• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
This is one of the tests I've been most anticipating.

The lightning got 0.5 mi/kwh with nearly 10,000 pound load on the upslope.

I think the Rivian got about 0.37 mi/kwh with a 7000 pound load on the upslope when they tested it (16% of a 135 kwh battery over 8 miles). Keep in mind that the Rivian test was done in the winter.

Edit: @p52Ranch caught this discrepancy in the reported efficiency:

Even though the gauge display on the Lightning showed 0.5 Miles per KWh on the uphill test, the actual was about 0.38 miles per KWh. Using TFL's beginning and ending SoC (69% minus 53% resulting in a 16% delta. That converts to 21 KWh used (0.16 times 131). Divide 8 miles by 21 KWh that gives 0.38 miles per KWh.​

Sponsored

Last edited:

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Lightning regen was way better at 6% of 131kWh gained than Rivian on way down as well, which might translate into real world driving regen impact comparison between the two.

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
Zero brake applications. It held about 50 mph the whole way down.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
that was quite the 'quiet' comparison - 'screaming' for 8 minutes versus 'quiet pleasure' for 8 minutes..... nice : )

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
which might translate into real world driving regen impact comparison between the two.
A "bonus", but no real world impact when towing a trailer... :)

That's about 8 miles at most while towing. If you unhooked your trailer at the bottom, you'd get 16 miles. So, either way, not a real world impact.

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
A "bonus", but no real world impact when towing a trailer... :)

That's about 8 miles at most while towing. If you unhooked your trailer at the bottom, you'd get 16 miles. So, either way, not a real world impact.
Percentage of energy that makes it back into the pack during regen is a real world differentiation, independent of towing. This tow test just amplifies the delta.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
It’s a real world difference when you’re 7 miles from a charger. I’m not sure what criteria you think constitutes a “real world difference” but if your total range is 100 miles then 8 miles is pretty meaningful.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
Even though the gauge display on the Lightning showed 0.5 Miles per KWh on the uphill test, the actual was about 0.38 miles per KWh. Using TFL's beginning and ending SoC (69% minus 53% resulting in a 16% delta. That converts to 21 KWh used (0.16 times 131). Divide 8 miles by 21 KWh that gives 0.38 miles per KWh.

OP
OP
vandy1981

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Even though the gauge display on the Lightning showed 0.5 Miles per KWh on the uphill test, the actual was about 0.38 miles per KWh. Using TFL's beginning and ending SoC (69% minus 53% resulting in a 16% delta. That converts to 21 KWh used (0.16 times 131). Divide 8 miles by 21 KWh that gives 0.38 miles per KWh.
So pretty much equal to the Rivian. I wonder why the tripmeter and SoC don't match up. Maybe the trip meter only includes energy used for traction?

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
So pretty much equal to the Rivian. I wonder why the tripmeter and SoC don't match up. Maybe the trip meter only includes energy used for traction?
The 0.5 Miles per KWh instead of 0.4 miles per KWh could be due to an algorithm that tries to keep the actual computation from extremes like zero and infinity. After all it is only 8 minutes/miles of trip data into the truck.

They had a similar incongruous display on the downhill trip meter. On the downhill portion of the test the trip meter was showing something like 12.7 miles per KWh even though they added something like 8 KWh back into the battery. Andre and Tommy kept wondering why it wasn't showing something like 99 miles per KWh.

Sponsored

webspoke

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning! F450, GT500
Zero brake applications. It held about 50 mph the whole way down.
This is a big deal in driver stress, only the best HD trucks can come close to that. Great test to watch, really makes me excited for using the truck outside of commuting. We have 7-10k horse, car (enclosed) and utility trailers that we use close to home (within 50-75mi), this test gives me confidence it can easily handle those.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
This is a big deal in driver stress, only the best HD trucks can come close to that. Great test to watch, really makes me excited for using the truck outside of commuting. We have 7-10k horse, car (enclosed) and utility trailers that we use close to home (within 50-75mi), this test gives me confidence it can easily handle those.
I'll second this - going down mountains in our Teslas is far, FAR less stressful than going down in an ICE car. It's a great feeling when you need to keep your foot on the accelerator to go DOWN hills, or you'll stop. Makes regulating speed a breeze.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
With it gaining 7% on the way down and using 16% on the way up, it’s only about a net of 9% loss. That means they could make the loop 11 times on a full charge, which means it’s got about 175-180 miles of range through the Ike loop.

i was impressed that the battery/motor temp didn’t go up at all during the test.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I'll second this - going down mountains in our Teslas is far, FAR less stressful than going down in an ICE car. It's a great feeling when you need to keep your foot on the accelerator to go DOWN hills, or you'll stop. Makes regulating speed a breeze.
I didn’t even realize my Tesla has a brake pedal.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Interesting observation: Questions I’m now interested in being answered:

1. Does the dash gauge base its reading off of the total available batt power (131 minus any safety margin) or is it calculated off the manufacture spec of 131 kWh? To get .5 mi./kWh per the dash gauge, that would mean that only 100 kWh of available battery capacity🤔.
2. Does the gauge reading round up or down?
3. Is the dash gauge instantaneous or an average, to include any regen?

I’m really looking forward to a deeper dive into the performance of the battery management system, charging speed and usable/available capacity……
Sponsored