• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Spare Tire Placement Design

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
There are plenty o
One of the good parts of having the spare tire mounted in the bed or in the frunk would be to prevent the hardware from rusting together preventing you from lowering everything to the ground
You could try to see if it would fit in the frunk as it exists now. If you see pictures of the frunk with the interior tub and trim removed, you'd understand that no spare will ever fit under the frunk as it exists now.

One other caution is that some vehicles use the spare to absorb energy in their crash event rating. If the spare moves in a collision, it is punctured by a saw-like structure on the vehicle. I haven't looked under the Lightning to see if there's one there.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Didn't realize it was a 2 year old thread as I was reading the posts, but if it's already been bumped...🤔

One of the good parts of having the spare tire mounted in the bed or in the frunk would be to prevent the hardware from rusting together preventing you from lowering everything to the ground; granted, that doesn't seem like it would happen with us 1st-owners but it's often a common issue on the rust belt trucks of even just a few years old.

You also don't usually find this out until it's too late, unless you have a routine of lowering the wheel and lubing up the mechanism.
Owned an F-150 for a decade. Every 6 months or so, I lower the spare and air it up to the max sidewall pressure. I examine the bumper lock and lube it if necessary. Simple.

I just did this on my new 2022 Lightning. Was surprised the spare was a temporary.

This also gives people the chance to pull out the tools and see how they work. I can tell you from the ICE F-150 forum, there are people that have no idea how to lower the tire when they're on the roadside in the pouring rain. Tough time to learn.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
My 78 Super Beetle has the spare in the frunk! It’s not a new concept.
Sponsored