• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Thank you for the insights here on charging operations.
Will the EA app show if a station is running at minimal power or is out of service?
It bugs me when I drive up to a station that looks OK, but then eventually flashes an out of service message. EA should turn the station from Green to Red!
Ford F-150 Lightning Tips for improving the charging experience (Electrify America) IMG_20230118_151628116_HDR

Ford F-150 Lightning Tips for improving the charging experience (Electrify America) IMG_20230107_172737272_HDR
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
This is crucial advice. Never plug in before starting the charge in the app because that will increase the risk of handshake failure. I think the communications protocol times out if too much time elapses between plugging in and starting the charge with the app or card reader. This is good advice for any vehicle, not just Ford vehicles.

Alternatively, you can use the EA app in Android Auto or Carplay to initiate the charge through your vehicle's screen before you even exit your vehicle.

I would highly recommend avoiding use of the card readers for skimming/security reasons and because of a higher rate of charge initiation failure.
Came here to say this..beat me to it.

There is a good chance plugging in first will brick the charger if your P&C account is not set up OR something is wonky with the Fordpass/Ford network system.

If this wasn't bad enough, the signage at the EA station instructs users to plug in first and tech support(worthless) will direct user to plug in first.. This will usually result in a failed handshake and the charger becoming bricked.

A friend of mine found out the hard way on his first trip with the Lightning. His previous vehicle(Chevy Bolt) did not have P&C and he was used to plugging in and then initiating the charge(per instructions).

I have had great success with EvGO autocharge+, but will not use EA P&C based upon failures I am seeing and the price issues.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Hey guys, thanks loads for the posts!!! I spent hours on the phone today with Ford and Electrify America and they all told me that I was just stuck with using Fordpass for EA charging. But this thread told me how to get around the automatic handshake with Fordpass so I could get EA Pass+ pricing.

I drove my F150L up to Colorado this last weekend and I quickly burned through the free 250 kWh. I was pretty shocked by how much Ford was sucking out of my bank account for charging after the free kWh ran out. I'm now looking forward on my next trip to Colorado to applying your suggestions of activating the chargers using the EA app before plugging in to avoid Fordpass.
Sponsored