• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
This has been mentioned before but it is so important I thought I'd call it out directly. Driving the Lightning is pretty easy if you pay attention and are sensible. Look at your miles/kWh * battery size * percent instead of the range meter ("guess-o-meter"), try to keep the truck between 10% and 90%, and charge at home if you can.

There is, however, one big trap that bit me last week and I'm glad that I read this forum to know about the solution. Not charging is one thing, holding my car hostage is a while different kettle of fish. The Electrify America charger in Eugene, OR 'hung' when it was attempting to authorize my truck. The rings turned red and I tried to cancel, but no matter what button I hit the charger stayed locked to the truck! (EA is terrible, this scenario should be impossible.) Of course I did it on the first ride I had taken my 90-year-old Mother on with the truck (my wife thought it was a good idea to show her how easy it was to charge an EV!)

Fortunately I had read the forum and knew that in the frunk was a charge release cable. It is in the front trunk, on the right side near the coolent overflow bottle. There is a nice lable with a lock to give you a hint.

Here it is:

Ford F-150 Lightning Most important Lightning secret: how to release a stuck charger cable IMG_4330

Simply gently pull the yellow tab that is attached to the cable.

This should release the lock so you can remove the charging cable. It might help to ritually curse Electrify America first. It worked quite easily, it took no force.

The one thing that I don't know is how to re-attach the yellow tab to whatever it was attached to.

Anyway, I hope that this helps
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
The one thing that I don't know is how to re-attach the yellow tab to whatever it was attached to.
In my case, it just snapped back onto the clip when I used it. Reattaching was pretty straightforward. It took a bit of a wiggle.
I also was glad I read a post on this forum on this before I needed it. ;)

OP
OP
Newton

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Ah, that is where it goes. Thanks! I was a little stressed when I pulled it out.

I wish the cars had more mechanicals, like a manual switch to enable the contactors so you could start when the 12V is dead (are you listening, Kia?) I'm often miles away from cell phone service.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
If the yellow cable lets you release the charging cable, doesn’t that mean it is Ford that took EA hostage not the other way around?

Mache_Enrique

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE GT, 2023 Lightning, 2018 Subaru WRX STI
Occupation
Finance
Thanks for posting this thread...I read it day or two after it started and it was front of mind as I had a bit of an issue Sunday with a magic dock Tesla Charger at the new Buckees in Colorado. Would not let go so I used the release, moved to a new stall and then charged.

Plug-n-charge would not work on these for me (I have the software update and it is turned on and it says Tesla with a check) but I used the Tesla app to initiate and all charged well. Funny side story...there was a very angry Tesla owner getting in the face of all the people icing the chargers (parking was a zoo...just opened). She walked up to me ready to yell at me for icing and saw I was plugging in...then walked quietly away hoping I did not see her about to rage at me. :oops:

Sponsored

Its PJ Bia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO
I had this happen, and then a few days later I saw a CSP was attached to my truck regarding reprogramming "Charge cord stuck reprogram" Campaign# 23B50. I'll be having my dealer look into it when i take it in for the 10k service.

First Name
Jansen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Snow Removal, Landscaping
Isnt the lightning such a fantastic vehicle? Mostly electronic, and old fashioned mechanical release cables for the frunk and charger port just in case!
It's a truck made electric, not an electric truck!

And it's exactly why I bought one. 😎
Sponsored