• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Range display splits when decelerating

msadan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Just wondering if there’s any significance to the two halves of range display separating a bit under deceleration / regen. It doesn’t happen under very mild regen, but anything more aggressive than that causes the two halves of the display to split apart.

Ford F-150 Lightning Range display splits when decelerating IMG_5673
Sponsored

artificial_airspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning | Lariat SR
Just wondering if there’s any significance to the two halves of range display separating a bit under deceleration / regen. It doesn’t happen under very mild regen, but anything more aggressive than that causes the two halves of the display to split apart.

IMG_5673.jpeg
I’ve wondered this same thing myself. I’m in UX design and an Agile Team Product Owner — IMO the displays and interfaces on the instrument cluster are very limited. With something digital and capable like our clusters, you’d think there’d be various themes available. Plentiful arrangement options of metrics and analytics etc. Also it could be so much more aesthetically pleasing and modern/sleek.

Most Ford software is :confused: meh.

OP
OP
msadan

msadan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro

IMG_5673.jpeg
When I see the display split like that it reminds me of brake shoes engaging a brake drum. Pretty sure that's not what they were going for though :)

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Yup. Pretty obvious.

Sponsored
OP
OP
msadan

msadan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I believe it splits when the regen starts.
Could be. The power distribution screen shows regen even under minimal deceleration, before the range display splits, but maybe that screen is not accurate. I just find it curious that the range display doesn't split immediately when the vehicle is decelerating, but rather it seems like the vehicle has to be decelerating by more than a set amount to trigger it. It's certainly possible that there's no regen under minimal deceleration, even though it's indicated on the power distribution display.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Could be. The power distribution screen shows regen even under minimal deceleration, before the range display splits, but maybe that screen is not accurate. I just find it curious that the range display doesn't split immediately when the vehicle is decelerating, but rather it seems like the vehicle has to be decelerating by more than a set amount to trigger it. It's certainly possible that there's no regen under minimal deceleration, even though it's indicated on the power distribution display.
Power distribution shows which way and how much force is applied to the wheels, it's close to what shows for regen but might not be representative of electrons flowing.
There is a threshold for when regen applies and releases, what that is only the designers know.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
It splits to make room for the little green animation that ties the green regen meter to the battery meter. The animation kicks in at slightly more regen than just taking your foot off the gas when in 2 pedal mode, so actively using the brake pedal to increase regen, or even mashing it to engage the discs. The animation in supposed to be a way of indicating that power is flowing back into the battery.

Interesting fact, when you charge to 100% you have no where to put energy regenerated from braking. So you'll see that the regen meter doesn't engage, and is limited on engagement till you're about 97% SOC or lower. You can feel this in the braking, it's a lot less smooth since it's all disc and no regen. The animation won't show at this time either, because there's no room in the battery for that much energy.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I’ve wondered this same thing myself. I’m in UX design and an Agile Team Product Owner — IMO the displays and interfaces on the instrument cluster are very limited. With something digital and capable like our clusters, you’d think there’d be various themes available. Plentiful arrangement options of metrics and analytics etc. Also it could be so much more aesthetically pleasing and modern/sleek.

Ford w

Yeah, to get real numbers you need an ODB scanner and an app like Car Scan.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Interesting fact, when you charge to 100% you have no where to put energy regenerated from braking. So you'll see that the regen meter doesn't engage, and is limited on engagement till you're about 97% SOC or lower. You can feel this in the braking, it's a lot less smooth since it's all disc and no regen. The animation won't show at this time either, because there's no room in the battery for that much energy.
When I charge my Lightning or Mach-E to 100% for a trip, the regen seems perfectly normal when I depart. There is still battery capacity remaining at 100% displayed SoC.
Sponsored