• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Range issues..... 2023 Ford Lightning Pro SR

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I think @Maquis hit it on the head as far as fleet vehicle range goes.

My one way commute is 27 miles, 45-50mph while on city streets and 65-70mph while on the freeway. There's typically light traffic leaving at 6am but I do still hit many red lights. Freeway typically has moderate traffic. Going home takes a bit longer and I drive a bit slower, however I also have a gain in elevation going home so it's a wash on efficiency.

When I travel to Phoenix, 75mph gives me 2.0 but it's also a 1000ft drop in elevation from Tucson. Returning I go 70mph unless I can find a block of traffic to tail at 75pmh, get around 1.9mpk if there's no wind.

My El Paso trips are always windy so it's harder to gauge. Had a great tail wind the past Christmas and got 2.2mpk at 75mph. I'm usually closer to 2.0mpk jumping between 70-75 depending on traffic and elevation changes. Had 1.8mpk coming back a few times despite sticking to 70mph due to wind.

Exactly the more windy driving and longer time at 70 will be more normal in the 2mpk. Stop and go by lights everywhere, congestion and slow traffic under 45 are sure good range boosters, if that is your normal driving area.
Sponsored

dangerdman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
M&A Broker
There are a lot of threads on here that will help you do that.
  • The first answer you find is to ask yourself, "How many days per week/month/year do I need to drive more than 160 miles?"
  • Second, "Do I have time to stop and charge at Tesla (it's happening) or CCS fast chargers when I need more range?"
  • Third, "Does the truck stay in one place where I can have home or work charging to recover my daily range?"
If you can't answer those questions or the answers aren't satisfactory, a BEV is probably not for you.
Be cautious of the "stop and charge at Tesla" since we will have access to the network soon. From what I have read it may only their Gen 3 chargers, not all Tesla chargers. Let me know if I am wrong on this.

For me, I have a 154 mile roundtrip I do 25 times a year. There are currently no fast chargers on the route, but there should be one in the next couple years. I'll need to figure out how to get a whiff of power if I need it.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Be cautious of the "stop and charge at Tesla" since we will have access to the network soon. From what I have read it may only their Gen 3 chargers, not all Tesla chargers. Let me know if I am wrong on this.
That's correct on the Gen 2 Superchargers. You could post your route endpoints or click on the red Superchargers to look for the 250 kW Gen 3s in the link below. I don't know the breakdown, but IIRC, there are 12,000 Gen 3 dispensers that will be available according to the original announcement.

For a 154 mile round trip, you'd have to average about 1.7 mi/kWh with an SR battery leaving with 100% and arriving home at 10%. Or, a similar condition 100% departure with an ER battery would allow 1.4 mi/kWh, arriving home with 15%. I won't speculate on Wisconsin cold, but I could run it like a race horse and be able to make that trip.

https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bounds=47.88016842771074,-84.2017978828125,39.85147124547002,-95.5616611640625&zoom=8&filters=supercharger,party
Sponsored