• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat XR, 2008 Ridgeline, 1953 Unimog
I live in southern Ontario in an off-grid house I built ~20 years ago. I have 5kW of solar panels on the roof feeding into a 48VDC lead acid battery bank. For about 8 months of the year I produce a surplus of electricity which I cannot store (when the batteries are full they're full). Since I am not attached to the grid, and attaching to the grid is impractical and expensive as I'm ~1km from the nearest pole, I wanted an EV so that during the 8 months that I have a surplus I could send the surplus to my vehicle. When the Lightning was announced it was a dream come true. I traded in my 2019 Honda Ridgeline on a 2022 Lightning Lariat ER.

This fall we sorted out the cables, grounds, and inverter settings to connect the truck to the house so that we can use Pro Power On-board to charge the house from the truck instead of the Honda 6500i gas genset that I normally use. Thankfully both the truck and the gas genset use the same 240V twist lock plug type so I can use the same wire for both.

You might notice from the screenshots that the house is only drawing 2.4kw from the truck. This is a limitation of how the Outback inverter connects to the truck and we're talking to Outback about how we can bring that number up. I'm not really concerned though since I don't especially care if I charge the house quickly or slowly. If for some reason I need to pick up the pace I can fall back to my gas genset which can charge at 5kw.

The house battery bank is actually smaller in capacity than the truck battery bank and I have the Pro Power cut off set at 150km (a big cushion for me). My partner has a house in the city where I installed my Ford Pro charger. So on nights when we sleep there I charge the truck off her house and effectively drive the electrons 30km to my house and feed them into my batteries.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging my off-grid house from my Lightning IMG_3347

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging my off-grid house from my Lightning IMG_3348

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging my off-grid house from my Lightning IMG_3349

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging my off-grid house from my Lightning Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 1.20.23 PM
Sponsored

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
This is so cool. I love reading these types of reports.

4BLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT-SR Max Tow Azure Gray Metallic
Thank you for sharing. I’m interested in doing the same thing with my next house. I’m curious on the size of your current battery bank and the size of your home if you don’t mind sharing.

OP
OP
saturnschildren

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat XR, 2008 Ridgeline, 1953 Unimog
Thank you for sharing. I’m interested in doing the same thing with my next house. I’m curious on the size of your current battery bank and the size of your home if you don’t mind sharing.
Hey there my battery bank is 1100AH @ 48V, or 52.8KwH.

My house is 2500 sq/ft.

We have all the normal appliances except a clothes dryer. I prefer hanging my clothes to dry so I don't miss it.
Sponsored