• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Winter & Battery, for Canadian buyers.. read this!

Big H

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco
Hi All,

I have downloaded the eSource Book for F150 Lightning. you can get it from here:
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/f-150-lightning-esourcebook-–-146-pages-of-info.8462/

I was interested to read about the battery life during the Canadian winter. I was shocked!! .. I have put some highlights in the attached picture for your reference.

Here are my findings:
1) Ford is expecting us to keep the truck plugged when temperature is below 10 Degrees Celsius (or 50 F.. so basically ALL winter!!) to keep the advanced liquid heat system running to maintain the battery. So during the entire winter, the truck will be using electricity to keep the heat system running..!!! every single day for about 5 months!! I don't even want to discuss summer since the cooling system will need the same..

2) Ford is recommending storing the truck in the garage to maintain the battery and not to keep it in extreme temperatures ... seriously!!! in Canada!!!... Hello, the whole Winter season in Canada is already extreme!!!... and BTW, How many people have a garage to fit an F150 truck in it?!!!!

I'm extremely disappointed in this.. it's like Ford did not really think it through!!

For me .. this is a showstopper.. most probably I will drop my reservation..

Ford F-150 Lightning Winter & Battery, for Canadian buyers.. read this! Winter and Battery

your thoughts?
Sponsored

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
your thoughts?
Keep it plugged in even if you park outside overnight. The vehicle will use power from the plug to condition the battery instead of sapping its own energy.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Mach-e has the same language. We live in Upstate NY and don't have a garage. We plug in when at home, but it sits outside at my wife's work all day. Is it ideal for the battery, no (but it isn't horrible either). Will it reduce range, yes. Is that car still absolutely useable - yup!

The only thing I would avoid is keeping it park in extreme heat or cold at very low battery (under 15 percent). Above that the car will regulate as needed (at the expense of some range).

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Highlander, Mazda miata
I think these are points to improve range and maybe battery longevity but not showstoppers. I think the truck will be fine in our Cdn winters, which has averaged -20C here for past week. My worry is more about expected range loss and the really slow charging if I do need to take a winter road trip and use DC charging. Maybe I just resign to use my gas vehicle for longer road trips and the EV for local.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
I think these are points to improve range and maybe battery longevity but not showstoppers. I think the truck will be fine in our Cdn winters, which has averaged -20C here for past week. My worry is more about expected range loss and the really slow charging if I do need to take a winter road trip and use DC charging. Maybe I just resign to use my gas vehicle for longer road trips and the EV for local.
If you need to use DC charging than you likely drove there. The act of simply driving there would condition the battery to be fine for the DC charging.
It literally says to maximize performance - I.e. not as large of range loss and be able to use all of the power. It would be perfectly fine not plugged in, you would just have to wait on using full power pulls until it is able to warm up (which you shouldn't do cold anyways as the suspension and tires are cold too)

Sponsored

Colorado87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I live at 10,000 ft and winter is half the year. I was nervous about EVs in winter too, but it seems these days half the folks around me are driving teslas and parking on the street without issue.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I kept my Tesla plugged in all the time when not in use, it used minimal energy when not charging. It’s not an issue.
Sponsored