• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Silverado EV rated at 450 miles by the EPA estimate

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
The 2024 Chevy Silverado EV 3WT and 4WT – the first Silverado EV models to be built starting this spring exclusively for fleet customers – utilize a 24-module battery pack that powers a motor on the front axle and another on the rear axle. Total system output is 510 horsepower. Soon after launch, the Silverado EV WT will become available with a 20-module battery pack that will deliver a GM-estimated 350 miles of range on a full charge.
🤔 I feel like this is a super important point. If that pack isn’t available to the public it’s not a 450 mile range.

No thanks. I will stick with my diesel Suburban and it’s 700+ miles of range per 28 gallon tank.
🤦‍♂️ These people with their 675 mile daily commutes. Just think, we’ll have thousand mile capable EVs right as they start a job 1500 miles from home.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Sponsored

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
So from what I read only the wt will have 450 and the consumer model will be 350. The 350 kw charging is the real win here. I just went 500 miles with my truck and spent an hour charging, this would be almost half that.
I would love to have 350 kW charging, but for the real world time savings, I wouldn't be willing to pay too much for it. Even off you did 10 days in a year of 500 miles (I gotta think thats more than half the country would do in a year) you're talking 5 hours of time saved. If the hardware costs $1k more and the manufacture charges you $2k+ for that feature... see where I'm going?

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
I would love to have 350 kW charging, but for the real world time savings, I wouldn't be willing to pay too much for it. Even off you did 10 days in a year of 500 miles (I gotta think thats more than half the country would do in a year) you're talking 5 hours of time saved. If the hardware costs $1k more and the manufacture charges you $2k+ for that feature... see where I'm going?
I get what your saying but when every competitor has it then it starts to become needed. I was just planning a trip today and it would’ve taken 6 hours in charging on route for my lightning vs only 1.5 hours on my buddies myp. Now I will concede the super charger network and efficiency makes up a good portion of the difference but didn’t change the fact that my truck turned an 11 hour drive into 17 and turning a 2 day trip into 3. If 350 chargers were available (not ford’s fault) and my truck accepted it I would drop to under 2 hours of charging for the 650 mile each way trip.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I'll be amazed if Chevy will sell this vehicle in bulk to consumers. If they do, Ford is in trouble. I feel like it will be impossible to come by like the Pro and equivalent RST versions with the big battery are going to cost an absurd amount.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
I get what your saying but when every competitor has it then it starts to become needed. I was just planning a trip today and it would’ve taken 6 hours in charging on route for my lightning vs only 1.5 hours on my buddies myp. Now I will concede the super charger network and efficiency makes up a good portion of the difference but didn’t change the fact that my truck turned an 11 hour drive into 17 and turning a 2 day trip into 3. If 350 chargers were available (not ford’s fault) and my truck accepted it I would drop to under 2 hours of charging for the 650 mile each way trip.
To a non ev owner this is definition of range anxiety. It's not so much the miles as it is time.
A nine hour drive in my ice in an ev would be increased because I have to stop and charge.
Due to chargers not being in the right place or not existing I would have to change my route which would add another two hours and possibly another charge adding more time.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
To a non ev owner this is definition of range anxiety. It's not so much the miles as it is time.
A nine hour drive in my ice in an ev would be increased because I have to stop and charge.
Due to chargers not being in the right place or not existing I would have to change my route which would add another two hours and possibly another charge adding more time.
Each person needs to consider their own use case and situation. For me, the extra time I spend at a charging station while on my trips is less time than I would have spent fueling an ICE vehicle over the course of a year thanks to the fact that the the vast majority of time I’m not on a road trip, and charging happens while I sleep.

I‘m retired, so if charging means I have to take an extra day, it’s not a big deal. I’ve never had that happen, BTW.

Plus, anything over 500 miles or so, I usually fly anyway.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Each person needs to consider their own use case and situation. For me, the extra time I spend at a charging station while on my trips is less time than I would have spent fueling an ICE vehicle over the course of a year thanks to the fact that the the vast majority of time I’m not on a road trip, and charging happens while I sleep.

I‘m retired, so if charging means I have to take an extra day, it’s not a big deal. I’ve never had that happen, BTW.

Plus, anything over 500 miles or so, I usually fly anyway.
True, everone must consider their own situation. What works for some will not work for others.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
However, it should help ev's get adopted by the "I need 1000 miles of range everyday or I ain't buying" crowd.
Exactly why I bought the Lightning.

Ford F-150 Lightning Silverado EV rated at 450 miles by the EPA estimate tempImageqHmyDW

Let's see...8.8mi/kWh x 131 kWh = 1,152 miles of range.
I only did 12 miles to the grocery store, but seems legit right?

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
In reasonable volumes, this is a game changer.

any reason the Lighting battery bay couldn’t be fitted with such a battery?

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Like or not, 800V/350kW would be standard.

BTW, it would be a 9000lb truck. Not sure if people really like that.

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Yes, they threw a giant battery, same 212kw as the hummer I'm guessing, into their truck.

In miles per kw of advertised range that would make the Chev less efficient than the lightning by quite a bit.

However, it should help ev's get adopted by the "I need 1000 miles of range everyday or I ain't buying" crowd.

350kw charging is great! Maybe I'll get to see the max from my truck one day, the chargers are still the limiting factor here.
Efficiency: Auto makers need to figure out how to stream line their vehicle bodies, and use light weight but strong materials, like Aptera has done, and ditch the old 'square box' pickup truck design which was required when you had to have a big cross section of radiator to cool down the infernal combustion engine.

Although my 2012 Nissan Leaf has little range (100 miles on a charge if I'm lucky) it was determined to be one of the most efficient in terms of miles per kw in a recent study, probably because we drive 'conservatively' to conserve range more than say the average hot-rod Tesla driver.

I'm waiting for the price of EV pickups to come back down to earth - that 40% increase in the MSRP Ford pulled was a turn-off for me.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
They still can't make the hummer EV in decent numbers GM can't produce EV's at scale and the one they can is being cancelled in a couple months smh
They could produce at scale if they made a product people actually wanted to buy - how many wanted a hummer at all? And at that price?

But I read that gearing up for the Siverado EV is why so few Hummer EV were produced:

"...Factory ZERO in Michigan (Detroit and Hamtramck) started preparations to handle additional Ultium-based models (mainly the Chevrolet Silverado EV).

As we understand, the Chevrolet Silverado EV is a priority for General Motors right now, because it's a higher volume and higher value project. Not only that, the electric Silverado must be ready for prime time to compete with the Ford F-150 Lightning and other electric pickups..."

https://insideevs.com/news/660537/us-gmc-hummer-ev-pickup-sales-2023q1/

The big car manufacturers are living in the past as far as their business model goes seems to me, e.g., dealerships.

It is probably going to be a rough transition to full throttle EV production and distribution. Dealerships main source of profit up to now has supposedly been repairs and maintenance, which for EV's is minimal, based on my experience with my 2012 Leaf, and what I've read about other EV owner's experiences.

Time will tell.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
that's a monster size battery. about 60% larger than the Lightning ER. How long to charge? with the 80 amp FCSP the Lightning's ER 131 kwr battery takes 8 hours to go from 15% to 100%. seems like the Chevy will take 12 plus hours.
Just because you have a bigger battery doesn't mean you'll need 15%-100% very often at home if at all. From my experience I drive the same amount most days so just because the battery is bigger I still would only be adding 30-50 kwh daily. Thats why my SR is fine for everyday driving. But I would enjoy having more range for the occasional road trip but then most if not all of that big charging would be on DC fast chargers. Just my thoughts

DetroitHustle

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GMC Sierra
Occupation
Consultant
So far they have said the starting price of the 3wt &4wt which are the higher trims (other than first edition) but they haven't clarified any other details on options or packages. The 450 range number looks to be standard on the 4wt, but no mention if it will be standard on the other trims. I'm guessing with the announced price of the 3wt at only $5k less, it should have the same battery. But nothing yet on the standard or optional range or pricing for 1wt and 2wt trims (equivalent to pro and XLT).
I think it is going to be hard to compare 1wt and 2wt to Pro and XLT. Completely different price points. XLT extended range starts at $78k and 4wt is $77-78k as well. I won’t speculate on price points of 2wt and 1wt, but given what we know I think the Silverado EV is going to crush the Lightning at the current price points (in terms of price per range and charge rates). Sure XLT may have a heated leather wrapped steering wheel and heated cloth seats, which are likely the only noticeable creature comforts XLT would have over the 4wt.
Sponsored