• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Public charging

FastMover

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13 F150 Limited 14 Shelby GT500 22 Lightning order
Occupation
Retired
Is there any benefit to setting a public charger as a destination in the route planner?
Did my NY to TN trip last week. Thanks for all the help and advice...
Didn't want to stray off course with the charging stations. Just incase there was a benefit battery wise compared to just stopping at any random chargers off the route.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Is there any benefit to setting a public charger as a destination in the route planner?
Did my NY to TN trip last week. Thanks for all the help and advice...
Didn't want to stray off course with the charging stations. Just incase there was a benefit battery wise compared to just stopping at any random chargers off the route.
I like the predictability of available charging and being at the optimal SOC when stopping 10-20% for peak charging performance, in an ideal world the truck will warm the battery in winter season so that's it's ready to accept a high rate of charge soon after plugging in, some members have noted a loss of this functionality, we hope it's fixed before onset of winter 24/25.

OP
OP

FastMover

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13 F150 Limited 14 Shelby GT500 22 Lightning order
Occupation
Retired
I've never public charged before my trip last weekend. I thought the truck was supposed precondition the battery for the charge. I didn't see anything to indicate that the battery was doing anything before I charged.
Most I got was 171kw to 80% then dropped to the 50-60% range

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I've never public charged before my trip last weekend. I thought the truck was supposed precondition the battery for the charge. I didn't see anything to indicate that the battery was doing anything before I charged.
Most I got was 171kw to 80% then dropped to the 50-60% range
There are no visual cues that preconditioning is happening, unless you're using a OBD2 and app to monitor PTC current and coolant temps heading to the traction battery.

171kw is pretty good rate of charge, your pack temp was probably at optimum conditions.
Sponsored