• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla wall charger + Lectron 48A adapter not working post updates?

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
I have had this 48a compatible adapter connected to my Tesla wall charger to charge up my truck for nearly a year. Works absolutely perfect until an update to my Truck 3-4 weeks ago. Now my truck stops charging... and the Tesla wall charger seems to run hot (goes into overheat mode) after running for an hour or so. Tesla charger works 100% fine for the wife car... runs at full 48A charging rate with no issues at all.

Something definitely changed in the Lighting software. Trying to figure this out. The cable running hot, and eventually triggering "overheat" mode makes me think the truck is trying to pull more than 48a (60a breaker)? Is this a setting somewhere to set in the truck for home charging speed?

Truck works fine at Electrify America fast charger... just having issues at home now for some reason. Anyone else experienced this?

Lectron Charger adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09DCTJCTV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored

OP
OP

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
I have the Gen3 Tesla Wall Charger... Maxes out at 60amp (48amp to vehicle). All the settings are in the software when commissioning the charger... today it is set to 48amp.

Eric22

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning lariat extended range
You may be using the wrong adaptor I'm no electrician but have seen youtube videos from ev dave showing that you need a higher rated adaptor. There is a store called Tesla tap which sells one specifically for the lightning it is pretty expensive hence I have not purchased it yet I did see that Tesla tap gave a discount of 10 percent here at one point but nothing since that time. Maybe someone can reach out to him on this forum and see if he'd give us that discount again.

OP
OP

joesrepsol

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Engineer
Been working for 10 months like clockwork... until recent updates. It's also really hot in Sacramento, CA right now... but the same charger fills up the Tesla (@ 48amp) no issues. I plug it into my truck, and it is now overheating... Interesting. Just sent an email to Lectron to see if I can get a replacement adapter. I'll keep you all in the loop.

Sponsored

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
Certain versions of the HPWC Gen 3 have had overheating issues if you want to check with Tesla if yours is affected. The extra cable resistance added by the adapter paired with recent higher ambient temperatures just might be enough for your truck to have issues. Also wouldn't be the first time somebody has had issues with the Lectron adapter subject to regular use. A guy on the Rivian forums claims his failed and fried his charge port. I'd either derate to 40A or get a Tesla Tap if you're going to keep using the NACS wall charger.

If you're curious you can view compare charge history by pinging the IP of your charger and see how different the temperatures are between the Ford and Tesla. <your IP address>/api/1/vitals

Still an open thread on the issues here:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-wall-connector-gen3-overheating-fix.197220/page-24

Last edited:

Eric22

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning lariat extended range
I agree with boggle Tesla tap is the way to go. I wouldn't chance frying my charge port with a lower rated amp. I believe the Tesla tap is rated at 100amps. I want one bad but 319 plus shipping is to much for me right now. Funny how that sounds after buying an $88000 truck;) . I called the gentlemen over at Tesla tap last week he said if I ordered in bulk of 10 he'd give a discount.

emmelj

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2018 Tesla M3
I have had this 48a compatible adapter connected to my Tesla wall charger to charge up my truck for nearly a year. Works absolutely perfect until an update to my Truck 3-4 weeks ago. Now my truck stops charging... and the Tesla wall charger seems to run hot (goes into overheat mode) after running for an hour or so. Tesla charger works 100% fine for the wife car... runs at full 48A charging rate with no issues at all.

Something definitely changed in the Lighting software. Trying to figure this out. The cable running hot, and eventually triggering "overheat" mode makes me think the truck is trying to pull more than 48a (60a breaker)? Is this a setting somewhere to set in the truck for home charging speed?

Truck works fine at Electrify America fast charger... just having issues at home now for some reason. Anyone else experienced this?

Lectron Charger adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09DCTJCTV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Had the same exact issue. I have a Tesla wall charger and was using Lectron adapter. Worked for about 1 year. Started overheating when charging my truck and work just fine while charging Model 3. Tesla saw the overheating of the handle via their support team. They sent a replacement wall charger. Unfortunately, that wasn't the problem. Ordered a new Tesla Tap Lightning adapter. Problem was fixed. Got with Lectron and they sent me a replacement. Didn't try the new one, just sold it. Haven't had any overheating since the adapter change.

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
Overall I don't recommend regular charging using an adapter.
That said, I'm betting the issue is the Lectron adapter; try a TeslaTap Mini instead.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have the same setup (Tesla WC Gen3 + Lectron 48A Adapter) and similar problem: charges at 11kW for a couple of hours, then throttles down to 4kW and red LED flashes on the Tesla WC. The Tesla WC is under roof, while the truck is sitting in direct sunlight. The spec of the Lectron adapter claims max operating temperature of 122deg; in bright sunlight (and ambient temperatures over the asphalt reaching 106deg here in FL!). My theory: the charging cord and Lectron adapter are crossing the 122deg limit (confirmed by infrared thermometer), at which point some safety measure in the Lectron detects overtemp and reduces the current flow. Removing the Lectron adapter and placing it in a freezer for a short time makes it work again, until normal charging current and intense sunshine again elevate the adapter temperature above 122deg. When I charge inside garage, I don’t have the problem- it’s only when charging out in the hot sun over radiant asphalt. I also have an 80A Shockflo adapter (with only a slightly higher max operating temperature spec) and when it heats above its spec, it also throttles down the current. I don’t think it’s the Lightning, or the Tesla WC (charges our Teslas at 11kW with never a reduction in power), but simply a marginally-overheated adapter when over hot asphalt. Anyone know these adapters well enough to confirm or refute?
Sponsored