• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

NACS-to-NACS extension cable

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
yep, saw the same thing. Another line to try and get in the front of!

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I personally don't see the need, myself.

Why should I spend my money to make thier product work? Shouldn't Tesla have to make their dispenser compatible to the product they are trying to serve?

I get the adaptor. All vehicles are adopting the same standard, we just got in too early. But without a mandated standardized port location, it's their responsibility, not mine.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer

Why should I spend my money to make thier product work? Shouldn't Tesla have to make their dispenser compatible to the product they are trying to serve?

I get the adaptor. All vehicles are adopting the same standard, we just got in too early. But without a mandated standardized port location, it's their responsibility, not mine.
I agree. However, the extender does give you an option if there's only a couple of spaces available and they are all between two Teslas. You will be boxed out but with the extender you can still charge.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

You might be right, but if they dont change anything (retrofit V3 cables) what does being right get you?

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Since this a Tesla cable it could also be marketed to Tesla owners who feel they may be boxed out by non-Teslas taking every other space. ;).

Elon could sell them to Tesla owners for a discount as goodwill towards opening up the network.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
If they have a NACS to CCS cable for the same price, I probably would get that. Even though it is a little more limited in application, it may be safer (less connection points).

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'll still be charging, so wealthier, I guess.
I'm with you in that I probably wont buy it, as I assume it will be pricey. So we are in the same boat there.

However I do not share what you and many others seem to is a continued animosity towards Tesla. I am VERY APPRECIATVE they opened up NACS, I'm appreciate they got deals done with other Manufacturers to access their network. I'm appreciative I can now road trip my truck with confidence. Do I wish the v3 cables were longer? yes. Do I feel that company owes me this at their extensive cost, no. They made a change in business philosophy, one that, again I am grateful for. I don't feel like they owe me anything. I will be appreciative to have a NACS to NACS extension available in the market because consumer options are good for consumers / users.

They made a very reasonable decision, once I again I am sure correlating with their mid-stream change in strategy regarding their charging network, to make the v4 designs different to still have a nice aesthetic while incorporating a longer cable for other vehicles. Again, I'm appreciative to Tesla for that as well.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I'm with you in that I probably wont buy it, as I assume it will be pricey. So we are in the same boat there.

However I do not share what you and many others seem to is a continued animosity towards Tesla. I am VERY APPRECIATVE they opened up NACS, I'm appreciate they got deals done with other Manufacturers to access their network. I'm appreciative I can now road trip my truck with confidence. Do I wish the v3 cables were longer? yes. Do I feel that company owes me this at their extensive cost, no. They made a change in business philosophy, one that, again I am grateful for. I don't feel like they owe me anything. I will be appreciative to have a NACS to NACS extension available in the market because consumer options are good for consumers / users.

They made a very reasonable decision, once I again I am sure correlating with their mid-stream change in strategy regarding their charging network, to make the v4 designs different to still have a nice aesthetic while incorporating a longer cable for other vehicles. Again, I'm appreciative to Tesla for that as well.
I have no animosity toward Tesla. I appreciate everything the company has done to pave the way for EV's. When our Mach-E options term is up, I'd like to get a Model-Y Performance. And I'm a Ford employee. I just feel that if they want to be the EV gas stations of the USA, they need to adapt their product to service us. Not the other way around.

Sponsored

StrikesTwice

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 VW GTI / 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Yeah, I’m happy to have access too. But don’t get it twisted. They’re doing it for the money. A boatload of public money. Once a company accepts public funds, the public has an expectation that the product works for them.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I'll still be charging, so wealthier, I guess.
I've had enough trips extended in very inconvenient ways due to blocked or inoperative chargers (including Superchargers - we've been Tesla owners since 2015) that I'll gladly buy a NACS extension cable to increase the likelihood that I can charge immediately any time I roll up to a Supercharger with an open space.

Though I'd rather, I think, the cable be CCS to CCS so I can use it to work around blocked CCS units as well.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I’m happy to have access too. But don’t get it twisted. They’re doing it for the money. A boatload of public money. Once a company accepts public funds, the public has an expectation that the product works for them.
Please provide your source that they are getting Government Money for the NACS deal with other EV manufacturers. I have heard this stated but never seen any evidence of it.

All the NEVI money requires CCS adapters from my understanding so only new Magic Docks in alignment with that States program and locations would qualify for that program.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have no animosity toward Tesla. I appreciate everything the company has done to pave the way for EV's. When our Mach-E options term is up, I'd like to get a Model-Y Performance. And I'm a Ford employee. I just feel that if they want to be the EV gas stations of the USA, they need to adapt their product to service us. Not the other way around.
They may change their minds... they've done it before. Great companies change their mind all the time.

StrikesTwice

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 VW GTI / 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Please provide your source that they are getting Government Money for the NACS deal with other EV manufacturers. I have heard this stated but never seen any evidence of it.

All the NEVI money requires CCS adapters from my understanding so only new Magic Docks in alignment with that States program and locations would qualify for that program.
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/27/tesla-biden-electric-car-charging-00143431#:~:text=The%20bipartisan%20infrastructure%20law%20set,Tesla's%20stations%20will%20be%20built.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ational-network-of-electric-vehicle-chargers/

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...5-bln-federal-program-white-house-2023-02-15/

I’m not hating on Tesla. It’s just reality…they’re not a charity, so don’t expect anything for free. And when you take public funds, you are now held accountable by the public.
Sponsored