kentucky 10,280,470
Louisiana 10,859,512
Maine 2,856,158
Maryland 9,298,080
Massachusetts 9,397,238
Michigan 16,290,764
Minnesota 10,089,418
Mississippi 7,483,268
Missouri 14,647,722
Montana 6,348,350
Nebraska 4,472,243
Nevada 5,618,414
New Hampshire 2,556,450
New Jersey 15,448,790
New Mexico 5,681,977
New York 25,971,644
North Carolina 16,137,196
North Dakota 3,841,352
Ohio 20,739,853
Oklahoma 9,812,934
Oregon 7,733,679
Pennsylvania 25,386,631
Puerto Rico 2,020,490
Rhode Island 3,383,835
South Carolina 10,360,855
South Dakota 4,363,463
Tennessee 13,074,884
Texas 60,356,706
Utah 5,372,731
Vermont 3,140,247
Virginia 15,745,244
Washington 10,489,110
West Virginia 6,761,785
Wisconsin 11,642,061
Wyoming 3,963,841
Total 615,000,000
*Funds available pending approval of state plans.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd

If I were to guess, the one thing that would cause more chargers to appear in Texas would be the proliferation of more EV Trucks. It looks like there are some Volta and EVGo chargers around too (when filtering to look at CCS for 50 KW/h and above) but you are right, it is slim pickings at the moment.

Here is hoping you get DCFC from some of the other vendors out there. On that note - Plug and Charge should be some sort of standard that is vendor agnostic, dealing with different vendors and different apps is dumb. I don't need different apps for gas or diesel.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If I were to guess, the one thing that would cause more chargers to appear in Texas would be the proliferation of more EV Trucks. It looks like there are some Volta and EVGo chargers around too (when filtering to look at CCS for 50 KW/h and above) but you are right, it is slim pickings at the moment.

Here is hoping you get DCFC from some of the other vendors out there. On that note - Plug and Charge should be some sort of standard that is vendor agnostic, dealing with different vendors and different apps is dumb. I don't need different apps for gas or diesel.
Generally, you can DCFC with a credit card or phone just like you buy liquid fuel.

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Generally, you can DCFC with a credit card or phone just like you buy liquid fuel.
Usually.

I have encountered two different chargers that would not allow me to use them until I downloaded their app, then put some credit on their app before I could charge.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Keep in mind that Tesla chargers have no screen and no interface. So it needs to be built into an account/app or it could be integrated right into the GUI of the truck if they'd go that far.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Keep in mind that Tesla chargers have no screen and no interface. So it needs to be built into an account/app or it could be integrated right into the GUI of the truck if they'd go that far.
Thanks for that! I’ve never seen one up close.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Thanks for that! I’ve never seen one up close.
Understandable. Literally there is nothing more than the group of pedestals lined up in a parking lot in most cases. This is representative of most all of them. They have communication ports built in that communicate with the car and back to Tesla. Billing happens to a credit card on your account. Likely similar to what EA has implemented with Ford and I'm sure their own cars for Plug and Charge. However no backup info on the screen or secondary local cc input. All of your charging info is displayed on the car screen and the Tesla app.

Ford F-150 Lightning Non-Tesla Supercharger Pilot in Europe tesla_supercharger
Sponsored

Last edited: