• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Wall Connector for Lightning / Mach-E

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
This was my original intention, but two things make it impossible.
1) The J1772 model is a gen 2, which cannot daisy chain with my current gen 3.
2) I don't think they sell it anymore?
The website says it is a Gen 3. Check with Dave; he responds quickly (and has a Platinum Lightning on order).

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I think you're on the right track by getting a Tesla connector. It should have better resale than the J1772 option should you ever decide to sell it, and the separate TeslaTap adapter will come in handy outside of the garage. A hardwired J1772 Tesla HPWC is a one-trick pony that you can't take with you.

cs13368

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla M3, other non EV
Tesla just reduced the price or their wall connector by $50, back to $499. I am thinking to change my Lightning, I'll pick up another one of these for the opposite side of my garage. Installing my first wall connector was very easy and it has worked very well, it seems like a good solution for the price. Also, I can then plug in either vehicle on both sides of the garage. Two questions I have though:

1) Has anyone used a Telsa wall connector to charge a Mach-E? I'd love to hear at least one positive story of a Ford vehicle successfully charging on a wall connector.

2) For anyone who has successfully charged a Mach-E with a wall connector, what adaptor are you using? There are a few out there, I would rather pick up one that is known to work well.
Yes, Mach-E charge fine with TeslaTaps.
Always go with a USA made TeslaTap rather than an import.
UMC-J1772 Store

cs13368

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This was my original intention, but two things make it impossible.
1) The J1772 model is a gen 2, which cannot daisy chain with my current gen 3.
2) I don't think they sell it anymore?
They are a Tesla Gen3 converted to J1772.

Sponsored
OP
OP

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Yes, Mach-E charge fine with TeslaTaps.
Always go with a USA made TeslaTap rather than an import.
UMC-J1772 Store
I had my second Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector installed last week. I did daisy chain it with the first one already installed and I have a 60 Amp TeslaTap Mini in hand for when the Lightning arrives. I plugged my Tesla into both chargers, it was getting 48 Amps from either unit, which seems like a good sign. Unfortunately I don't have a second EV to plug in now to ensure the load sharing is working, I'll know in Aug/Sept/Oct when my Lightning arrives. Fingers are crossed until then.

cs13368

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had my second Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector installed last week. I did daisy chain it with the first one already installed and I have a 60 Amp TeslaTap Mini in hand for when the Lightning arrives. I plugged my Tesla into both chargers, it was getting 48 Amps from either unit, which seems like a good sign. Unfortunately I don't have a second EV to plug in now to ensure the load sharing is working, I'll know in Aug/Sept/Oct when my Lightning arrives. Fingers are crossed until then.
The TeslaTap does not change the duty cycle from the wall connector in any way. Ig load sharing works for Tesla's it should work for any EV as long as the EV accepts the duty cycle that the EVSE it putting out.

OP
OP

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
My Lightning came in and my daisy chained Gen 3 Wall Connectors are working without any issue. I've had both vehicles charging separately and simultaneously and in all scenarios everything works perfectly. I've only used the 80 AMP Tesla Tap Mini so far, but I'm going to switch to the 60 AMP going forward and keeping my 80 AMP in the truck for destination charging.

For anyone that already owns a Tesla and has a Wall Connector installed, especially if you don't have another circuit available, daisy chaining seems to be a great solution.
Sponsored