• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Swap Pro 12 inch screen for Lariat 15 inch screen possible?

Mcfly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma trd off road
Occupation
Realtor
This might not be popular with most owners but I actually prefer the larger 15 inch screen. Does anyone know if the swap from standard 12 inch screen to the 15 inch screen is possible? My truck is a 23 Pro with the tow tech package, 360 camera. I found some pics of the back of a 15 inch screen and the 12 inch screen/climate controls. To me it looks like the same connections are on both. I know you would have to get the upper center dash vents and lower panel. I found one for sale, pics attached. I'm sure if this is possible Forscan would be involved but I'm not sure if the programing is possible.

Ford F-150 Lightning Swap Pro 12 inch screen for Lariat 15 inch screen possible? Screenshot_20240209-083109~2
Ford F-150 Lightning Swap Pro 12 inch screen for Lariat 15 inch screen possible? Screenshot_20240209-083139~2
Ford F-150 Lightning Swap Pro 12 inch screen for Lariat 15 inch screen possible? Screenshot_20240209-144018~2
Ford F-150 Lightning Swap Pro 12 inch screen for Lariat 15 inch screen possible? Screenshot_20240209-154502
Sponsored

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
I can’t imagine this is more than a parts change and some modules and Forscan edits.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
And if you do figure it out, I'm sure there will many Lariat owners who will want to buy your old setup so they can get the dedicated HVAC controls. :). Good luck - I'm rooting for you!

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
If there was a way to do it, and have all my OTA's and warranty work, I would trade the whole dash with you to make it happen. I hate the 15" screen.
Get in line. Someone do a functional write up and I’ll swap mine asap. I’ll take the 12” any day.

As someone who has owned both the 12” and the 15” @Mcfly stick with the 12”. Aside from getting real buttons, the usable space is better on it when using maps, less intrusion into the space above and below as well.

Sponsored

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
As someone with the 15, I would much prefer the 12. The buttons on the 15 for HVAC are too small and many are two screens in (looking at you recirculation). The 12 has all the buttons and dials you need, and lights to tell you if they are on or off. I think Ford just wanted to look like Tesla but doesn’t have the dedication to make what they did better through an update.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Wouldn't software updates be based on VIN? If Ford thinks you have 12", I suspect that may mess you up on OTA after making the swap. I don't know for sure. Just guessing.

p.s. 12" Screen on the Pro was one of the items on my Pro list.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Go Google Sandy Monroe and the tear down of the truck. They take the dash apart and show how the dash is put together. It'll give you a good indication of how much would have to be swapped to move from one screen to another.

OP
OP
Mcfly

Mcfly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma trd off road
Occupation
Realtor
Thanks everyone for the advise, I've looked at some diagrams and the dash parts for the swap would be pretty extensive/expensive. Best route would be to slowly horde parts off salvage trucks. After hearing most say they prefer the 12 inch with physical buttons I think I'll put this on hold for now. But I'll be watching to see if anyone takes this on.

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
If there was a way to do it, and have all my OTA's and warranty work, I would trade the whole dash with you to make it happen. I hate the 15" screen.
Thanks everyone for the advise, I've looked at some diagrams and the dash parts for the swap would be pretty extensive/expensive. Best route would be to slowly horde parts off salvage trucks. After hearing most say they prefer the 12 inch with physical buttons I think I'll put this on hold for now. But I'll be watching to see if anyone takes this on.
If it was just a matter of swapping a screen, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but as you know, it's basically swapping out the entire center console, including all those physical buttons and dials, which to me would be a deal breaker.

I had the 15" screen in my Mach-E before I ordered my XLT because I really missed having physical buttons. I didn't like having to dig down a few menus to access simple things and other times I couldn't do certain things at all while driving because it was distracting.

They improved the software from time to time, so at least the touchscreen has the ability to evolve to the point where the buttons are not an issue, but for me, there's nothing easier or more intuitive than having buttons and dials.

The funny thing is it's MUCH more expensive to manufacture all those buttons and dials than it is to have a screen and control everything via software, yet the they essentially consider the 15" an upgrade.

LightningB514

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Accountant
This is obviously an unpopular opinion but I love my 15 inch screen. It makes the car look futuristic and on par with other EVs. That’s the biggest reaction I get whenever anyone comes inside the truck. I do agree that climate control isn’t great, I honestly don’t know how to use the climate control 100% but I know enough to set it to my preference. Not a big deal to me since I don’t have to change it every minute. Good luck swapping it out if you eventually do! Would make for a cool video!

DiveMan911

First Name
R.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Acura TL, '13 Ford Escape
I concur with @LightningB514… I like the 15” screen. I find it to be rather functional and enjoy the extra real estate and the implementation with Apple CarPlay.
There will always be disagreements about UI and implementation no matter how it’s done, or by who…and frankly I appreciate that Ford allows options, because a lot of it comes down to preference. I certainly have my “notes” about how they could have done it better…but I feel like Ford’s engineers stuck a pretty good balance of virtual and physical buttons with the 15”. My 2 biggest changes would be:
#1: performance…the system needs more memory/processing power…it’s a little slow and glitchy.
#2: ability to upgrade later. Modern vehicles will FAR outlive the technology in the infotainment systems, so there needs to be an option to swap out the hardware and upgrade in the future. This is true across the entire industry…I don’t believe anyone has figured this out yet. (Rant over)

OP
OP
Mcfly

Mcfly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma trd off road
Occupation
Realtor
This is obviously an unpopular opinion but I love my 15 inch screen. It makes the car look futuristic and on par with other EVs. That’s the biggest reaction I get whenever anyone comes inside the truck. I do agree that climate control isn’t great, I honestly don’t know how to use the climate control 100% but I know enough to set it to my preference. Not a big deal to me since I don’t have to change it every minute. Good luck swapping it out if you eventually do! Would make for a cool video!
This is my opinion as well. It makes the interior look more modern. Coming from my R1T I like the larger screen. In that truck the climate controls were on the screen and after awhile you just get used to it.

OP
OP
Mcfly

Mcfly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma trd off road
Occupation
Realtor
Get in line. Someone do a functional write up and I’ll swap mine asap. I’ll take the 12” any day.

As someone who has owned both the 12” and the 15” @Mcfly stick with the 12”. Aside from getting real buttons, the usable space is better on it when using maps, less intrusion into the space above and below as well.
I feel like the swap from 15 inch to 12 would be cheaper and easier to source the parts. They might be the same as the ice trucks.
Sponsored