• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Cybertruck Specs Leaked!

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
It is an interesting conversation over there. It is absent of the 2 biggest details everyone wants to know: How much and How far.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Man that is a tight interior. Just like Rivian, it's closer to a mid size truck intererior. Full size Crew cab ("Supercrew" in Ford lingo) size trucks are the most popular models sold for a reason. Most people use their trucks as a family vehicle more than a work vehicle.

For me and many the initial deal breaker was that I dont really want my vehicle to "Standout" but now the even bigger deal breaker is the fact that this is not a full size crew cab truck.

stevey_frac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT
So, it's a foot shorter, an inch narrower, the frunk is half the size. it's 8" shorter in height.
The bed is 6" longer, Legroom is down 3-4" both front and back. Headroom is down 1.5" in the back. Shoulder room is down by about 3" front and back as well. Hip room is down by nearly 6". That's a fair bit.

So, the interior is shorter in all dimensions, and the bed is 6" longer. Makes sense, as it's a much shorter truck overall. Losing the big frunk seems like a big loss, and not having the AC plugs is also a shame as they're pretty useful.

The big thing for me is that despite being smaller on every single dimension, AND a unibody truck, it has a higher curb weight than the larger Lightning. Makes me think they threw LFP batteries at to try and keep costs down. For reference, the Curb Weight on the XLT is ~6050 lbs, compared to ~6750 lbs. both for dual motor configuration/

Towing is 11,000 lbs, but honestly, I think that's probably just Tesla not testing per the SAE standard.

Overall, this is believable, and shows it's closer to a midsize truck than it is a full-size, but kinda slots somewhere in between.
I will repeat the other analysis and say, the big things missing here are 'how much' and 'how far'.

Gato Meoow

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 Prius
one of the things that turned me away from Rivian ( aside from too expensive) was the forum was full of people with minor damages and $30,000 bills. Cybertruck is going to be worse.

Sponsored

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
This thing would have been the cats meow if it had came out 5 years ago. This is the Tesla Roadster that's 6 years late to the market. An innovative and unique product that jump starts the rest of the industry, only the industry is already moving.

Props to the man for all his innovations, but this adds nothing to the EV truck market. Does anyone really need a stainless steel bulletproof "truck"?

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Is the interior closer in size to a super cab F150? I need a visual aid 🤪

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just wait til the bullet proof feature causes it to become the vehicle of choice for every high end drug dealer. Good bye Cadillac escalade.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
one of the things that turned me away from Rivian ( aside from too expensive) was the forum was full of people with minor damages and $30,000 bills. Cybertruck is going to be worse.
Oh definitely. Between its unibody construction and the cold-rolled stainless steel panels, it's gonna be a nightmare to repair.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Speaking of leaking, those outlets are in the bed? Exposed to the elements and whatever the owner puts into the bed? That cover does not look very watertight or dirt resistant.

Sponsored

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
My big question is how much this is going to cost Tesla. They reuse many attributes across the Y, S, X, and 3, at least from what I've seen, and they sell 3s and Ys at a huge scale. From what I understand, they can run tight margins because they sell a ton and they're cheaper to make than competitors.

But now we have an F-150 and a RAM that are built off their existing ICE frames. The Lightning shares a ton with a regular F-150, which means each individual piece costs less. Can Tesla say the same making brand new stainless steel body parts, brand new interior designs. I doubt the Cybertruck and a Y share many commonalities besides the screen and software. That could really bite Tesla. We all see how Ford and GM are struggling a bit to sell high cost trucks in a high rate environment, but will Tesla do any better or will they ironically suffer trying to produce enough trucks at scale to offset costs while also needing to mark them up to maintain a profit, or will they sell Cybertrucks at a loss and offset it with their profits from 3s and Ys?

IT just seems like Tesla is shooting themselves in the foot because they're losing one of their biggest advantages in the EV race imho, making bespoke trucks that could easily cost too much and not sell well.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Cool find, thanks for sharing!

I think the Cybertruck is butt-ugly, but its modest size would be a better fit for me if it was a good value. Maybe an option down the line once they get production and pricing ironed out.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My gut tells me that the complexities of building the truck (especially the stainless steel) and then also repairing the stainless steel is going to reduce this to either a very low volume(and premium) or completely shut down in 5 years. I dont think they will abandon the truck market though. There is better aerodynamics to be had and if Tesla put their expertise to work without being fixated on this design they could make a better truck. Maybe this will be their hummer in 5 years and they come out with a better offering that isn't quite as in-your-face.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
IT just seems like Tesla is shooting themselves in the foot because they're losing one of their biggest advantages in the EV race imho, making bespoke trucks that could easily cost too much and not sell well.
Tesla is pretty good at reducing parts and building cars efficiently. That’s partially why there’s so few options on their vehicles. I’m sure the cybertruck will be no different. Large single piece casts, minimalist interior, no paint etc.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
They've been hiding the specs, because the specs suck.
This isn't a competitor for the Lightning or any full size EV pickup truck.

It's an expensive thing that you park at Whole Foods and get pissed that your grocery bags slide around the bed.
Sponsored