• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
This is being covered in another thread. The GM/pilot/EvGo nerwork is said to be fast tracked for development. Thats probably because all the site selections are done and permitting is fairly easy.

The first wave is supposed to be done by the end of 2023.

I don't necessarily trust GM either..but this seems legit
The reason this is a priority and likely to happen this time is the availability of $7+ billion (edit: actually ~$5 billion) in funding through NEVI.

I think companies are prepping charging sites now so they have shovel-ready projects ready to go when the money starts flowing.
Sponsored

Last edited:

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
The reason this is a priority and likely to happen this time is the availability of $7+ billion in funding through NEVI.

I think companies are prepping charging sites now so they have shovel-ready projects ready to go when the money starts flowing.
Also, there is the added bonus of reliability and performance standards. I heard that in order to qualify you must maintain a reliability rate of at least 90%(it may have been 95%).

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
There are going to be so many CCS chargers within two years because of NEVI, Tesla Superchargers will be irrelevant.
I doubt that Tesla ever becomes truly irrelevant, but I hope you're right on having more reliable CCS chargers. We've been here 5-6 times before, though - and $2B of dieselgate money gave us only the EA system.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
The reason this is a priority and likely to happen this time is the availability of $7+ billion in funding through NEVI.
I have read only $5B, and it's $1B per year - so we're looking at a long ramp and not a fast deployment. $2B got us where we are with EA today, I hope this is different this time.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla opening superchargers to non-tesla vehicles in the US 1657984259209

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
I have read only $5B, and it's $1B per year - so we're looking at a long ramp and not a fast deployment. $2B got us where we are with EA today, I hope this is different this time.
The EA experience is not fully relevant as a lot of $2 Billion got diverted into 'Education', marketing, state transfers etc.

Something like $800 million is required to be spent in California! You see how no one in CA is complaining about DCFC access any more.

The coast to coast charger network, which we use, only got $190 Million and even there the third and fourth cycles only finish in 2024. See snip below. So EA was done on a shoe string though I suspect EA ended up spending bit more than this as Ford, Kia, VW, Hyundai, Nissan, etc paid EA money for contract access to the network.

So $5 billion if all spent on chargers, not diverted by others, would essentially cover the country. Nothing will be more than 25 miles away. More spaced than gas stations but largely a complete network.

It will be important maintain laser focus on new stations and locations rather than get caught up with paying 'existing' networks.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla opening superchargers to non-tesla vehicles in the US 1657985234872

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Because the masses can afford a Tesla. Yeah Right.

You can't argue with the Tesla cult. I bet most of them don't even know Elon wasn't the inventor/founder of Tesla. He just showed up with a suitcase of money from daddy...
One of the most ridiculous assertions ever made on this forum. But as expected from source. This has been litigated and Elon won. Facts matter dude. #greenne, have you nothing better to do but promote the failed EA charging network and trash Elon Musk? I am no Musk fanboi, but you are one pathetic human being with massive insecurity issues if you've got nothing better to to than crawl out of your mother's basement every day and waste time on these threads doing so. Elon Musk now lives in your head and is eating your most valuable asset - time. Kind of funny if it weren't so sad.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
$2B got us where we are with EA today, I hope this is different this time.
I dunno, I've traveled 1,000 miles (roundtrip) on I-40 between Memphis, TN and Asheville, NC over the last 3 weeks using EA almost exclusively and I think it's been pretty great. I visited 7 stations with 4 chargers at each location and only 3 of those chargers were out of service.

EA has a lot of room for improvement and is nowhere near the reliability of the SC, but I think it's remarkable that they have built a ground-up cross-country network in less than 4 years that allows me to road-trip my Lightning pretty much anywhere I want to.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Just watched this video from @OutofSpecKyle and it kinda made me nauseated seeing all the charging failures:

Seems like the situation is getting worse before it (hopefully) gets better.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Just watched this video from @OutofSpecKyle and it kinda made me nauseated seeing all the charging failures:

Seems like the situation is getting worse before it (hopefully) gets better.
Back when Kyle did the Cannonball in the Taycan he would have never made it in the real world but he reached out to EA and other chargers - EA checked and sent technicians out to fix and make sure they were all working. It was very special attention given. That has been a year or two now.

I'll note that truly the best way to keep them working is many more of us needing to use them and to stay on EA. They should phone home when something goes wrong and repairs should be less than 12 hours if only one port of a few are down. If the whole station is down they need 1 to 2 hour response.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
One of the most ridiculous assertions ever made on this forum. But as expected from source. This has been litigated and Elon won. Facts matter dude. #greenne, have you nothing better to do but promote the failed EA charging network and trash Elon Musk? I am no Musk fanboi, but you are one pathetic human being with massive insecurity issues if you've got nothing better to to than crawl out of your mother's basement every day and waste time on these threads doing so. Elon Musk now lives in your head and is eating your most valuable asset - time. Kind of funny if it weren't so sad.
Defensive much? Thanks for proving my point about the Tesla cult.

a. Did Elon "invent" Tesla? Yes or NO ( Tesla's History From Founding to $700 Billion Company (businessinsider.com) )

b. You still mad at Ford for turning something on YOU requested they turn on for you?

Funny, things were mostly quiet and cordial and then you showed up...
Sponsored

Last edited: