• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Planning for Winter

OP
OP

wvlightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Yeah there are supposed to be starting in 2023, but for winter 2022, I'll have to proceed with caution. Or Tesla opens up their super charger network and then I would be fine. We have plenty of those around.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Yeah there are NO DC fast chargers in this state other than the two Charge Points at Harley Dealers at 24kW. Yeah I plan to charge to 100% before my 190 mile trips. But I just need to make sure I can make it. It shouldn't be 0 but it will probably be in the 30s. So I'll set my departure time and precondition and warm the cabin, before departure. After that it'll be seat heaters and just tell the kids to bundle up its gonna be a cold ride.
With the ER 131kWh battery, and assuming you want to have a small buffer (say 10%), you need efficiency of 190 / (131*.9) = 1.6 miles per kWh.

Take your warm weather highway miles per kWh and compare the two (1.6 / Your number ) -1 =

So, if you're getting 2.1 now, then 1.6/2.1 - 1 = 23.8% drop for the cold weather. That's totally expected. If the loss is more, then that's your safety margin, i.e. you need 1.6 and that's a much bigger drop than what you'll get. If you're getting 1.9 today, then that's a 16% drop, and you might have a 20=% drop.

I would make sure I knew where level 2 chargers were along the route, and watch my efficiency so I knew if I needed to hit one before there wasn't one.

OP
OP

wvlightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
@RickLightning Thanks for the math on that. So should I be focusing on the percentage drop? Or should I be focusing on the miles per kWh. While I understand the math that is being done, I'm trying to put it into practice.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miles per kWh. I was just doing the math to show you whether it is possible to do 190 miles. Assuming you have done that drive in warm weather, you should know your efficiency in warm weather.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Thanks - yeah, I can see how what I wrote is confusing. I have seen other trying to set a departure time for 15 minutes in the future and then complaining that it didn't work. I was just trying to get that across.
I thought what you wrote was very clear. Thanks for the detail. I learned a lot!!

Sponsored
OP
OP

wvlightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Thanks everyone for all the great information!!!
@RickLightning back to the math, would it be safe to say all I need to do is keep it at 1.6 miles per kWh and I should be fine? Sometimes I do 2.1, and sometimes I do 1.9, but as long as I keep it above 1.6 I should be in the clear?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks everyone for all the great information!!!
@RickLightning back to the math, would it be safe to say all I need to do is keep it at 1.6 miles per kWh and I should be fine? Sometimes I do 2.1, and sometimes I do 1.9, but as long as I keep it above 1.6 I should be in the clear?
1.6 X 131 = 210 miles, so yes.

me!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
lightning
Preconditioning is always good, but for longer distances, you need to manage your climate control. Precondition will not do anything unless you have a 48 amp or higher charger. At 32 amps, with the heater on, you may still not be able to satisfy all the power needed for charging and for heating the truck.

Use heated seats. don’t take your jacket off. And if you use climate control, set it to the lowest setting you feel comfortable with. (67 or 68 degrees in auto)

Nevertheless, plan for at least a 30% in range loss. With climate and spirited driving it could come close to 45%-50%
Sponsored