• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Commodore

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, XLT Lightning
Occupation
Pharmacist
I said this in another thread.

This truck reminds me of my 2007 GMC Sierra when it was new.

That's a work truck, but really cool for a work truck.

jaykoolzboy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai Ioniq&Kona, Honda FCV
Occupation
IT Consultant
Disappointment would be an understatement here.

WT truck (with literally nothing) is @ 80K , just give me the Hummer EV if those are the price GM is asking.

Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Disappointment would be an understatement here.

WT truck (with literally nothing) is @ 80K , just give me the Hummer EV if those are the price GM is asking.

The 4WT is $77k, but you get a 450 mile range truck with a 200+ kWh battery.

Given that the Lightning Pro ER is $76k but only offers 320 miles of range with a 131 kWh battery, the Silverado is still competitive with price/specs. I think the big test is whether the shorter range base Silverados will be available for less than the $59k Lightning pro starting price.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Do people really pay $80k for a work truck?
Well, er.. I mean... My Lariat ER is my work truck. It's my mobile office and daily driver and... But no, in traditional "work truck" sense, that's still a $50K (or hopefully less) F 250 or 350 diesel in XL, maybe XLT trim.

We'll see how this goes. The Silverado/Sierra BEV trucks do have the extra range vs. the Lightning and the mid-gate is handy for some people. It's also a much heavier and less efficient truck as it has to drag that fat-ass battery around. It's the same thing we're seeing with the Hummer EV truck... It's fitting being a hummer because it's over the top heavy and less efficient than an ICE equivalent and all that. IMO the Hummer EV truck really misses the mark in a lot of ways. And yet, the Hummer EV SUV far more compelling as it has a more practical wheelbase, actually carries a spare tire, handles much better on and off road...

I think Ford's T3 platform truck is going to be much better than what GM is bringing to the market. I'd like the extra battery capacity and range for sure, just gives me more flexibility for towing and camping and a bit less range anxiety in cold weather. But in reality, my daily driving doesn't need it and I like my Lightning more than what I'm seeing with the e-Silverado. I've owned and used a lot of trucks over the years for personal and work and sure there are occasional duds for various engines or model years, regardless of brand, I feel that Ford just makes a better truck.

Commodore

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, XLT Lightning
Occupation
Pharmacist
I like the 500 lb weight savings from the Ford's all-aluminum body.

The Silverado currently being tested is over 2000 pounds heaver than the ER Lightning.

Rather the extra weight to be batteries!

...But 2000 extra pounds for 100 extra miles of range in not a great deal!

Last edited:

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Anyone know what the big generator costs that is normally hauled to a worksite on a trailer?

How much would you save if you a avoided buying one of those by purchasing a 4WT?

I ask this because with an EV truck capable of 240V -30A output, I can effectively skip purchasing $35K worth of batteries for my house where I am installing solar panels.

To me this 4WT at $80K is really a $45K truck with a $35K battery.

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
I like the 500 lb weight savings from the Ford's all-aluminum body.

The Silverado currently being tested is over 2000 pounds heaver than the ER Lightning.

Rather the extra weight to be batteries!

...But 2000 extra pounds for 100 extra miles of range in not a great deal!
Napkin estimation suggests that the extra weight and battery size isn’t massively disproportionate from where the F150L would be with a 450 mile range.

My feelings:
For the WT to have doubled in price and have that interior… That’s inexcusable.

Sponsored

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
at least it should actually get 300 miles at freeway speed. On 1st road trip in my Lightning ER, and only getting ~ 240 miles range, tops

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Anyone know what the big generator costs that is normally hauled to a worksite on a trailer?

How much would you save if you a avoided buying one of those by purchasing a 4WT?

I ask this because with an EV truck capable of 240V -30A output, I can effectively skip purchasing $35K worth of batteries for my house where I am installing solar panels.

To me this 4WT at $80K is really a $45K truck with a $35K battery.
Are you talking the portable generators you wheel around on a worksite? A 10,000 watt gas generator with a 240 plug is around $1000. Anybody who tries to justify a $60,000+ new EV truck just to save the cost of a generator is doing mental gymnastics. It’s definitely a convenient feature to have if you are shopping for a worksite truck anyways, and can add the feature to the truck order.

The more compelling use is for the home backup like you mentioned. If I wanted to add a battery backup to my solar to run everything overnight, I’d probably need about $40,000-60,000 worth of Enphase IQ/Powerwall batteries. The Lightning has the capacity of 10 or 13 batteries, so it could stand in for $100,000+ worth of home backup batteries. I’m definitely going to look at the Enphase bidirectional EV charger when it comes out in order to integrate it with my existing Enphase solar array.

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Are you talking the portable generators you wheel around on a worksite? A 10,000 watt gas generator with a 240 plug is around $1000. Anybody who tries to justify a $60,000+ new EV truck just to save the cost of a generator is doing mental gymnastics. It’s definitely a convenient feature to have if you are shopping for a worksite truck anyways, and can add the feature to the truck order.

The more compelling use is for the home backup like you mentioned. If I wanted to add a battery backup to my solar to run everything overnight, I’d probably need about $40,000-60,000 worth of Enphase IQ/Powerwall batteries. The Lightning has the capacity of 10 or 13 batteries, so it could stand in for $100,000+ worth of home backup batteries. I’m definitely going to look at the Enphase bidirectional EV charger when it comes out in order to integrate it with my existing Enphase solar array.
No. This class of device:

https://www.generacmobileproducts.com/products/generators/products/mmg45if4-diesel-generator

I also am waiting for the Enphase gateway. I signed up to be a test site.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
The range is the only draw.... The interior is very 1980's squared off plastic Chevy crap. They really cheaped out and shoved a massive battery in it. The manual frunk is laughing with a jack loosely tossed in it. The real question is can Chevy actually produces meaningful numbers to the masses??? Nope unless you have 100k or a fleet account I don't understand why they OEMs feel the need to push out 100k vehicles that people can't afford because the price tag let alone the current interest rates.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
The wt that was shown is a fleet only trim. There will be a retail version as well that I can only imagine will have a different interior at that price point.

I have a feeling that the reason we are seeing these $80k fleet trucks is not because of the small business work trucks, or even the midsize fleet operators. It's the larger government fleets. City and State governments are being mandated to purchase EVs so they have to replace ice trucks with Bev ones and they have no choice but to pay Ford/Chevy whatever the cost.
I know Ford originally said the lightning overall would be profitable but later on they said it wasn't. I bet that even at the prices Chevy is charging, they are producing so few that it's certainly not profitable. It really makes me wonder if they'll ever build any of their new Ultimum platform vehicles at any sort of volume or just keep chugging along at compliance levels until they have no other choice.
Sponsored