• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Official Charging Recommendations

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Self Serve/IBA car wash owner
Thank you all I have read tons of stuff on this forum and elsewhere so I am well aware of most all of that. My understanding was that MikeyAO was doing some deep dive battery testing, so I was just curious what he had come up with more than anything.
Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Thank you all I have read tons of stuff on this forum and elsewhere so I am well aware of most all of that. My understanding was that MikeyAO was doing some deep dive battery testing, so I was just curious what he had come up with more than anything.
We are doing our standard consortium testing on actual cells from a Lightning (SKE805A). We harvested the cells from a module (so all of you who still think that an individual cell can be replaced are very wrong)

Characterization testing is complete (and I made a comment in a couple of threads about resistance under a specific SOC and the lower thermal stability point of the cell), and calendar life is on going. Printed out the graphs for capacity fade and I would highly recommend to NOT store your vehicle at 80% actual SOC above 55C (the degradation after 8 weeks is amazing).

The thermal stability point made us change our normal testing in that we will test at 25C, 45C, and 10C, with the normal 55C being a no go on cycling.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Self Serve/IBA car wash owner
Thank you!! that is very interesting!(Even if I don’t understand all of it) 55 C is like 131 F! I saw you were in San Antonio I am in the Dallas area. Hopefully we don’t get to 55C or 131F although I wouldn’t bet against it😂🤣😂

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I would highly recommend to NOT store your vehicle at 80% actual SOC above 55C
Unplugged, I could see that being a problem here, but plugged in it should actively cool the pack. Regardless, knowing this now, I'll be reducing my upper limit to 75% unless going somewhere. Thank you for the info
Sponsored