• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rivian R2 Price & Specs Leaked: $47500, 0-60 3 Sec, 330 Miles Range

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla model S 2023 F150 Lightning Lairat
Occupation
Manager
That was my exact thought when I purchased my Lightning last year. There are very nice things about Rivian and features that made it tempting, but at the end of the day when I am spending that much on an electric truck, I wanted deep pockets to make sure they will be their to cover their warranty obligations.
Yes, I evaluated the features between the R1T and the Lightning; coming from a GMC Canyon, the R1T felt similar in size and didn't have the other features the Ford has. I have already used the Pro Power onboard for a week-long outage, so Ford for the Win.

I am looking at an R1S to replace my 9-year-old Model S.

And I bought the stock at $10.50 a share, so there is more upside potential than downside. Well see what happens after tomorrow's R2 reveal
Sponsored

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
We often see minivans that pass us with speeds of 20+ miles over speed limit. My wife's typical comment: Here goes another DID (Dad In Denial)

Even at the projected price if they can build it without loss, they will have to compete against what is available at the time of sale. BYD is currently making Dolphin under $10K outside U.S.
Our politicians are trying to put their fingers in the dam by proposing $20K tariff on Chinese cars but even if it passes, how long would that last? There is a lot of uncertainty around R2 especially since Rivian could not make a profit with a more expensive version.

Don't get me wrong, I love good built quality and design but I don't love to pay for it. And it looks like with Chinese cars there is not as much of a compromise in those respects anymore. If Rivian is not building a lot of components used in R2 internally, they may have a hard time competing. Unless they make it "cute". When ladies think something is cute, the specs and price goes out the door.
Other than the Chinese government is subsidizing BYD 2.6 billion per year. And I would never buy a car from an oppressive regime. Yes, there are a lot of people who don't care and will buy one. But it won't be me.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Other than the Chinese government is subsidizing BYD 2.6 billion per year. And I would never buy a car from an oppressive regime. Yes, there are a lot of people who don't care and will buy one. But it won't be me.
I wonder if American car sales will be impacted negatively outside U.S. for political reasons as well. It is hard to predict how any of these companies will do because of all the forces outside the product itself.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
We often see minivans that pass us with speeds of 20+ miles over speed limit. My wife's typical comment: Here goes another DID (Dad In Denial)

Even at the projected price if they can build it without loss, they will have to compete against what is available at the time of sale. BYD is currently making Dolphin under $10K outside U.S.
Our politicians are trying to put their fingers in the dam by proposing $20K tariff on Chinese cars but even if it passes, how long would that last? There is a lot of uncertainty around R2 especially since Rivian could not make a profit with a more expensive version.

Don't get me wrong, I love good built quality and design but I don't love to pay for it. And it looks like with Chinese cars there is not as much of a compromise in those respects anymore. If Rivian is not building a lot of components used in R2 internally, they may have a hard time competing. Unless they make it "cute". When ladies think something is cute, the specs and price goes out the door.
I think Rivian is going to need a lot of that.

I hope they find a way...but damn, I think everyone realizes now how hard it is to build EVs in the US - and have a positive profit margin.

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
I think Rivian is going to need a lot of that.

I hope they find a way...but damn, I think everyone realizes now how hard it is to build EVs in the US - and have a positive profit margin.
Yes, I think Apple just realized that!. Honestly, even building a new car company from the ground up is a massive project.

Sponsored

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
Rivian just came out and did an Apple like "one more thing" and revealed not only the R2 but a R3!!!

Ford F-150 Lightning Rivian R2 Price & Specs Leaked: $47500, 0-60 3 Sec, 330 Miles Range 1709836181201

Ford F-150 Lightning Rivian R2 Price & Specs Leaked: $47500, 0-60 3 Sec, 330 Miles Range 1709836204819

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Rivian beat Tesla to small compact market. Although they didn't announce a price.

$45K -$7500 for the R2 is a steal...... I'm sure this will go up and its comes closer to deliveries.

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
Rivian beat Tesla to small compact market. Although they didn't announce a price.

$45K -$7500 for the R2 is a steal...... I'm sure this will go up and its comes closer to deliveries.
Which is why I put in my reservation as soon as I could, hoping if it does they honor the reveal price like they did for R1.

Isn't the Model Y, their small compact?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Which is why I put in my reservation as soon as I could, hoping if it does they honor the reveal price like they did for R1.

Isn't the Model Y, their small compact?
No, the R3 should be a low $30k model. Tesla is working on a small compact, but this Rivian one is nicely designed at on the exterior side.
Sponsored