• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Wall Connector + TeslaTap Mini 60A J-1772 Adapter not working

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Excellent. Wonder if your HPWC had better tolerance or something, although I'm surprised that you had the error at 80A/100A, maybe yours was a little off and mine was way way off. Mine just refused to charge anything J1772 at anything more than 24A.
I'm also wondering why the truck would "see" the incoming amps as somehow reduced. I think your charger may be screwy. The owner of TeslaTap told me (called on a facetime chat to show me that my adapter was working fine) - which was strange because it did the same thing on both of my Level 1 chargers - in Florida the day I picked up the truck, and the next day at our Virginia place - so I assumed it HAD to be the adapter. But he pointed out that although there is a small circuit on the low voltage side of the adapter, the main leads are straight-through - if you wiggle them slightly you can see that the larger connectors are direct passthrough between the Tesla connector and the truck - which says to my non-electrician's mind that it has to be throttled back at the charger?
Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I'm also wondering why the truck would "see" the incoming amps as somehow reduced. I think your charger may be screwy. The owner of TeslaTap told me (called on a facetime chat to show me that my adapter was working fine) - which was strange because it did the same thing on both of my Level 1 chargers - in Florida the day I picked up the truck, and the next day at our Virginia place - so I assumed it HAD to be the adapter. But he pointed out that although there is a small circuit on the low voltage side of the adapter, the main leads are straight-through - if you wiggle them slightly you can see that the larger connectors are direct passthrough between the Tesla connector and the truck - which says to my non-electrician's mind that it has to be throttled back at the charger?
It's a delicate dance between EVSE and the EV. EV uses a resistor to pull a 12V pilot signal down to 9V, then EVSE offers a 1 kHz PWM signal to the vehicle advertising the charging current through the duty cycle of the PWM wave. Then, when the EV wants to charge, it pulls that signal down to 6V, the EVSE turns on, and the EV draws what it wants (presumably honoring the limit advertised by the EVSE). The EVSE can't really throttle anything because it just turns the switch on and depends upon the EV to manage its draw.

My HPWC would charge any Tesla car prior to 2018 without problems @ 72A or 80A, depending on charger configurations... But newer vehicles (including F-150 Lightning, Rivian, and the newest Tesla chargers) saw it differently. When set at 72A/90A, it should be seeing a ~93% duty cycle, but the truck saw it as 40% (24A) according to the OBD data.

I didn't break out the logic analyzer to determine why (whether it's a waveform problem or something else), only because I knew my HPWC's remaining life was going to be short as I'd replace it with the FCSP.

With that said, I don't think it was just isolated to my HPWC either - we have a 2016 Model X that received a new charger last year. It doesn't work with a number of the destination chargers that are out there. And it's a known problem with rev 1 HPWC's, to the point that Tesla replaced them pretty much on request in 2018-2019, when they started using gen 3 vehicle chargers that didn't work with previous owners' charging equipment.

Last edited:

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
My HPWC would charge any Tesla car prior to 2018 without problems @ 72A or 80A, depending on charger configurations... But newer vehicles (including F-150 Lightning, Rivian, and the newest Tesla chargers) saw it differently. When set at 72A/90A, it should be seeing a ~93% duty cycle, but the truck saw it as 40% (24A).

I didn't break out the logic analyzer to determine why (whether it's a waveform problem or something else), only because I knew my HPWC's remaining life was going to be short as I'd replace it with the FCSP.

With that said, I don't think it was just isolated to my HPWC either - we have a 2016 Model X that received a new charger last year. It doesn't work with a number of the destination chargers that are out there. And it's a known problem with rev 1 HPWC's, to the point that Tesla replaced them pretty much on request in 2018-2019, when they started using gen 3 vehicle chargers that didn't work with previous owners' charging equipment.
Interesting. My last Tesla was a 2019 Raven (September 2019) MX, had no issue charging on either of our Gen 1 chargers set to 100 amps. I just had the full SunRun/Ford bi-directional charging/backup generator system installed at our Florida place, but left the Tesla charger in place, so was forced to upgrade the service from 150 to 200 amps. That increased the quote from $9,800 to $12,500. SunRun's subcontractor just finished the job with no one there, so I can't test it, but the electrician swears I'll have 100 amps for either use.

We don't have a bill yet, and the SunRun quote was a bit fishy (I signed a contract for the initial $9,800 but not the increased site work for upgrading service) but he did send me pictures of the installation, new breakers and meter, etc. We're driving the truck back there on Sept 12, and it'll be interesting to see how the generator function works, FordPass app integration with the charger and home integration unit, etc. Probably silly money spent given that we already have the Tesla charger and it would do the job, and we've had no electrical outages of more than an hour or two in years, plus the truck is mostly not there during hurricane season. Will post updates and pics.

OP
OP

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Update on this. Talked with dave, and had my TeslaTap mini 60A swapped out for a new unit.

The new one fits much much better. After a few uses it connects just as smoothly as the ford mobile connector does. Slides all the way in and gives a nice click every time. Perhaps the pins were just a bit unaligned.

Charging on the gen3 wall connector at 48A works perfectly now. Very pleased!

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Update on this. Talked with dave, and had my TeslaTap mini 60A swapped out for a new unit.

The new one fits much much better. After a few uses it connects just as smoothly as the ford mobile connector does. Slides all the way in and gives a nice click every time. Perhaps the pins were just a bit unaligned.

Charging on the gen3 wall connector at 48A works perfectly now. Very pleased!
Is your new one the special one made for the Lightning? Or is it the standard Tesla Tap Mini? I know there was a redesign.

Sponsored
OP
OP

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Is your new one the special one made for the Lightning? Or is it the standard Tesla Tap Mini? I know there was a redesign.
It is a tesla tap mini 60A. It looks the same to me? Was unaware there was a redesign? Perhaps if they are close enough that is what I now have? Can look for markings.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
All settings except 80/100 will work on HPWC1, but as I noted just above, you won't get that. The absolute maximum I could get the truck to charge at was 24A with the 72A/90A setting, confirmed by my OBD2 monitoring.

During the 2018/2019 timeframe, Tesla was sending out HPWC2's to replace these HPWC1's because of the problems they generated, but only if you complained and the car was under warranty.
If you don't mind, can you tell us which OBD2 monitor and App?

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I use OBDLink MX+, Torque Pro on Android. There's another thread I posted on here with the details.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
All settings except 80/100 will work on HPWC1, but as I noted just above, you won't get that. The absolute maximum I could get the truck to charge at was 24A with the 72A/90A setting, confirmed by my OBD2 monitoring.
OK, more than a little late to the party on this one, but, I might have just figured out what you and I saw with these chargers at "72A".

According to the Tesla docs page there are two versions of the Gen1 HPWC. The 72A DIP switch settings for one are the settings for 24A on the other...

https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/product-guides#gen-1-wall-connector

The 64A setting on both models is the same, as is the 80A setting. Next time I'm where that lonely old Gen1 of mine lives, I will try setting it to 64A instead of "72A" and see what happens.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
OK, more than a little late to the party on this one, but, I might have just figured out what you and I saw with these chargers at "72A".

According to the Tesla docs page there are two versions of the Gen1 HPWC. The 72A DIP switch settings for one are the settings for 24A on the other...

The 64A setting on both models is the same, as is the 80A setting. Next time I'm where that lonely old Gen1 of mine lives, I will try setting it to 64A instead of "72A" and see what happens.
And that's why you should always have a file drawer of all your manuals!

Fascinating catch/discovery about DIP switch settings between the two different V1 Tesla HPWC versions.

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I tried every setting possible and it was with my original manual. The PWM signal was incompatible, and the maximum that the truck would charge at ANY setting was 24A.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I tried every setting possible and it was with my original manual. The PWM signal was incompatible, and the maximum that the truck would charge at ANY setting was 24A.
Welcome back….you’ve been missed! 😀
Sponsored