• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

System Update problem???

Hunter

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I got a message that there is a new system update for my Lightning. I chose the option to schedule it overnight. However it didn't do it. Then I tried the "Update Now" option, and again, it had an error. Any ideas what's going on or what I'm doing wrong?
Sponsored

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
How long do you drive the car when use it, and have you had it sitting for an extend amount of time?

I only drive my car for 10 minutes / 4 miles at time during the week. I had the car at the dealer for a new gear module for three weeks. This resulted in the 12v not being charge enough to satisfy the condition for the update to install.

I called Ford and they were able to confirm it was the 12V condition that was the problem. They advised to drive for more than 30 mins. This triggers the high voltage battery to charge the 12V.

Worked perfectly. Drove for 45 minutes. Stopped for lunch and manually started an update.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Almost certainly the 12V being low. You don't even have to drive it. Just start the truck, disable the power down timer and let it run for an hour. This'll help replenish the 12V battery.

Rockythepaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning
I was away for a week and Truck was parked in the garage with charge cable in. It updated to 4.1.1 on the 3rd day on its own. I don't drive more than 20 mins at a time.

Karlos

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning, 1999 GMC Sierra
Occupation
Retired CPA, active pilot
They advised to drive for more than 30 mins. This triggers the high voltage battery to charge the 12V.
That sounds like what I had to do with my '64 VW with generator - have we gone backwards ??

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro
Almost certainly the 12V being low. You don't even have to drive it. Just start the truck, disable the power down timer and let it run for an hour. This'll help replenish the 12V battery.
Not that any of this makes sense, considering the manual for the truck states "the high voltage battery transfers energy to the 12 volt battery when the vehicle is off" in reference to "keeping the 12 volt battery charged". Now maybe there are some parameters that trigger that powered down charge that aren't sufficient for whatever the update is looking for when it reaches out to the truck. IDK.
But my truck has had 4 successful updates, two of which were 1/27/23 and 1/30/23. But the latest update has failed 4 times. So I started the truck and let it "idle" in the driveway for an hour. After an hour I set the update time to 15 minutes later and I double checked that my truck is connected to my home wifi.
The scheduled time came and I got the same notification of a failed update.
Sponsored