• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Shifter Squeaking 2022 Pro

chrislittle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning Pro
Has anyone had the squeaking (video below) when shifting their lightning? its gotten worse over time for me. Could I put WD40 in that area or am I going to regret that?

Sponsored

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Have you checked the rubber piece in front of it, maybe it's out of alignment? Does it move left or right? Maybe someone pulled on it?

StrikesTwice

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 VW GTI / 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
It’s the interior of your truck. Don’t use the standard wd40. It’s oily and will attract dirt. If you’re going to use a lubricant, use a dry lubricant.

OP
OP
chrislittle

chrislittle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning Pro
thanks everyone. things don't seem too out of place but I'm going to take it to the dealer as lowering the shifter makes an even louder sound so clearly the trim must be off enough to make noise.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Has anyone had the squeaking (video below) when shifting their lightning? its gotten worse over time for me. Could I put WD40 in that area or am I going to regret that?

Good morning, Chris! I would be glad to help you out with this squeaking concern if you'd like. Just shoot us a direct message with your VIN and dealer name/location, and I'll get right on it. To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". Thank you!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Wd40 is electrically conductive, never use on electronics.

The shifter shouldn't be squeaky, it could be a misaligned trim like @kbuicker said.
WD-40 has a dielectric strength of 35KV. It’s not conductive. One of its common uses was to spray into the distributor cap to displace the moisture.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Yes, it was advertised like that decades ago. I still wouldn't use it on sensitive electronics.
Agree - I can’t really think of a reason to use it on electronics, but if an electro-mechanical device requires lubrication, it would be fine to use.

HJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, F150 Lightning, DMG Mach-E GTPE
My Lariat trim does the same but not always. Have not been able to find a reason for it. The trim looks OK and it's not always. Forgot to ask last time it went to the shop but based on history won't be long before it goes again and will ask.
Sponsored