• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

SOS on Trailer Hitch Ball Mount and Ball

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
Now that I am missing the scale, what is the best way of knowing my tongue weight?
That's where the Weighsafe hitch comes in. That's why I have it. It's got a scale built in to measure tongue weight. (that's why it's pricey)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
That's where the Weighsafe hitch comes in. That's why I have it. It's got a scale built in to measure tongue weight. (that's why it's pricey)
Totally missed that the first round. I thought it was pricey due to some fancy alloy. It is now on my wish list for when I get something worthy of it.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
Go to an open parking lot and practice backing.
This is going to be some of the best info in this thread as well. Smaller/short trailers will be a pain to backup initially but if you can wrangle those tiny boxes in a parking lot then you're basically ready for a semi trailer lol.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Now that I am missing the scale, what is the best way of knowing my tongue weight?
If you are towing a travel trailer, you visit CAT scales and weigh it and the truck. There is a process to follow that tells you how much weight is on each axle, with and without wdh, and it is simple math. In general, you find a trailer that is not too long for your truck, and which has a max GVWR (weight of trailer plus loaded contents) that doesn't exceed your capacity to tow (see payload comments prior). For example, if you have available payload of 1,600 pounds, and you add 100 pound wdh, 50 pounds of bedliner, and 50 pounds of misc, you're down to 1,400 pounds. Now you load in, wife, 2 kids and a dog, plus misc crap and that's another 500 pounds so you're down to 900 pounds.

900 pounds at 13% tongue weight is 900/.13 or 6,923 max loaded trailer. That's a trailer with a GVWR of 7,000 pounds.

Remember to plan for children and dogs (and you but not wife) getting bigger / fatter.

There are methods to weigh the tongue with a bathroom scale that you can Google for. Don't buy a fancy hitch. Besides, you need a wdh hitch and most won't have a scale. Buy the best wdh you can afford, not the most gimmicky one.

Trailer salespeople and truck salespeople will lie about your capability to tow. Do your own research and learn. Rent before buying.

Lastly, this forum is not where you should learn. There is scant knowledge here. I can recommend a good source, DM me if interested.
Sponsored