• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
...are you asking a question? Tesla is a car company, so yes, everything it's achieved was made possible by enough people buying a car - including its charging network.
You'll have to ignore trolls like this. As a Ford Employee family member we realize the benefits of invention. Tesla didn't invent the Electric Vehicle like Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile. What they both did is bring it to the masses.

Thanks for sharing your companies Plugs with us!

I would have thought the electric companies would have installed chargers like the oil companies set up service stations when the automobiles started popping up.
Sponsored

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
Tesla didn't invent the Electric Vehicle like Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile. What they both did is bring it to the masses.
I mean 🤦‍♀️.
Where does this BS come from. God lord.
I can pretty much tell you almost no one on this forum or the EV world is the masses.

The only group of masses who drive EV's I have run into are nissan leaf's, know a dollar store clerk who drives one and maybe the plug in volt. Even the Prius don't get the feel is masses.

Bet you the Bolt driving population is more masses than TSLA will ever be.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I mean 🤦‍♀️.
I can pretty much tell you almost no one on this forum or the EV world is the masses.

The only group of masses who drive EV's I have run into are nissan leaf's, know a dollar store clerk who drives one and maybe the plug in volt. Even the Prius don't get the feel is masses.

Because the masses can afford a Tesla. Yeah Right.

You can't argue with the Tesla cult. I bet most of them don't even know Elon wasn't the inventor/founder of Tesla. He just showed up with a suitcase of money from daddy...

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I would have thought the electric companies would have installed chargers like the oil companies set up service stations when the automobiles started popping up.
It took a while for the oil companies to establish the service station model. Prior to that, you purchased your fuel from any number of different places, from grocery stores to the car dealers to hardware stores and even blacksmiths (get your horses shoed *and* your cars filled).

Carnegie and Rockefeller were the ones who pulled it all together and created the environment that we are so accustomed to nearly 100 years later. Just like there are many people who think Elon Musk is either a hero or the devil incarnate, the same opinions existed for Carnegie and Rockefeller at the time. Those who objectively look at the business behind it, instead of being the cult of anti-Tesla or the cult of Tesla can see how this might evolve. We've heard for over 5 years now that every corner will have a CCS charging station... that's not changing for a while, not even with all of VW's penalty money and any government incentives.

Likewise, I think it's taking a long time for the EV charging business model to pop up. In 2013, when Tesla introduced its first Supercharging station, I told my friends and family that I thought Tesla was only in the Supercharger business for the short-term, until someone found the right mix of marketing and pricing to make it work. Up until then, EV charging was bi-modal -- either it was free, done as an experiment, or they wanted $0.35 per minute to charge at 30A.

I still believe the energy companies stand to be winners here - but one thing works against them, and that's regulation. Unlike other companies, energy companies are saddled with significant regulatory pressures that make it difficult for them to go after that business.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
CCS users seem angry that supercharger network is vastly superior but can’t admit it. Is this the new Chevy ford dick size contest?

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
"Price gouging" is a bit far fetched. If your ICE vehicle gets 25mpg, with gas at $4.68/gal (current national average) it costs you just shy of $0.19/mile. Even with a Lightning getting 2mi/kwh, $0.32/kwh is still cheaper than gas - and that's a price you only pay if you're charging away from home, and for one of the least efficient EVs available. I won't make a $/mile comparison for the Raptor as we know how that story ends..
Lets think about this a bit more. Even in the gas station world 90% of refueling is by locals even in rural areas by highways. The long distance, out of town types just piggyback on what the locals build and provide. You think the locals will pay so you can have a charger in your preferred location, don't think so...

Why gas in my down town is $5+. So absolutely no one get gas there. The stations don't expand and in fact have shut down till one station remains. This is exactly what will happen in a capitalistic society of free choice. You over charge and you will become niche and go out of business. I think this is the TSLA bias that profitability doesn't matter so much. Uncle Musk expands his network because he can convince his shareholders he is still a growth company and pump up the stock. There is no profit in the charge network, never will be. He is certainly not doing it for his victims, sorry car test pilots....

In the medium term almost all charging at DCFC will be from locals who need a quick boost, live in apartments, hotels, etc, house wiring questionable, etc. Esp. in rural areas, still 1/3 of America and unlikely to upgrade electric service DCFC will be the way to charge up. The charge networks will need to depend on volume to break even. Even gas stations don't really make money on gas. They make money on the snacks you buy.

True lots of charging is done at home, but if it is cheaper at a DCFC that's what I will do. I certainly have no interest in over paying for some privileged location. The majority of folks who live on a budget and count their dollars will no charge at some over priced network either.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Gas station model doesn't compare since you can't fill at home. People in apartments aren't buying EVs yet unless they are die hards. Charging in a remote place isn't a "privileged location," it's just the only option when passing through. Most people still charge at home so DCFC prices are irrelevant. If I were a local I'd welcome a DCFC at any price so people can actually stop and contribute to the economy.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
I mean 🤦‍♀️.

You have to keep a little perspective. In the whole of 2012, about 130 000 electric cars were sold worldwide. Today, that many are sold in the space of a single week.
In 2019, 2.2 million electric cars 1 were sold, representing just 2.5% of global car sales. In 2020, the overall car market contracted but electric car sales bucked the trend, rising to 3 million and representing 4.1% of total car sales. In 2021, electric car sales more than doubled to 6.6 million, representing close to 9% of the global car market and more than tripling their market share from two years earlier. All the net growth in global car sales in 2021 came from electric cars.

This is incredible growth we can agree.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I mean 🤦‍♀️.

I live in rural country in southern Illinois. I see far more Teslas than I see of any other model EV, by a rate of 20:1, and they're not rare - I see at least 5-10 a day. I agree that the Leafs had Tesla cornered for volume until Model 3 & Y came out, then they started appearing everywhere here.

And of the owners I know, they're certainly not part of a Tesla cult. Having a decent-looking car at $0.03 per mile fuel cost and the availability of the Supercharger network is what they cite as the reason they went that way. They don't care about hate or love for Elon, but the product just works for them. These aren't rich folk. They're average, middle-class Americans who drive to work everyday.

Rather than feelings about Tesla or Elon, take a look at the surveys that ask why people buy them. 99% of Tesla buyers couldn't give two bits about Elon or his politics or his Twitter or whatever. They enjoy the car, it's at a reasonable price, and fuel cost is a hell of a lot cheaper.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I live in rural country in southern Illinois. I see far more Teslas than I see of any other model EV, by a rate of 20:1, and they're not rare - I see at least 5-10 a day. I agree that the Leafs had Tesla cornered for volume until Model 3 & Y came out, then they started appearing everywhere here.

And of the owners I know, they're certainly not part of a Tesla cult. Having a decent-looking car at $0.03 per mile fuel cost and the availability of the Supercharger network is what they cite as the reason they went that way. They don't care about hate or love for Elon, but the product just works for them. These aren't rich folk. They're average, middle-class Americans who drive to work everyday.

Rather than feelings about Tesla or Elon, take a look at the surveys that ask why people buy them. 99% of Tesla buyers couldn't give two bits about Elon or his politics or his Twitter or whatever. They enjoy the car, it's at a reasonable price, and fuel cost is a hell of a lot cheaper.
You nailed it.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Currently every EV driver has to be careful on any sort of long distance travel. Tesla may still have better percentage of working chargers. The DC fast charging network for the rest is a crap shoot. I've pulled into EA stations where it says 8 are available and not one works. I've tried calling EA reps and while polite and nice can't really fix what is wrong miles away to let users charge.

Tesla and other EV makers did get a bonus of sorts on the tax issue but really it was for rich people who already had that much to pay.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
While we are talking about Tesla Superchargers opening up to non Tesla vehicles, here comes GM and Flying J/Pilot stations collaborating with EV GO to introduce fast charging across their entire network of fueling stations. We gonna have to wait though until 2025. GM and EV GO are feeling the pressure. They been living under big rocks? Ironic it seems. About a year ago Flying J/Pilot stations had an agreement with ChargePoint to provide CCS stations in select stations across North America. It seems it didn't work out or the competition is heating up. GM and 2025 completion date. Must coincide with the release of the Silverado EV. Ironic also is that during the Trump administration GM agreed to stick to their ICE policies to be on Trump's graces. Hard to believe how this is going to play out. I am not holding my breath. I am waiting to see the first station. Maybe I use the stations to pull through a station while pulling my camper. Let us see how true all this will become.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
There are going to be so many CCS chargers within two years because of NEVI, Tesla Superchargers will be irrelevant.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
While we are talking about Tesla Superchargers opening up to non Tesla vehicles, here comes GM and Flying J/Pilot stations collaborating with EV GO to introduce fast charging across their entire network of fueling stations. We gonna have to wait though until 2025. GM and EV GO are feeling the pressure. They been living under big rocks? Ironic it seems. About a year ago Flying J/Pilot stations had an agreement with ChargePoint to provide CCS stations in select stations across North America. It seems it didn't work out or the competition is heating up. GM and 2025 completion date. Must coincide with the release of the Silverado EV. Ironic also is that during the Trump administration GM agreed to stick to their ICE policies to be on Trump's graces. Hard to believe how this is going to play out. I am not holding my breath. I am waiting to see the first station. Maybe I use the stations to pull through a station while pulling my camper. Let us see how true all this will become.
This is being covered in another thread. The GM/pilot/EvGo nerwork is said to be fast tracked for development. Thats probably because all the site selections are done and permitting is fairly easy.

The first wave is supposed to be done by the end of 2023.

I don't necessarily trust GM either..but this seems legit

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt