• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Silverado EV rated at 450 miles by the EPA estimate

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I get what your saying but when every competitor has it then it starts to become needed. I was just planning a trip today and it would’ve taken 6 hours in charging on route for my lightning vs only 1.5 hours on my buddies myp. Now I will concede the super charger network and efficiency makes up a good portion of the difference but didn’t change the fact that my truck turned an 11 hour drive into 17 and turning a 2 day trip into 3. If 350 chargers were available (not ford’s fault) and my truck accepted it I would drop to under 2 hours of charging for the 650 mile each way trip.
Something was very off with your route planning on the Lightning, unless you had to add a lot of miles because of charger availability. I do a ~500 mi each way trip with my Lighting every few months and it only added ~30 minutes compared to an ICE vehicle (assuming regular facility and meal stops).

Also - 350kW chargers won't speed you up that much. You would save ~15 minutes per stop. Depending on spacing you would have 3 or 4 charging stops on a 650mi drive, so max savings of 1 hour.
Sponsored

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Given my "it's not a truck, if it's unibody" tendencies, my eyes aren't wandering from my extended range Lariat anytime soon. The Lightning is perfect for my needs. There's also the matter that aside from the random rental Silverado, I'm loyal to the blue oval -- Ford makes a better truck.

For those always chasing the latest and greatest, good luck, because there's a lot of change on deck for the next decade or so.
I am on the same boat also. No need to get excited. I am sticking with my Lightning.
Here is more info to chew/digest and finally pass it out. Ford has/had done their research to introduce the Lightning. I believe that the battery sizes were of the logical size. When you have a charging network in its infancy and you have to produce thousands of these vehicles, you wonder how long it will take to charge a battery of a Lightning, and what is a reasonable wait time to do that. Ford, understood that the 350KW charging stations were a Pipe Dream in 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024. I've been taking my truck on 300 mile trips towing a camper for almost a year. It was okay to wait for 40 minutes to charge on 350KW station. The station will put out 180-190 KW for a few minutes and simmer down to 120 KW to 80%. Now, none of those stations provide anything close to that rate. I hardly get 90KW. Now my waiting times are about an hour to an hour and 15 min.
GM has partnered with EV GO and Loves truck stations to provide charging opportunities for their EV truck.
EV GO and Loves haven't done anything.
They say they will be done by 2025. In the meantime they will give GM customers a raw bitter taste in their mouths.
200+ KW battery and a truck that weighs close to 10000lbs. The Lightning weighs 8850lbs with the 145KW battery.
That will have a Silverado EV waiting to charge for 2 hours.
Another thing. All these press releases are just empty promises. I heard them before.
I am extremely skeptical. They can't produce enough Hummers right now.
Anyways, prepare for a very difficult, stressful and extremely charged situations at the charging stations.
Interesting times ahead, folks.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I think it is going to be hard to compare 1wt and 2wt to Pro and XLT. Completely different price points. XLT extended range starts at $78k and 4wt is $77-78k as well. I won’t speculate on price points of 2wt and 1wt, but given what we know I think the Silverado EV is going to crush the Lightning at the current price points (in terms of price per range and charge rates). Sure XLT may have a heated leather wrapped steering wheel and heated cloth seats, which are likely the only noticeable creature comforts XLT would have over the 4wt.
Unless Chevy goes just totally off the rails, they will have trims that basically line up the the equipment levels we see on the ice trucks today, which are pretty comparable between the big 3 truck lines. I think the wt1 to 4 will run the range from pro to lariat as far as equipment goes and then the rst & first edition being comparable (or slightly better) equipped than the platinum. Maybe I'm wrong, they haven't yet given the details of the different trims.

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1S
If Chevy doesn’t include an 80 amp on board charger it will take even longer. The hummer ev has an 48 amp on board charger and my guess is, if the Silverado EV has the same size battery pack as the hummer EV it will likely have the same charger on board. So do the math on how long it takes to charge 212 kWh at 48 Amps, it’s about 20 hours. You are only going to get around 50% charge overnight at that rate plugging in at the end of a day and starting early the next day. I think the lightning 80 amp charging with the charge station pro is underrated for sure for people who want to work these trucks and drive them extensive miles while charging at home.
The Lyriq has an option for 19.2 kW onboard charger like the Lightning, the Silverado will likely have a similar option, but at a battery that large, I would assume it will be standard.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
I'll be amazed if Chevy will sell this vehicle in bulk to consumers. If they do, Ford is in trouble. I feel like it will be impossible to come by like the Pro and equivalent RST versions with the big battery are going to cost an absurd amount.
Where can GM build the EV Silverado in volume? They barely build any Hummers and Lyriqs.

How will GM build a lot of Silverados??

Sponsored

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
My guess is they build small number to test. They cannot afford another Bolt buy back.
I hear ya.

GM has only DELIVERED 1000 Lyriqs in the last 12 months.
GMC delivered 2, count em, 2 Hummers in the first quarter of 2023.

I don't watch much TV, but I have seen ads for both....so the cost of advertising them has to be more than what they sold the vehicles for. Doesn't make much sense.

I will wait to see if they can deliver any amount of Silverado EVs. I am a bit skeptical.
Ford on the other hand should deliver a solid # of Lightnings in 2023....although I think price is going to be an issue for Ford. Also I would recommend they not build a high % of standard range Lightnings. There seems to be more demand for the Extended Range.

Last edited:

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
So from what I read only the wt will have 450 and the consumer model will be 350. The 350 kw charging is the real win here. I just went 500 miles with my truck and spent an hour charging, this would be almost half that.
As @sotek2345 already mentioned, that's not how it works. It's about the charge curve. 350 would only be hit early, for a few minutes, and if you are low %SOC. It does help, but it won't come close to halving the time.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
My guess is they build small number to test. They cannot afford another Bolt buy back.
GM is still testing with Hummer production numbers apparently it's only been a year and half 🤣 they'll figure it out I'm sure

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I hear ya.

GM has only DELIVERED 1000 Lyriqs in the last 12 months.
GMC delivered 2, count em, 2 Hummers in the first quarter of 2023.
Yeah only 1000 Lyriqs, with a lot of issues.

GM has many years of experience to make PHEVs and EVs, and they did not learn anything.