• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Snow tire chains - Anyone used or purchased?

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
Anyone used or purchased snow tire chains, especially for the Lariat wheels?

Heading up to the mountain next week and carrying them is required. The snow rating on these tires are so low that I might have to just put them on too.
Sponsored

Bigisland Guy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat SR Build group 10/24/2022
Occupation
Property Mgmt
Bought a pair of Z cables and they were easier to install rather than standard chains used them on black ice around Lake Arrowhead area they work and the truck does well, just mind your charge levels in freezing temps.

JPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Rebar Detailer/Estimator
I have a set in my frunk for the Lariat wheels but then read in the owners manual chains are not recommended for the 20” wheels… I installed Blizzaks since I do a fair amount of skiing and have not needed to use the chains and I hope it stays that way.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I have a set in my frunk for the Lariat wheels but then read in the owners manual chains are not recommended for the 20” wheels… I installed Blizzaks since I do a fair amount of skiing and have not needed to use the chains and I hope it stays that way.
What is this "manual" you speak of?

Sponsored

Jreed

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 XLT
The manual is confusing on the tire chain requirements; is Ford stating that you can’t put chains on the 275/60R20 tires that come standard on the Lariat ER? If you plan on driving in the snow and chains are required do you need to replace the 20” tires with 275/65R18? Or do I purchase 275/65R18 chains that can fit the 20” standard tires? Sounds like a question for the dealer.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The manual is confusing on the tire chain requirements; is Ford stating that you can’t put chains on the 275/60R20 tires that come standard on the Lariat ER? If you plan on driving in the snow and chains are required do you need to replace the 20” tires with 275/65R18? Or do I purchase 275/65R18 chains that can fit the 20” standard tires? Sounds like a question for the dealer.
Yes, it clearly says "only use snow chains on 275/65R18 tire size. Only install chains that are 15mm or less (SAE Class S chains)".

That couldn't be clearer. So to answer your questions:

No, you cannot put chains on 275/60R20.
No, you cannot buy the chains for the 275/65R18 and put them on the 20" tires.

So, if you cannot get by with 4x4, and you must use chains, either change the tire size or don't drive that day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
petemill

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
Bought a pair of Z cables and they were easier to install rather than standard chains used them on black ice around Lake Arrowhead area they work and the truck does well, just mind your charge levels in freezing temps.
Thanks, just picked these up. They seem the best value and are still class S, low clearance compatible.

Have to ignore the manual's statement not to put snow chains on the R20 wheels. After a 6 hour drive to get to the mountain, if they happen to have a chain restriction that enforces even 4x4 need snow chains, I'm clearly not going to turn around or pop in to a local shop and buy 4 new wheels!

Anyway, the manual states "chains" and these are "cables". ;)

bg226

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Thanks, just picked these up. They seem the best value and are still class S, low clearance compatible.

Have to ignore the manual's statement not to put snow chains on the R20 wheels. After a 6 hour drive to get to the mountain, if they happen to have a chain restriction that enforces even 4x4 need snow chains, I'm clearly not going to turn around or pop in to a local shop and buy 4 new wheels!

Anyway, the manual states "chains" and these are "cables". ;)
Any update on this? Did you have to use the "cables"?

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Yes, it clearly says "only use snow chains on 275/65R18 tire size. Only install chains that are 15mm or less (SAE Class S chains)".

That couldn't be clearer. So to answer your questions:

No, you cannot put chains on 275/60R20.
No, you cannot buy the chains for the 275/65R18 and put them on the 20" tires.

So, if you cannot get buy with 4x4, and you must use chains, either change the tire size or don't drive that day.
Or change out tires to studded.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Or change out tires to studded.
Studded or not, CA requires chains in chain controlled areas. Even if you don't need to put them on they have to be somewhere in the vehicle to pass through the chain control area.

F-Truck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7.3 F250, Audi etron, ‘69 chevelle
Page 463 states of the 2023 manual: "only use chains on the rear wheels", and "Only use snow chains on 275/65R18 tire size. Only install chains that are 15mm or less (SAE Class S chains)".
In my opinion, unless you are worried about clearance when turning, i would recommend chains on the front rather than the back. Better stopping, better climbing and better turning. It is better all around.

Last edited:

Sneakypetie78

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 limited
Occupation
General Contractor
In my opinion, unless you are worried about clearance when turning, i would recommend chains on the front rather than the back. Better stopping, better climbing and better turning. It is better all around.
Clearance will 100% be an issue on the front of a lariat. Mine is CLOSE to the bumper..

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New F-150 XLT Lightning
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
Hum, I thought I read somewhere that chains were a No No, but if needed, Cables could be used, Not sure of the front/back issue
Sponsored