• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Official Charging Recommendations

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Well, as far as official there is always the manual. YouTube videos are the last place I would ever look for actual, factual, information.
Yes. This. It's very frustrating to talk to people that insist on YouTube, "my friend Ricky Bobby who knows all about EVs", etc.

Go by the official documentation above produced by ford and you can't miss.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
29k miles on my Mach-e, I charge it pretty much everyday at 100%. Haven't notice any real change or issue so I plan the same routine for my XLT ER.
^^^ This is what I do - 100% on L2

Wouldn't stress over the max charge unless I was using L3 DCFC where I stop at 90%.

With a 8yr battery warranty, I don't worry nor do I believe in shortchanging yourself.

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
^^^ This is what I do - 100% on L2

Wouldn't stress over the max charge unless I was using L3 DCFC where I stop at 90%.

With a 8yr battery warranty, I don't worry nor do I believe in shortchanging yourself.
There is no way I would charge to 100% on a regular basis. Not only does ford *specifically* say not to do this, it highly stresses the electrolyte and the cells themselves. This is basic chemistry.

Fully charged batteries in hot temperatures are a known point of failure. Even if it doesn't fail, significant long term damage, slower discharge, loss of total power results.

Honestly since all the charging data is stored on the vehicle, if you were to have any warranty battery issues, all Ford would have to do is point to the data and say that you did not charge according to recommendations and they would be fully with the right to deny you any warranty repair.

Sponsored

Rockyl32

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 lightning pro
Occupation
Pilot
From what I understand the warrantee allows for a 30% decline in battery capability. 30%decline in range is pretty significant. My guess is that is to cover for those who choose to keep charged at 100%

jd350b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F350 Lariat 6.7L, 2018 Ford Edge Platinum
29k miles on my Mach-e, I charge it pretty much everyday at 100%. Haven't notice any real change or issue so I plan the same routine for my XLT ER.
I was being careful with my battery, charging to 90% and less frequent charging if I thought I'd be ok for a few days. Now that my truck is sitting at the dealer waiting on a new battery module after only 5K miles, all bets are off. I'm charging to 100% and topping off everyday whether it needs it or not. No more limiting my range thinking it's worth anything. The battery will fail again or I'll update to the newer technology long before any negative impact is realized. Most new EV's can accept the 350kw DC chargers.

jd350b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F350 Lariat 6.7L, 2018 Ford Edge Platinum
There is no way I would charge to 100% on a regular basis. Not only does ford *specifically* say not to do this, it highly stresses the electrolyte and the cells themselves. This is basic chemistry.

Fully charged batteries in hot temperatures are a known point of failure. Even if it doesn't fail, significant long term damage, slower discharge, loss of total power results.

Honestly since all the charging data is stored on the vehicle, if you were to have any warranty battery issues, all Ford would have to do is point to the data and say that you did not charge according to recommendations and they would be fully with the right to deny you any warranty repair.
That would surprise me to have a warranty denied over a recommendation.

T-Bone

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro

IMO Warranty would absolutely NOT be denied for charging to 100%. Many owners need to charge to 100% daily. 90% is a recommendation for longer battery life which probably has merit but has nothing to do with warranty. If it was a problem, Ford would simply limit the charge to 90% through the software. It would be like never washing your car in the salt belt and the manufacturer denying the rust through warranty because you never washed your car. The battery warranty is not very generous with the 30% acceptable degradation clause. You probably will degrade the battery if always charging to 100% but it wont affect your warranty. It'll be well out of warranty before your charging habits cause an issue.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
There is no way I would charge to 100% on a regular basis.
so, here's my question, and it applies to ALL of these 'arguments' about charging:

define 'regular'.

see, there is no such definition - it is simply a very subjective 'term'... it is not a
statement or word that can be defined. Regular to one is very OFTEN to another, and very
INFREQUENT to others. It is a word. It is not a definition of exact timing.

I regularly see my mother. Twice per month.

I regularly change my oil. Twice every two years.

I regularly read this forum. 10 times per day.

My truck sits in my carport 99% of it's life.
My truck is not plugged into 240v power every day.
My truck may get charged to 100% every time it is plugged in.
My truck may go a week without being used.
My truck may go a week without being charged.
My truck may get charged every night for a week.
My truck has over 29,000 miles so far.... and loving it.

see... the term 'Regular' is what is tripping some up to think that they are the 'charging police' and should tell all of us, while wagging their finger, that we are subordinates and 'must' do as they say, to NEVER charge your EV to a 'certain' amount, and Certainly NOT on a 'regular' basis... if EVER.

Baloney. or is it Bologna?
Baloney or Bologna: Which One's Right? Bologna and baloney come in a few forms that may or may not refer to the deli meat. Bologna is the more common and widely accepted spelling when referring to the meat, while baloney is an alternate spelling that is more often applied to “nonsense or foolish talk.”

But, your truck is your truck. Do as you wish. I will no longer tell you what I am doing, so you don't have to worry or fret : )

y'all have fun : )

Last edited:

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Where would look to see that recommendation?
Look to see who runs a L-ion testing house (maybe called the Energy Storage Technology Center) and look to see if he left up his previous posts ;)

After cycling cells for 12 years (many different chemistries to include LMO, LTO, NCA, and NMC), I want to keep my daily charge under 80% of the actual capacity...so how do I do this when the useable is different from the actual capacity?

All numbers are for the extended range since that is what I have. We know the useable capacity is 131 kWh and I know the actual capacity is 141 kWh. 131/141 = 0.929, so we going to 93% if charging to 100%.

If we charge to 90% of usable capacity, (131*.9) /141 = 0.836 or 84% of the actual capacity, but I want under 80% of actual capacity...once again, I really wish I could share the graphs.

So let's look at 85% of useable. (131*.85)/141 = 0.79 or 79%. That is under my sweet spot AND meets my daily driving needs...the second part of that is what you really need to consider!

If you have a standard range, make sure you recalculate with the appropriate numbers.

I will start cycling some Lighting cells in a couple of months, so if you see me change my recommendation, you will know I saw something in the data (like I did many years ago with the Bolt cell)

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Please show where it says that if you don't follow charging recommendations warranty can be denied. It cannot.

Please show where they say not to charge to 100% on a regular basis. They don't. They recommend you DC fast charge to 80%, due to charging curves. They recommend you charge at home to 90%, or "less than 100%" depending on manual version, for daily use. They don't tell you NOT to do anything, because they cannot.

If you charge to 100% everyday, via a DC charger, and the battery fails, they have to replace it under warranty. Just because the owner does stupid things doesn't prevent warranty from being honored.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
From what I understand the warrantee allows for a 30% decline in battery capability. 30%decline in range is pretty significant. My guess is that is to cover for those who choose to keep charged at 100%
The warranty is specific, and easily found. " Your battery is covered for 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, retaining a minimum of 70% of its original capacity over that period. "

Yes, Ford has stated that IF someone charges to 100% all the time, always DC fast charges, and hammers the accelerator, they still expect to beat this measurement.

captcory

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 FORD Lightning PRO, honda pilot
what are the actual and usable numbers for the standard range so I can do the calculations.

edit: found it! 107kw actual for the SR

Last edited:

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Look to see who runs a L-ion testing house (maybe called the Energy Storage Technology Center) and look to see if he left up his previous posts ;)
Challenge accepted! This is a great post. That's why this is a personal decision and there is no one size fits all rule. I plan to keep my truck 10 years and will probably amass at most 50-70K miles. In those last few years I would rather have a battery with 92% of it's capacity instead of 75% (hypothetical example) for those occasional road trips. Think ER range instead of closer to SR range. But my use case allows me to do that (low daily driving to your point). But I have no issue with those that want or need to do 100% all the time.
Sponsored

Last edited: