• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Noob needs some guidance

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
My place is new construction and was advertised as used for electric car charging. Should I get the Ford Mobile Charger or something on Amazon (I see Emporia or Lectron thrown around)? I would ideally leave it plugged into the wall.
Your comments about your receptical being new construction, and the designated purpose for the outlet, are encouraging. As others have noted, my understanding is the Ford MC is a standard equipment accessory with all 2022 Lightning models.…it came with my ER Lariat.

If yours doesn’t, and based on previous comments/threads I’ve read on this forum, you may find better value with reputable named EVSE brands other than Ford. I don’t have any personal recommendations because I haven’t sufficiently researched it….I have a hardwired FCSP for my home charging and the FMC that came with my truck is sufficient for my occasional mobile use.

One item of advice if you plan to shop for a mobile EVSE: Focus your money on the 240V charging features. My research shows the 2022 Lightnings will only accept a maximum of ~117V@~11A when it reads 120V incoming charge voltage regardless of the available amperage….unless Ford has changed this limitation with their most recent OTA updates……..
Sponsored

OP
OP

ericjtsang

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat SR, LC500
Your comments about your receptical being new construction, and the designated purpose for the outlet, are encouraging. As others have noted, my understanding is the Ford MC is a standard equipment accessory with all 2022 Lightning models.…it came with my ER Lariat.

If yours doesn’t, and based on previous comments/threads I’ve read on this forum, you may find better value with reputable named EVSE brands other than Ford. I don’t have any personal recommendations because I haven’t sufficiently researched it….I have a hardwired FCSP for my home charging and the FMC that came with my truck is sufficient for my occasional mobile use.

One item of advice if you plan to shop for a mobile EVSE: Focus your money on the 240V charging features. My research shows the 2022 Lightnings will only accept a maximum of ~117V@~11A when it reads 120V incoming charge voltage regardless of the available amperage….unless Ford has changed this limitation with their most recent OTA updates……..
wonderful advice, thank you!

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Any recommendations for one to leave plugged into the wall? The house is new construction and I was told this garage outlet is for electric charging.
Before deciding, check if your utility is offering any sort of rebate on specific models. If not, decide if you want a "smart" charger like ChargePoint, JuiceBox, Pulsar, Emporia, or a "dumb" charger like GrizzlE. Stick to UL listed. Also checkout youtube reviews by @tommolog. Most of us have a experience with only one particular device, while he has reviewed many.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Before deciding, check if your utility is offering any sort of rebate on specific models. If not, decide if you want a "smart" charger like ChargePoint, JuiceBox, Pulsar, Emporia, or a "dumb" charger like GrizzlE. Stick to UL listed. Also checkout youtube reviews by @tommolog. Most of us have a experience with only one particular device, while he has reviewed many.
And if they give you an option, the ChargePoint Home Flex, NEMA 14-50 Plug will plug right in, charge at 40A, and has worked well for me.
Sponsored