• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TESLA ADAPTER FOR CHARGING YOUR LIGHTNING

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning SR EG 311A
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I've read this back in July and I think it's just, SAE doing the right thing. The Tesla plug never went through any such process because Tesla didn't care, Tesla does what they want. This is the correct process to standardize something, but as an electrical engineer I don't see this going anywhere. This is simply aiming to standardize the connector, which should've been done long ago before people started using them at their houses and charging sites. Nothing about the Tesla network or physical chargers is standardized and Tesla has no intention of doing that. That means, even if the connector and electrical protocols are somehow standardized/opened enough to be implemented into other vehicles Tesla could still say, NO, sorry, you can't charge at A, B, or C, sites; they're too busy with Teslas. Same with price, they could say, all non-Tesla owners have to pay double :(. Sadly, even with the adapter solution this is all still true.

It's cute though how they tried to call it NACS when it has never been a standard by what the professional engineering industry considers.
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The "professionals" failed to deliver us something that was as good or better than what Tesla came up with and that's why they are having to back pedal to gives us a better plug. The standard they are putting in place is based on what Tesla opened up because they want more people using their network. While the locations in your area are congested, there are hundreds that aren't and Tesla will happily welcome the additional income from non-Tesla's making use of an empty location.

Yes, Tesla still controls their network, but that's not much different than EA or EVgo controlling theirs. I agree that CCS will be around for a while yet, it won't die off that fast. But I also think that using the Tesla network will happen, it will happen affordably (more expensive than EA but not double), and it will happen in 2024 (hopefully Spring but more likely Summer).

Reactions: GDN

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
I've read this back in July and I think it's just, SAE doing the right thing. The Tesla plug never went through any such process because Tesla didn't care, Tesla does what they want. This is the correct process to standardize something, but as an electrical engineer I don't see this going anywhere. This is simply aiming to standardize the connector, which should've been done long ago before people started using them at their houses and charging sites. Nothing about the Tesla network or physical chargers is standardized and Tesla has no intention of doing that. That means, even if the connector and electrical protocols are somehow standardized/opened enough to be implemented into other vehicles Tesla could still say, NO, sorry, you can't charge at A, B, or C, sites; they're too busy with Teslas. Same with price, they could say, all non-Tesla owners have to pay double :(. Sadly, even with the adapter solution this is all still true.

It's cute though how they tried to call it NACS when it has never been a standard by what the professional engineering industry considers.
This is why gas stations are competitive.

JTWIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nothing
My Tesla Wall connector 3 is set to max at 48 amps, but when using Lectron adapter to charge my lightning it only gets 40-amps. any ideas as to why?

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Power loss in the transmission and in the truck. It’s normal.

Sponsored

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
I believe Farley mispoke. "We're gonna ship an adapter to everyone that has bought a Ford EV " in this interview. It does not say "ship for free", but one could easily construe it that way.

However, In the Twitter spaces announcement Musk (when discussing the adapter) stated "it will not be cost prohibitive... it will be something that is quite affordable... in the hundreds of dollars range".

Watch the 14:10 to 16:10 mark of this video.

So seeing as how the adapter is only for existing Ford EV's with CCS and he states it will be in the hundreds of dollars I dont think they are meaning it will be shipped free to customers even if Farley accidentally inferred it in an interview.
I believe your right. we'll see but I'm prepared to buy one as soon as they are available.