• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

On board air compressor mod

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
Has anyone done an onboard air compressor? I have used a viair 88p in the past and am considering mounting one beside the battery and adding a switch/air nipple to the battery access plate. Does the DC-DC charger for the 12v work when the truck is not on? I would assume yes, but thought I read somewhere that it didn’t. The other idea would be to add an AC (small tank, modded to fit) air compressor to the back where the mufflers go in the ICE truck. There is a ton of room there. You could add the air nipple where the blank is in the bumper. Not sure if I would add a switch or just leave the plug loose. I also have a Ryobi battery compressor, but it just doesn’t have the volume. Other ideas? The tan bag is the Viair hoses and all.
Ford F-150 Lightning On board air compressor mod IMG_4065
Ford F-150 Lightning On board air compressor mod IMG_4064
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
In general, I figured I would just put mine in the bed if I think I'll need it and plug it in to use. Interesting ideas to mount one though. Going to follow this thread.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I would worry about mounting a pressurized air tank under the truck. I've had lot's of mufflers and even a gas tank take punctures due to road debris in the past. If I had enough constant need for an air compressor that I was considering mounting one, the bed or the frunk would be the only places I would consider. PPOB would negate the need to wire anything directly to the battery IMO.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I have a small 120V tankless air compressor that I keep under the rear seat. I also keep an extension cord in the frunk since the cord on the air compressor is pretty short.

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
I did a similar mod last summer. Pancake compressor in the bed of the truck, bungee'd to the boxlink connector.

Sponsored

EigenSolver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru, 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Engineer
Reactions: dww

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I have a small 120V tankless air compressor that I keep under the rear seat. I also keep an extension cord in the frunk since the cord on the air compressor is pretty short.
Thats great for emergency tire fills, or for after airing down your tires for offroad... but for someone who wants to use a bunch of power tools a compressor with a tank is needed.
Sponsored