• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Preconditioning- amp question

me!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
lightning
I saw someone mentioned that one needs at least 48amps in order to precondition the truck.
I plan to use my Charepoint Home Flex, not hardwired. The max load is 40amps on a 50 amp circuit.
Does this mean I can not precondition my truck? I live in upstate New York.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I saw someone mentioned that one needs at least 48amps in order to precondition the truck.
I plan to use my Charepoint Home Flex, not hardwired. The max load is 40amps on a 50 amp circuit.
I am not sure where they got that idea. I have had no issues preconditioning my Lightning so far, or our Mach-e all last winter on a 40A EVSE.

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
I am not sure where they got that idea. I have had no issues preconditioning my Lightning so far, or our Mach-e all last winter on a 40A EVSE.
Agree, my 40A Lectron has no issues with preconditioning

Reactions: me!

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
OP
OP

me!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
lightning
Thanks everyone!!

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
It would have been a huge fail if the truck couldn’t precondition on the included EVSE.

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
you can use lower for sure.It will still work. But if you have heat on defrost on and want to keep the battery charged too it will require more than 7.2KW (32 amps). The heater alone could be over 5KW( some people say it is 8, I do not have the specs)

but for the 10-15 minutes I would not worry about it.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Is this new?

I was able to turn on my truck even when it wasn’t plugged in. Not sure why I wouldn’t be able to turn it on when it is plugged in.

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE (sold). F150L Platinum
Is this new?

I was able to turn on my truck even when it wasn’t plugged in. Not sure why I wouldn’t be able to turn it on when it is plugged in.
You're confusing remote start with preconditioning.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
You're confusing remote start with preconditioning.
What’s the difference? (Serious, not in a snarky way)

When I remote start my HVAC comes on as does accessories and power. But the truck isn’t actually driveable.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

When I remote start my HVAC comes on as does accessories and power. But the truck isn’t actually driveable.
Preconditioning also warms or cools the battery so it is ready to go. That can take an hour or 2 when it is around 0F. Remote start just warms or cools the cabin.

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE (sold). F150L Platinum

If anything, I came across as snarky. You certainly didn't.

As said above, it prepares the battery when you precondition. I'm not sure about the F150L as I don't have mine yet, but in the Mach e the only way to precondition is to have the vehicle plugged in and have a departure time set. It'll start prepping the battery a while before your set departure time as well as set the cabin to what you requested. It uses a bit of shore power to do this, but then your efficiency on the road should be better, so it helps with max range. And the cabin will be nice and toasty/cool.

You also don't have to remember to do it like you would with remote start in FordPass, but it relies on you having a consistent schedule. Or I guess messing with the departure times which is a pain. Easier battery preconditioning, like by a button press similar to remote start, is a feature pretty high up on the list of requested improvements from mach e owners.

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
the f150 modifiers guide has the Amps required for each feature. 48amps peak load seems about right. But like ICE doesn’t run fan and AC/heater at full blast when preconditioning or pre starting.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...ces/2022_F-150_BEV_Modifiers_Guide_5-3-22.pdf
Sponsored