• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rivian R2 Price & Specs Leaked: $47500, 0-60 3 Sec, 330 Miles Range

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
Need something to replace the Honda Pilot (seating for 8!) We car pool for school, 7 seats or no go. It's a deal breaker. EV9, seating for 7 and under $50k...yes please. I am [in]patiently waiting to see what Ford's 3 row will offer. If Kia throws out any more customer cash Ford will lose my potential business.
R1S has a few inches more 3rd row legroom than an EV9 and can seat 7. That's a lease price on an R1S, not R2, sir!
Sponsored

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
Hoping this will drive up the stock price, I bought a bunch when it was around 10.50 a share. The make a good product and I hope they survive as a company.
LOL. Did you buy them yesterday? :LOL:

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
R1S has a few inches more 3rd row legroom than an EV9 and can seat 7. That's a lease price on an R1S, not R2, sir!
Not a single review I've seen says the R1S has better 3rd row leg room. It may say it on paper but every single comparison says the EV9 has a bigger interior. I can go after this one which would be a $314/mo lease (estimated assuming trade in on the Pilot) and get everything I need.
https://www.cowboykia.com/inventory/new-2024-kia-ev9-light-rwd-4d-sport-utility-kndaa5s25r6027766/

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not a single review I've seen says the R1S has better 3rd row leg room. It may say it on paper but every single comparison says the EV9 has a bigger interior. I can go after this one which would be a $314/mo lease (estimated assuming trade in on the Pilot) and get everything I need.
https://www.cowboykia.com/inventory/new-2024-kia-ev9-light-rwd-4d-sport-utility-kndaa5s25r6027766/
Cheaper is cheaper. I can't tell you how the trade works against the Rivian.

I have limited time in the EV9, I own an Ioniq 5 (same platform as EV9) and I've owned an R1S.

I would implore you to see both in person and not listen to YouTubers. The bottom line on the R1S rear row is I don't even compare it to the EV9, frankly, they're comparable and we're splitting hairs. I say it's get less rear leg space than a Tahoe but the space is pretty much just as usable because of the sliding second row. Interesting note Hyundai/Kia actually manufacture the R1 seats.

The upshot is unless you're toting specifically a basketball team you'll always have enough space between the 2nd and 3rd row sharing. This is a point that is often lost on the R1S. If you jam the middle row back all the way, then yes, it's comparable to the EV9. If you use as design intended, the R1S feels better.

I wasn't not examining this specific point with a fine tooth comb but it was the take away as someone who rents specifically 7-seaters to specifically people coming into air ports with an eye on what general airport transit cars will work.

On that last front, when the car was new I took the car out and Ubered it, personally, as a test (holy shit you want to talk about a networking gold mine, Uber an R1S on launch as a test for your EV fleet, but I digress). The in-person reaction from Escalade drivers was overwhelmingly positive. The third row wasn't a concern as much as a little bit less space in the trunk area. That wasn't dwelled on though because of the additional space afforded on in the frunk.

Ultimately most renters (public anyways, main money maker was renting out to film productions) were renting it as a test before making the plunge. Not a single one decided against it. There was even a dude who was 6'5" pulling up in a murdered out Suburban looking to replace it with another Suburban. I took him to my personal Chevy dealership, pencilled out a $100k Suburban with Super Cruise, told him outright he would be happier long term in the Suburban... he took the R1S.

The EV9 is a great car, it's just priced a bit too high for my liking. It gets way more difficult to parse the math when you get into these "insane lease" deals. This happened around 2020-21 as well, where leasing actually made more monetary sense on EVs. The payment gets so low that you more than cover depreciation (if you understand cost per mile that makes sense, promise).

Rivian is getting there by way of 70% residual which is just nuts. How that impacts your end of lease options and how the EV9 does it differently likely should factor into your decision.

If off-roading means anything to you at all you shouldn't even be looking at the EV9. If you liked your pilot, the EV9 is like an EV Pilot, sure. Lower to the ground but yeah definitely a "This is what the Pilot of the future should be"

I don't think you're going to choose wrong if you choose EV9. I just don't understand F150 lovers going for the Kia over a Rivian. What a great company and great vehicle. Check out both :D

Last edited:

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
IMO, the biggest flaw with the R1, specifically the R1S, is the 2nd and third row leg room and spacing. The third row of the R1S is is still not as cramped as the Model X, but it's tight.

Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
The challenge is until it is released all that data is vaporware when it comes to the R2’s nice entry price.

The Lightning started currently at $49,9xx so it will be good to have a basic entry model but what it does is TBD

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
If off-roading means anything to you at all you shouldn't even be looking at the EV9. If you liked your pilot, the EV9 is like an EV Pilot, sure. Lower to the ground but yeah definitely a "This is what the Pilot of the future should be"

I don't think you're going to choose wrong if you choose EV9. I just don't understand F150 lovers going for the Kia over a Rivian. What a great company and great vehicle. Check out both :D
In the end, it needs to be something the wife is comfortable driving. She won't drive the lightning, too big for her comfort. In all honesty, we should just get a minivan but she can't bring herself to accept that. So a low ground clearance SUV (minivan wannabe) is a perfect fit. We'll take the lightning when we want to go off-road. Just need a city runner. R1S is over priced for that role, especially one that will be hauling loads of kids. If we didn't need that 3rd row then I'd be very interested to see what the base model R2S will offer. That segment is getting very crowded and ripe for price competition. I like Rivian and hope they succeed. Just not a good fit for our needs right now.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
I maintain an electric Sienna will be popular. All the seats need to do is fold flat, not fold into the floor.

A Sienna is more aero than a Lightning, could have a battery much the same size, and be more practical for many folks.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I maintain an electric Sienna will be popular. All the seats need to do is fold flat, not fold into the floor.

A Sienna is more aero than a Lightning, could have a battery much the same size, and be more practical for many folks.
For sure!!!!

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In the end, it needs to be something the wife is comfortable driving. She won't drive the lightning, too big for her comfort. In all honesty, we should just get a minivan but she can't bring herself to accept that. So a low ground clearance SUV (minivan wannabe) is a perfect fit. We'll take the lightning when we want to go off-road. Just need a city runner. R1S is over priced for that role, especially one that will be hauling loads of kids. If we didn't need that 3rd row then I'd be very interested to see what the base model R2S will offer. That segment is getting very crowded and ripe for price competition. I like Rivian and hope they succeed. Just not a good fit for our needs right now.
So the R1S is 100% overpriced for that role, but not at $550 /mo. lease. I guess that's what I'm getting at with specifically the Rivian. I almost wound up in an R1T because of those lease prices. I'm not sure I've ever heard of a 70% residual before. PS, not trying to convince you of anything, if it were me I'd be gunning for the cheaper one with your list of wants and maybe spring for the R1S if it were comparable and my spouse liked it.

As for the size thing, they're roughly the same size and the R1S has an air suspension, you can drop that on its lowest setting and if it's still bad according to preference running boards cure everything. The F150 100% feels much, much larger than the R1S.

When you take out the oddball lease era we're sitting in while EVs take a dip in demand where I truly see the value break is if you're reaching for a top spec EV9 you're way better off getting the bottom spec R1S. You've already stated you're not a top spec EV9 buyer.

When the time comes you should do yourself a favor and check it out. I'm not sure you'll opt for the R1S (assuming the lease deals are still around making it possible) but I think you'll see what I'm saying. They're such different vehicles taking the time out to check it out is totally worth it. Not too many people out there regret their R1S purchase.

Sponsored

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat

deserthi

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Tech
While I think the the Rivians are very cool, just the fact the so many people are saying things like, "I think they are a great company and I hope they make it" is enough for someone to have second thoughts on purchasing one....at least in my mind.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
While I think the the Rivians are very cool, just the fact the so many people are saying things like, "I think they are a great company and I hope they make it" is enough for someone to have second thoughts on purchasing one....at least in my mind.

That was my exact thought when I purchased my Lightning last year. There are very nice things about Rivian and features that made it tempting, but at the end of the day when I am spending that much on an electric truck, I wanted deep pockets to make sure they will be their to cover their warranty obligations.

dkrueger

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Hoping this will drive up the stock price, I bought a bunch when it was around 10.50 a share. The make a good product and I hope they survive as a company.
me too! I foolishly bought at $96 per share....ugh.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
we should just get a minivan but she can't bring herself to accept that.
We often see minivans that pass us with speeds of 20+ miles over speed limit. My wife's typical comment: Here goes another DID (Dad In Denial)

Is this like when Tesla had the specs listed for the Cybertruck at 500 miles of range?

Rivian has not started building the R2. So, these specs are just what they HOPE to do when they build the R2 in the summer of 2025.
Even at the projected price if they can build it without loss, they will have to compete against what is available at the time of sale. BYD is currently making Dolphin under $10K outside U.S.
Our politicians are trying to put their fingers in the dam by proposing $20K tariff on Chinese cars but even if it passes, how long would that last? There is a lot of uncertainty around R2 especially since Rivian could not make a profit with a more expensive version.

Don't get me wrong, I love good built quality and design but I don't love to pay for it. And it looks like with Chinese cars there is not as much of a compromise in those respects anymore. If Rivian is not building a lot of components used in R2 internally, they may have a hard time competing. Unless they make it "cute". When ladies think something is cute, the specs and price goes out the door.
Sponsored