• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ChargePoint, Electrify America

bosox8

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Iced Blue Silver Lariat ER, 2nd Wave
Occupation
Sales
Does the first Lightning have to plug in somewhere before these companies add the F150 Lightning as an option to add to your account. I emailed ChargePoint over a month ago - would like to set up my vehicle in the App as I have the charger installed awaiting my Lariat ER - no response - neither of these Apps offer the Lightning as an option of adding your vehicle.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm not sure having your vehicle loaded in the app does much for you. EA mentions "personalized charging experience" but I have no idea what that even means.
You can certainly charge without having a vehicle loaded.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I'm not sure having your vehicle loaded in the app does much for you. EA mentions "personalized charging experience" but I have no idea what that even means.
You can certainly charge without having a vehicle loaded.
It doesn't. In the case of ChargePoint L2 (both home and public) it merely gives you a slightly more accurate estimate of how many mile have been added to the GOM. Which is even more useless if you own more than one EV.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Does the first Lightning have to plug in somewhere before these companies add the F150 Lightning as an option to add to your account. I emailed ChargePoint over a month ago - would like to set up my vehicle in the App as I have the charger installed awaiting my Lariat ER - no response - neither of these Apps offer the Lightning as an option of adding your vehicle.
A lot sites wont add until the official launch date, be it charging, or after market accessories.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I have been using various charging apps (including chargepoint) since 2017. Other than the ability to use your phone to quickly turn on the charger and pay, they don't add any value at all. About the only thing that you get from adding your specific vehicle is a pretty picture in the app. Otherwise pretty pointless.

Also, I hate that there are so many apps. Its extremely annoying. I wish there was some standard.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I have been using various charging apps (including chargepoint) since 2017. Other than the ability to use your phone to quickly turn on the charger and pay, they don't add any value at all. About the only thing that you get from adding your specific vehicle is a pretty picture in the app. Otherwise pretty pointless.

Also, I hate that there are so many apps. Its extremely annoying. I wish there was some standard.
Like the BlueOval Charging Network? ;)

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
"personalized charging experience"? Do the electrons know your name?

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
I am confused. I thought the OP's question was about being able set up the App for his personal ChargePoint Home Flex charger. Does the charging station need to know what vehicle it is pumping electrons into so it charges at an optimum rate?

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I am confused. I thought the OP's question was about being able set up the App for his personal ChargePoint Home Flex charger. Does the charging station need to know what vehicle it is pumping electrons into so it charges at an optimum rate?
Not really, no.

Chargepoint is trying to be a "cloud service" to get more investment. So, like Tesla, they leverage the data they get from customers for profit. So, they want you to put in all their data so they can use that for their own means. You get a pretty picture, and a charging side guess-o-meter that is supposed to better guess when your car will be charged fully.

Thats about it.

I have a ClipperCreek charger (EVSE), and the only logic it has is the computer that talks to the car being charged and it says "Hey, I have power, you want some?" The car then says "Yes, gimme dat power!" And charging starts.

The truth of the matter is that the charger is actually built into your car. The thing on the wall everyone calls a charger is really an EVSE. All an EVSE can do is talk to your car, and offer power, then provide power. Your car does all the remaining work with the onboard charging hardware that it has.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Isn't the F150 supposed to be connection tied to charger instead of rfid or credit card or app? However the charger doesn't care what you plug in. It will charge if it can and you paid.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd
One additional tip about PlugShare, and why I use it, is that it shows all the chargers around from various vendors, and here is the key:

Ford F-150 Lightning ChargePoint, Electrify America Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 2.58.48 PM

Either on the website, or on the phone app, you can filter out what kind of charging port the charger has - and most of the time it will tell you if the charger is in use right now (not 100% accurate, but acceptable).

It does you no good to show up at a charger and find that it is a Tesla-Only charging location, and you don't own a Tesla.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Isn't the F150 supposed to be connection tied to charger instead of rfid or credit card or app? However the charger doesn't care what you plug in. It will charge if it can and you paid.
Yeah, but that has nothing to do with the original question.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Not really, no.

Chargepoint is trying to be a "cloud service" to get more investment. So, like Tesla, they leverage the data they get from customers for profit. So, they want you to put in all their data so they can use that for their own means. You get a pretty picture, and a charging side guess-o-meter that is supposed to better guess when your car will be charged fully.

Thats about it.

I have a ClipperCreek charger (EVSE), and the only logic it has is the computer that talks to the car being charged and it says "Hey, I have power, you want some?" The car then says "Yes, gimme dat power!" And charging starts.

The truth of the matter is that the charger is actually built into your car. The thing on the wall everyone calls a charger is really an EVSE. All an EVSE can do is talk to your car, and offer power, then provide power. Your car does all the remaining work with the onboard charging hardware that it has.
Not only does the charger in your vehicle say 'gimme dat power', it tells the EVSE how much it can accept. As it reaches full power, it will tell the EVSE that it is getting full and to slow down on the power level.
Sponsored