• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Official Charging Recommendations

captcory

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 FORD Lightning PRO, honda pilot
here are the numbers for the standard range. if you charge to 90% it's actually 83%
If you charge to 85% it's actually 78%. If you wanted to charge to 80% actual then you would set it to 87% but as far as I can tell that is not possible. It only does increments of 5. So I'm leaving mine at 85% which is under the 80% actual and I'm comfortable with that.
Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Challenge accepted! This is a great post. That's why this is a personal decision and there is no one size fits all rule. I plan to keep my truck 10 years and will probably amass at most 50-70K miles. In those last few years I would rather have a battery with 92% of it's capacity instead of 75% (hypothetical example) for those occasional road trips. Think ER range instead of closer to SR range. But my use case allows me to do that (low daily driving to your point). But I have no issue with those that want or need to do 100% all the time.
You might find a post or two where I tell you how to make the cells last for virtually forever, and how I'm not going to follow the advice because I want to have fun with my truck...but I still follow my charging recommendation.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
here are the numbers for the standard range. if you charge to 90% it's actually 83%
If you charge to 85% it's actually 78%. If you wanted to charge to 80% actual then you would set it to 87% but as far as I can tell that is not possible. It only does increments of 5. So I'm leaving mine at 85% which is under the 80% actual and I'm comfortable with that.
Can you post the actual and useable capacity so everyone can check your math?

Fryballin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat 511A Iced Blue, Max Tow
There is no way I would charge to 100% on a regular basis. Not only does ford *specifically* say not to do this, it highly stresses the electrolyte and the cells themselves. This is basic chemistry.

Fully charged batteries in hot temperatures are a known point of failure. Even if it doesn't fail, significant long term damage, slower discharge, loss of total power results.

Honestly since all the charging data is stored on the vehicle, if you were to have any warranty battery issues, all Ford would have to do is point to the data and say that you did not charge according to recommendations and they would be fully with the right to deny you any warranty repair.
There's a video (approx Summer of 2022) with Tom Moloughney (Inside EV's/State of Charge YouTuber) interviewing Darren Palmer (I think the VP of EV's for FORD), and they were talking about the Lightning warranty, and I remember Darren specifically telling Tom that the warranty is designed to cover lightning owners as though they were charging to 100% everyday. He said if they had the data that showed owners were only charging to 90% then they could open up some more of that total capacity into useable, but right now, they are reserving it to protect the battery.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Look to see who runs a L-ion testing house (maybe called the Energy Storage Technology Center) and look to see if he left up his previous posts ;)

After cycling cells for 12 years (many different chemistries to include LMO, LTO, NCA, and NMC), I want to keep my daily charge under 80% of the actual capacity...so how do I do this when the useable is different from the actual capacity?

All numbers are for the extended range since that is what I have. We know the useable capacity is 131 kWh and I know the actual capacity is 141 kWh. 131/141 = 0.929, so we going to 93% if charging to 100%.

If we charge to 90% of usable capacity, (131*.9) /141 = 0.836 or 84% of the actual capacity, but I want under 80% of actual capacity...once again, I really wish I could share the graphs.

So let's look at 85% of useable. (131*.85)/141 = 0.79 or 79%. That is under my sweet spot AND meets my daily driving needs...the second part of that is what you really need to consider!

If you have a standard range, make sure you recalculate with the appropriate numbers.

I will start cycling some Lighting cells in a couple of months, so if you see me change my recommendation, you will know I saw something in the data (like I did many years ago with the Bolt cell)
Those calculations don’t take into account that part of the buffer is at the bottom. Displayed zero % is not fully discharged.

If, for simplicity’s sake, we assume that half of the buffer is at the top, charging to 100% would be 136 kWh instead of 131. I have no idea how much buffer is at the bottom, but there is some.

Or am I missing something here? Wouldn’t be the first time!

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Those calculations don’t take into account that part of the buffer is at the bottom. Displayed zero % is not fully discharged.

If, for simplicity’s sake, we assume that half of the buffer is at the top, charging to 100% would be 136 kWh instead of 131. I have no idea how much buffer is at the bottom, but there is some.

Or am I missing something here? Wouldn’t be the first time!
From my experience on many different EVs we have tested, the lower buffer is very small and does not have an significant impact on the calculations on the upper end. When I do a deep dive into the vehicle battery data we have recorded (including when the vehicle shut down due to low voltage) and compare it to the cell level, I will have a better idea of the buffer at the lower end.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
There's a video (approx Summer of 2022) with Tom Moloughney (Inside EV's/State of Charge YouTuber) interviewing Darren Palmer (I think the VP of EV's for FORD), and they were talking about the Lightning warranty, and I remember Darren specifically telling Tom that the warranty is designed to cover lightning owners as though they were charging to 100% everyday. He said if they had the data that showed owners were only charging to 90% then they could open up some more of that total capacity into useable, but right now, they are reserving it to protect the battery.
It is actually about the Mach-E but yes. That is exactly what I stated and the source.

captcory

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 FORD Lightning PRO, honda pilot
Can you post the actual and useable capacity so everyone can check your math?
yes please do. useable is 98kw and actual is 107kw. found from the interweb so let's double check.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
From my experience on many different EVs we have tested, the lower buffer is very small and does not have an significant impact on the calculations on the upper end.
Thanks! That’s why I stated that I have no idea how the buffer is actually split. It makes sense to pad the upper end.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
yes please do. useable is 98kw and actual is 107kw. found from the interweb so let's double check.
Based on these numbers...
98/107 = 92% at 100% useable SOC
90% charge for usable is (98*.9)/107 = 82.4 SOC
85% (98*.85)/107 = 78% SOC.

Please make sure that the available energy at these levels can meet your daily needs!
Sponsored