• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pro Trailer Backup Assist Calibration Problem.

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I finally got around to setting up a trailer for backup assist using the stickers.
I was careful to place the sticker within the 4" - 19" range specified & followed all the directions to the letter. I've also tried with 3 different sticker placements. I'm able to see the sticker clearly in the camera view as instructed. I tried on two different days to calibrate & both days I run into the same problem. Following the screen directions I drive straight & make the first turn left or right (I have started out in both directions to make sure turning either direction wasn't the problem). After the first turn it instructs me to then drive straight & that's as far as I can get. It continually toggles from calibrating & then a message to drive straight. I never get to the stage of the second turn. I'm in a very big area at the fair grounds so space is not an issue. I even tried it on a street & drove over a mile straight without getting to the next step.

My Ford dealer is stumped on what the problem might be, they are being helpful trying to resolve the issue. I tried the Ford customer Support line & she says to take it to the dealer. So basically getting tossed back and forth. Reading other forums it seems to be an issue with some trucks. Another problem seems to be Ford switching from stickers to the module & then back to stickers.

Anyone else having issues with the sticker calibration. Not sure how much I'll use this system, but would be nice that it worked & will probably be helpful for my wife backing a trailer.
Sponsored

Wattsgas

First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F250
I had issues the first two times I attempted to calibrate the system. When i did get it to calibrate it involved me changing my turn. The key I believe is turning it all the way to the wheel lock as quickly as possible and holding it there and then doing the straight. I also kept it at about 5 mph.

I'm not really sure how often I will use the system. Never really had a problem backing up my trailers. But, I paid for it. In another few days i will try setting it up on our travel trailer.

OP
OP

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I don't seem to have trouble with the turn part, it's after the first turn & then back to straight that it never gets past.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I finally got around to setting up a trailer for backup assist using the stickers.
I was careful to place the sticker within the 4" - 19" range specified & followed all the directions to the letter. I've also tried with 3 different sticker placements. I'm able to see the sticker clearly in the camera view as instructed. I tried on two different days to calibrate & both days I run into the same problem. Following the screen directions I drive straight & make the first turn left or right (I have started out in both directions to make sure turning either direction wasn't the problem). After the first turn it instructs me to then drive straight & that's as far as I can get. It continually toggles from calibrating & then a message to drive straight. I never get to the stage of the second turn. I'm in a very big area at the fair grounds so space is not an issue. I even tried it on a street & drove over a mile straight without getting to the next step.

My Ford dealer is stumped on what the problem might be, they are being helpful trying to resolve the issue. I tried the Ford customer Support line & she says to take it to the dealer. So basically getting tossed back and forth. Reading other forums it seems to be an issue with some trucks. Another problem seems to be Ford switching from stickers to the module & then back to stickers.

Anyone else having issues with the sticker calibration. Not sure how much I'll use this system, but would be nice that it worked & will probably be helpful for my wife backing a trailer.
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Lightning concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

OP
OP

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Thanks for your response I've sent you message with the information.

Sponsored

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
Took me several tries to calibrate mine as well. I found that I needed a big parking lot with lots of room to maneuver, and consistent lighting - the system does not like going in and out of shade/sunlight.

OP
OP

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I was in the large parking area in complete sunshine at the fair grounds. It's larger than any commercial parking lot. Space is not the issue. It goes through the first turn & then to the straight drive & that's it. Ford has my information so hopefully I'm on the right track to get it resolved. It's great they monitor this forum.

Last edited:

1966-Galaxie

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Galaxie 7 Litre, 1931 Model A Roadster. 1994
Occupation
Retired
I am having the same problem. Will not complete calibration after "drive straight" portion begins. Tried for an hour. Any resolution to the OP's original problem? Worked great on my 2019 XLT, but seems the measurement and calibration process have changed. 2022 Lariat ER, September 2022 build.

OP
OP

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I was assigned a Ford Case Number to take to my dealer to repair. I haven't been able to go to the dealer yet. I plan on revisiting this problem probably next week & see if I can resolve it.

1966-Galaxie

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thank you ... I have also contacted "Ford" on this forum. Likewise, if I get a resolution, I will post here. Always nice to see closure on a post rather than a long chain with no conclusion.

Sponsored

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I am having the same problem. Will not complete calibration after "drive straight" portion begins. Tried for an hour. Any resolution to the OP's original problem? Worked great on my 2019 XLT, but seems the measurement and calibration process have changed. 2022 Lariat ER, September 2022 build.
I had a 2019 as well and set up the Pro Trailer on the Lightning using the sticker that was on the trailer since 2019. I just pushed the Pro Trailer button and followed the prompts and used my measurements that I saved from 2019. I was surprised it was that easy.

OP
OP

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I’m taking mine into the dealer tomorrow to see if they can find out why mine won’t calibrate

1966-Galaxie

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Would be great to know what they find. I have an appointment at my dealer on April 18. However, after reading the Owner's Manual in detail, it says longer trailers may need the left/right turn to be as much as 180 degrees, not just 90 degrees. I am going to give it another try mid-week when the weather will be better. Another poster said he did some big figure 8's and got it to calibrate. Let's keep everyone updated. Thanks.

OP
OP

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I haven’t tried my camper yet. I’ve tried with a cargo trailer & a flat trailer. I’m using a very large parking area at the fair grounds & have tried everything imaginable & the same thing each time you drive straight & make the first turn & then never gets past the drive straight & calibrating. I’d guess I’ve spent over five hours over three different days trying to get it to work.

OP
OP

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
What they found on mine was my rear camera was showing an error. I had never received any notification of it & everything except the backup assist worked fine. It works fine now & I’ve calibrated 2 trailers.
Sponsored