• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Wall Connector + TeslaTap Mini 60A J-1772 Adapter not working

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Just picked up the truck - amazing!

However I quickly discovered that the teslatap adapter connected to the Tesla wall connector is not working :/.

60 AMP MINI J-1772 adapter

It does not seem to fit snugly enough. I need to apply pressure to allow it to charge. If I release the pressure it slides back a bit and disconnects.

Using the mobile connector for now does work as expected. Will see what they suggest and return if there is no solution.

Anyone else run into similar issues ?

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=146
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Just picked up the truck - amazing!

However I quickly discovered that the teslatap adapter connected to the Tesla wall connector is not working :/.

60 AMP MINI J-1772 adapter

It does not seem to fit snugly enough. I need to apply pressure to allow it to charge. If I release the pressure it slides back a bit and disconnects.

Using the mobile connector for now does work as expected. Will see what they suggest and return if there is no solution.

Anyone else run into similar issues ?

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=146
Which connection doesn't fit snugly. Between teslatap and the truck or between teslatap and the charger?

FWIW, my teslatap mini 80A works fine with destination chargers. Have you tried to see if it works with one of those?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Make sure you push the TeslaTap onto the charger and wait 30 seconds, then plug in.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I will test next time I charge. I ordered an 80 full size and 80 mini a few months back, the company accidentally sent me a 80 mini and a 60 mini instead. I've been using my 80 mini with a wall connector (gen 3) no problem.

Hopefully the 60 mini works, I didn't do an exchange for the full size 80, because I was told there wouldn't be any issues using it for daily charging. Your experience seems to contradic this statement.

OP
OP

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Which connection doesn't fit snugly. Between teslatap and the truck or between teslatap and the charger?

FWIW, my teslatap mini 80A works fine with destination chargers. Have you tried to see if it works with one of those?
Wall Connector to the teslaTap is a solid connection. I do wait the 30 seconds (its normally good to go after ~5 seconds or so). It is the connection from the TeslaTap adapter to the Truck. It does not seem to go in all the way or seat or click like the Ford mobile charger does.

Make sure you push the TeslaTap onto the charger and wait 30 seconds, then plug in.
Yeap doing that. As long as I apply pressure pushing/holding the TeslaTap connector into the vehicle, then it turns greens and starts juicing. But if I let go, it falls back/out just enough to stop the change. Sounds like it may just be a defective adapter (pin alignment?)

I will test next time I charge. I ordered an 80 full size and 80 mini a few months back, the company accidentally sent me a 80 mini and a 60 mini instead. I've been using my 80 mini with a wall connector (gen 3) no problem.

Hopefully the 60 mini works, I didn't do an exchange for the full size 80, because I was told there wouldn't be any issues using it for daily charging. Your experience seems to contradic this statement.
The 60A TeslaTap (on a 32A set Wall connector) does indeed work, as long as I hold the adapter tight against the vehicle. Sounds like its just a fluke with the adapter I received.

Good to hear that it does work for other folks!

I have the XLT SR, so the plan has been to charge the F150L @ 48A using the Wall connector on a 60A breaker + TeslaTap 60A adapter.

Sponsored

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant

I have the full size 80a and it works great on the ID.4. Solid fitment. Maybe they can deliver my 5/30 build week truck sometime soon so I can test it there too lol

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Wall Connector to the teslaTap is a solid connection. I do wait the 30 seconds (its normally good to go after ~5 seconds or so). It is the connection from the TeslaTap adapter to the Truck. It does not seem to go in all the way or seat or click like the Ford mobile charger does.
If it doesn't click and other J1772 chargers do, you must have a defective adapter. Iy definitely supposed to click.

OP
OP

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
If it doesn't click and other J1772 chargers do, you must have a defective adapter. Iy definitely supposed to click.
Thanks. That was my understanding as well. Will try to have it swapped out. Def fits every differently than the ford mobile plug does.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Good luck, seems you may have found it. My initial TeslaTap was defective and had to be swapped as well ("burned-out bypass circuit" was the analysis). Let us know how it goes! My TeslaTap seats well and properly clicks in place.

For future visitors of this thread - many first-gen HPWC's (the ones without the cord storage on the right side) set to 80A will give an error on the truck, and other settings charge VERY slow due to an incompatibility with Tesla's initial hardware.

Last edited:

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I just got my TeslaTap mini to work today with my Gen 1 HPWC - it had been giving me a red blinking light, on the Tesla charger and the truck did not see it. After returning it to TeslaTap and they found it okay, the recommendation was to dial back the Tesla charger's dip switches from 100 AMP to 60 amp, which is what did the trick - now charging fine. Gen 2 Tesla chargers have a dial to set the breaker amps, and Gen 3 are set with an app. I do have a 100 amp breaker and #3 wire, never had an issue charging my Teslas, am a bit disappointed in losing some charging speed, but 60 AMPs isn;t to shabby - and the charger is more than 10 years old, so I can't complain.

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I just got my TeslaTap mini to work today with my Gen 1 HPWC - it had been giving me a red blinking light, on the Tesla charger and the truck did not see it. After returning it to TeslaTap and they found it okay, the recommendation was to dial back the Tesla charger's dip switches from 100 AMP to 60 amp, which is what did the trick - now charging fine. Gen 2 Tesla chargers have a dial to set the breaker amps, and Gen 3 are set with an app. I do have a 100 amp breaker and #3 wire, never had an issue charging my Teslas, am a bit disappointed in losing some charging speed, but 60 AMPs isn;t to shabby - and the charger is more than 10 years old, so I can't complain.
See if it will work at 80 A.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You're not getting 48A/60A. The truck will only see that as 18A or so.

When I used my HPWC1 with my TeslaTap, I had the same problem (red light at the 80A/100A setting). I reduced the DIP switches to 72A charging / 90A breaker, but the truck only charged at 24A. At the 64A/80A setting, it only charged at 21 or so.

Of course, with the F-150 not showing you the charging current, you won't see this - but if you look at the "time to reach charge", you'll see it's crazy long. My friend's Rivian confirmed it too.

The good news? It'll charge. The bad news? It's worse than using Ford's mobile adapter.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See if it will work at 80 A.
All settings except 80/100 will work on HPWC1, but as I noted just above, you won't get that. The absolute maximum I could get the truck to charge at was 24A with the 72A/90A setting, confirmed by my OBD2 monitoring.

During the 2018/2019 timeframe, Tesla was sending out HPWC2's to replace these HPWC1's because of the problems they generated, but only if you complained and the car was under warranty.

Last edited:

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
You're not getting 48A/60A. The truck will only see that as 18A or so.

When I used my HPWC1 with my TeslaTap, I had the same problem (red light at the 80A/100A setting). I reduced the DIP switches to 72A charging / 90A breaker, but the truck only charged at 24A. At the 64A/80A setting, it only charged at 21 or so.

Of course, with the F-150 not showing you the charging current, you won't see this - but if you look at the "time to reach charge", you'll see it's crazy long. My friend's Rivian confirmed it too.

The good news? It'll charge. The bad news? It's worse than using Ford's mobile adapter.
Not so, I was pleasantly surprised because you had told me that previously. I also have a 14-50 outlet and had been charging using the Ford mobile adapter, which took 12 hours to 90% from 10%. But today I got the TeslaTap Mini back, reset the dip switches to 60 amps, and plugged in at about 30% (91 miles indicated range) and the truck said that it would complete charging in 5 hours to 90%, or about 36 miles per hour. I plugged it in about 4 PM, and I'm not sure when it finished, but it's 10:06 right now, and is done. Tomorrow I am going to reset it one level up, to 70 amp breaker, and see what it does. Here are the Gen 1 dip switch settings. I'm going to increase the amps until it fails, then dial back one.

Interestingly, Tesla has just reduced the price of the Gen 3 wall charger with 24-ft cord to $400, making it one of the great charging bargains. https://shop.tesla.com/product/wall-connector

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Wall Connector + TeslaTap Mini 60A J-1772 Adapter not working Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 10.13.51 PM

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not so, I was pleasantly surprised because you had told me that previously. I also have a 14-50 outlet and had been charging using the Ford mobile adapter, which took 12 hours to 90% from 10%. But today I got the TeslaTap Mini back, reset the dip switches to 60 amps, and plugged in at about 30% (91 miles indicated range) and the truck said that it would complete charging in 5 hours to 90%, or about 36 miles per hour. I plugged it in about 4 PM, and I'm not sure when it finished, but it's 10:06 right now, and is done. Tomorrow I am going to reset it one level up, to 70 amp breaker, and see what it does. Here are the Gen 1 dip switch settings. I'm going to increase the amps until it fails, then dial back one.

Interestingly, Tesla has just reduced the price of the Gen 3 wall charger with 24-ft cord to $400, making it one of the great charging bargains. https://shop.tesla.com/product/wall-connector

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 10.13.51 PM.png
Excellent. Wonder if your HPWC had better tolerance or something, although I'm surprised that you had the error at 80A/100A, maybe yours was a little off and mine was way way off. Mine just refused to charge anything J1772 at anything more than 24A.
Sponsored