• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Range issues..... 2023 Ford Lightning Pro SR

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Yeah driving over 60mph will suck it down fast. Now that the temp hit 60f and I did 70% city 30% hwy driving, I have been averaging 3.2/kwh
I take it you live across town where my dad had to walk uphill both ways in the snow. Driving downhill both ways, with a slight tailwind.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Personally I am more concerned about range than efficiency (have 40A charging at home). If I need the range, it likely means I am driving 55mph+ for a distance. I have two trips I do regularly that are 170 miles round trip and it looks like the SR Lightning will not cut it. Zero charging stations along the way, but I could add on 40 minutes of total drive time (aside from charge time) to get to one. And, I refuse to drive remote country roads at ultra low speeds to make it happen.

I really want to love my truck, but it is tough. I bought it for transportation at the same cost of ICE (my XLT was $48K after rebates) to replace an ICE truck with zero impact to my driving habits, and did not buy it for the journey of owning an EV and regularly sitting at remote chargers. With my driving habits, I figured my time at remote chargers should be close to none. I am not trying to be a downer/complainer, but rather honest to anyone reading this and considering buying one who drives 55+ mph in cold weather and thinks they can confidently get even 175 of the 230 when it is 30 degrees. Luckily I also own an ICE car,
If the range of 55mph+ driving does not get better quickly as temps are 50+, I am taking the "L", admitting my mistake, and getting an ICE until there is a step level change in EV.
You clearly didn't do enough research before buying. And you have a misconception that comparing to EPA is relevant to anything.

170 miles round-trip, in an SR, in the winter? No. ER? Yes.

You might be on the hook for the $7500 tax rebate if you do. Make sure you fully understand the repercussions financially, and efficiency is range with evs, just over time. The more efficient you are the longer your range. Everyone's situation is different obviously, but for what you needed it sounds like the extended pack would have done it.
There is no giving back the tax CREDIT.

OP
OP

JEIIYMAN87

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
ELECTROMECHANICAL MAINTENANCE

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
That seems more in line with reality. I thought you were averaging 3.2 with a combination of highway and city heavily weighted city.
I average 2.7 to 3.1 (total) city only and under 55 local state road driving. I live is S Florida, it’s warm, and have never averaged 3.2 with any interstate driving included with city. The interstate is a battery succubus.
I have even removed interstate driving as an option on the gps. My average after several hundred miles of this is 2.9.

Last edited:
OP
OP

JEIIYMAN87

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
That seems more in line with reality. I thought you were averaging 3.2 with a combination of highway and city heavily weighted city.
I average 2.7 to 3.1 (total) it’s and highway driving. I live is S Florida, it’s warm, and have never averaged 3.2 with any interstate driving included with city. The interstate is a battery succubus.
I have even removed interstate driving as an option on the gps. My average after several hundred miles of this is 2.9.
When it is 60f or above I can hit 3+ temperature is a decent factor

Sponsored

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
There are some wildly high mi/kwh based on what has to be extremely different driving standards. I respect the concept of below 55 for best and avoid interstates but seriously truck buyers and for that matter normal drivers aren't doing that. Road trips with normal 65 to 70 mph is going to be 1.9 and lower, cold weather below 60 is easily another 20% hit. We as EV drivers need to be more upfront instead of sugar coating with completely not normal ideas IMHO.

One thing about road trips near major congestion city's is traffic jams are terrific range boosters. Atlanta is terrible but long jams i can't avoid means slow driving and a significant boost. Most get annoyed, but I just take my time.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Thanks for the heads up on the rebate..
Don’t worry about it. You would only owe it back if you purchased the vehicle with the intent of reselling. You clearly did not intend to resell it when you bought it.

OP
OP

JEIIYMAN87

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
There are some wildly high mi/kwh based on what has to be extremely different driving standards. I respect the concept of below 55 for best and avoid interstates but seriously truck buyers and for that matter normal drivers aren't doing that. Road trips with normal 65 to 70 mph is going to be 1.9 and lower, cold weather below 60 is easily another 20% hit. We as EV drivers need to be more upfront instead of sugar coating with completely not normal ideas IMHO.

One thing about road trips near major congestion city's is traffic jams are terrific range boosters. Atlanta is terrible but long jams i can't avoid means slow driving and a significant boost. Most get annoyed, but I just take my time.
I agree, what needs to happen is the EPA needs to set new standards and do a 70 mph test range at lets say the "standard" @65-75f and do one at 25-35f , and also a 45 mph test. People that don't have real experience with EVs don't understand many different aspects of owning/driving one.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
It was 35F this morning with patchy fog when I left for work this morning. Drove like I always do (heated seats/steering wheel and light heater to keep windows from fogging) and got 2.7mpk (I average 2.8mpk year round). 7 miles of that commute is freeway at 65mph, moderate traffic. I think the only time I really noticed a big hit is when we had a cold snap and it dropped to 26F. Got 2.4mpk that day. Aside from external factors, driving style probably has a big impact. I'm just providing my perspective for consideration. Reasonable efficiency is achievable. With 19.6k miles my lifetime average is 2.5mpk (about 25% of my miles are road trip, 70-75mph between Tucson, Phoenix, and El Paso).

Oh, and this is my first EV, for what ever that's worth. I drive it like I did my Legacy, maybe slightly easier on the braking to max regen. I leave the brake coach on and consider it like a video game. Makes me cringe when the light changes at just the wrong time and I have to brake hard.

dangerdman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
M&A Broker
It was 35F this morning with patchy fog when I left for work this morning. Drove like I always do (heated seats/steering wheel and light heater to keep windows from fogging) and got 2.7mpk (I average 2.8mpk year round). 7 miles of that commute is freeway at 65mph, moderate traffic. I think the only time I really noticed a big hit is when we had a cold snap and it dropped to 26F. Got 2.4mpk that day. Aside from external factors, driving style probably has a big impact. I'm just providing my perspective for consideration. Reasonable efficiency is achievable. With 19.6k miles my lifetime average is 2.5mpk (about 25% of my miles are road trip, 70-75mph between Tucson, Phoenix, and El Paso).

Oh, and this is my first EV, for what ever that's worth. I drive it like I did my Legacy, maybe slightly easier on the braking to max regen. I leave the brake coach on and consider it like a video game. Makes me cringe when the light changes at just the wrong time and I have to brake hard.
You are doing good. How long it your commute to work? Can you break it into a few mph/distance groups?

A friend of mine has a fleet of Lightnings at his workplace. He told me just before I bought mine "they are junk. You will be lucky to get 160 out of a charge if you are on highways." I read testimonials like yours and it creates optimism. The lightning is incredibly fun to drive, but I need to figure this range thing out. And I want my friend to be wrong as much as I want the range :).

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
You are doing good. How long it your commute to work? Can you break it into a few mph/distance groups?

A friend of mine has a fleet of Lightnings at his workplace. He told me just before I bought mine "they are junk. You will be lucky to get 160 out of a charge if you are on highways." I read testimonials like yours and it creates optimism. The lightning is incredibly fun to drive, but I need to figure this range thing out. And I want my friend to be wrong as much as I want the range :).
A fleet is generally driven by people who don’t own the vehicles. I’d be willing to bet they are driven briskly (or worse) - it’s just too much fun. The range will definitely suffer.
I bet fleet owners would welcome the ability to limit the acceleration in the software.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I need to figure this range thing out.
There are a lot of threads on here that will help you do that.
  • The first answer you find is to ask yourself, "How many days per week/month/year do I need to drive more than 160 miles?"
  • Second, "Do I have time to stop and charge at Tesla (it's happening) or CCS fast chargers when I need more range?"
  • Third, "Does the truck stay in one place where I can have home or work charging to recover my daily range?"
If you can't answer those questions or the answers aren't satisfactory, a BEV is probably not for you.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER

I think @Maquis hit it on the head as far as fleet vehicle range goes.

My one way commute is 27 miles, 45-50mph while on city streets and 65-70mph while on the freeway. There's typically light traffic leaving at 6am but I do still hit many red lights. Freeway typically has moderate traffic. Going home takes a bit longer and I drive a bit slower, however I also have a gain in elevation going home so it's a wash on efficiency.

When I travel to Phoenix, 75mph gives me 2.0 but it's also a 1000ft drop in elevation from Tucson. Returning I go 70mph unless I can find a block of traffic to tail at 75pmh, get around 1.9mpk if there's no wind.

My El Paso trips are always windy so it's harder to gauge. Had a great tail wind the past Christmas and got 2.2mpk at 75mph. I'm usually closer to 2.0mpk jumping between 70-75 depending on traffic and elevation changes. Had 1.8mpk coming back a few times despite sticking to 70mph due to wind.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning

This is exactly the problem, overall optimistic feedback like this is not a good way to swing decisions, unless the poster is telling someone in his area that drives the exact same are and limits.
Sponsored